The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-11-2018, 05:40 PM

Default Looking for jazz guitarist semejant who can fix on Charles Mingus music or similar

The tittle says it all. I feel jazz brassīs music so respondent, i was listening Mingus "The complete town hall concert" (1994) - who seems it had a bad review when it came out but i listened and to me sounds great-, and I would really like to listen that kind of "punch" and energy in guitar, do you know something like this ?

I started not long time with jazz, when its about jazz guitar sometimes i find too mellow tunes, which i like, but i really like to play and listen that fast jazz, more swing style and bebop.

Also sometimes guitar jazz arrangements are too simple for me. In the Mingus music you hear lot of air instruments doing lot of sounds and melodies, and the arrangments have lot of dynamic, sometimes jazz guitar is too plain, just 1 guy soloing, and sometimes i like the idea to have more than 1 guitar, i really would like 3 guitars, or 4. Im a guitar lover, i want to listen much guitars as possible, like a good brass ensemble, rambling each other.

What do you think ? I also was listening Milt Hinton ("And friends: here swing the judge"), really like this thing.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 PM

Jeff Beck does the best guitar cover of Goodbye Porkpie Hat.

Do you have Amazon Prime where you are? If you do, and you have it, go into Amazon Music and just search for Mingus titles. Start with Goodbye Porkpie Hat. You might be surprised by how many covers you will get. The one with Joni Mitchells band with Jaco on bass is 2nd only to Jeff Beck.

Last edited by Johnny K; 11-12-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:57 PM

Sean Mcgowan can channel Monk. Bet he has some Mingus somewhere.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:17 AM

Look into Peter Bernstein!!
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man-Argentina View Post

...sometimes jazz guitar is too plain, just 1 guy soloing, and sometimes i like the idea to have more than 1 guitar, i really would like 3 guitars, or 4.
Here you go...

Jack Petersen, who is leading this group and who arranged all these tunes for the guitar ensemble, was my teacher for 3 years when I lived in Denton, TX as a young man. I'm still trying to master the material he taught me.

Last edited by 815C; 11-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Here you go...

Jack Petersen, who is leading this group and who arranged all these tunes for the guitar ensemble, was my teacher for 3 years when I lived in Denton, TX as a young man. I'm still trying to master the material he taught me.

Just listening the first minutes and sounds veeeeery nice. lets see hows continues, anyway, this is kind of something ive been looking, just see all those guitars make me have some musical ideas to make, so bad its not much of this.

Thanks. And thanks the others who replied, going to search for those players too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN