The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 PM

re Taylor NS....Having owned 2 Martin Brazilians, 1 D35, 2 Hummingbirds, 1 Dove, Gibson J45&50's, Gretch Country Gentleman, Strat, Tele...here is where I landed - the sum total of my 50 years of playing - see sig line.

If you are into bluegrass, probably not your choices. If you are into fingerstyle jazz like me, I can't find anything close. But, I can't go the 10K++ route, so I know there are many great guitars out there from small shops.

I play the Taylor 612NS more than the others combined. Love it. I run it (and all of them) through a LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI to a Boss ME 70 to a Roland AC 90. I use the Baggs for tone, the ME 70 for light effects and have the AC 90 effects off - why you ask?? when you hit 64, ask me then. Great hearing is not a permanent condition.

I will say this about the Taylor 612NS. It has the old Fishman electronics which in my opinion are better for the guitar. About a year ago I bought a Taylor 912CE-N thinking I was going to have my last guitar - I sent it back and kept the 2003 612NS.
Taylor NS74
Taylor T5 Cocobolo
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM

I took the Taylor factory tour today, and asked the guide if Taylor ever planned on offering a true classical guitar. He said, "We have been making them for about ten years now". I clarified my question, that I was not referring to the nylon series guitars that they already make, and he still did not understand my question. He never even heard of the term, "crossover". Hmmm, I just shut my mouth at that point and continued with the tour.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I took the Taylor factory tour today, and asked the guide if Taylor ever planned on offering a true classical guitar. He said, "We have been making them for about ten years now". I clarified my question, that I was not referring to the nylon series guitars that they already make, and he still did not understand my question. He never even heard of the term, "crossover". Hmmm, I just shut my mouth at that point and continued with the tour.
Taylor needs a new guide for their tour. Wow...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 PM

I'm in the St Louis area... quite a few guitar dealers.

I have only found one nylon Taylor to test drive... NS72CE (not in the current line up) in the St Louis area.

How do you go about evaluating models?

I'd like to play their 200, 500, and 900 series... low, mid, high end... during the same session.

If you wanted to play as many of their nylon models as possible... how would you accomplish that?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Well I spent some time with the JMSM which is basically an 72ce-N...

It played well and sounded pretty good but it was SO quiet that, as a pure acoustic guitar it was pretty much useless. I am sure it'd sound great plugged in but I've never heard such a quiet guitar.

Looks like I'll be doing some more searching to find a crossover...

Anyone else share this experience?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM

I just bought a 214ce-N a couple of days ago and have been playing the heck out of it since. I thought it was kind of quiet too-compared to some classicals I played. However, now it seems to have livened up some. I notice when it first comes out of the case it is subdued, but after 15-20 minutes it comes alive. The only other cross over I could find in my area was an Ovation. It was really quiet unplugged and the tone wasn't very good in my opinion either. Then again it was ~ $500 cheaper too. I have played other Taylor nylon strings that I thought were really quiet too-then others that weren't. I guess it just depends.................... I am happy with mine - love the neck and playability.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 04-07-2013, 03:18 PM

Yes, great neck and playability.

I wonder if the x14 body size makes it more usable acoustically and that's why it's working better for you
Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM

I had a prototype NS7 that sung. Medium volume, but rich sonically.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajone5 View Post
Yes, great neck and playability.

I wonder if the x14 body size makes it more usable acoustically and that's why it's working better for you
With the bigger sound chamber, I would think it would give it more volume (logic) Maybe the laminate has something to do with volume too. We need a sound engineer to weigh in on this-ha ha!

Guitars:
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Does anyone have an idea of what Taylor nylon this is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHje3Fh4GJo
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 PM

It is a steel string with a slot head. It is in the GS series, probably a GS 7 or 8. I think they went back to calling them the _12 series. I could be wrong on that.

Guitars:
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullouisf View Post
Hard to say without seeing the back. I appears to be a Grand Concert but I really can't tell the back and sides wood from the video? Note that she also seems to be using a mic and not the ES pickup (which it has) as there is one in front of her? The fact that is has ES means it is relatively new as they older ones used a Fishman pickup.

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullouisf View Post
Mike is right, that is a steel string with a slotted headstock.

Matt
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor nylon string guitars?

I have a 214CE-N that I will be selling. Long story short, I just don't play it. I bought it, immediately got involved with a group of folks playing classic rock and this now has about an hour and a half of play time on it. "As new" condition in the original gig bag. $700 shipped and PayPal'd.

PM me if you want pics and info. It'll be in the classifieds soon.

Thanks,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:26 AM

Wink

Well yesterday I picked up a Taylor NS54CE, as a few of you already heard. It was just the guitar I was looking for.
I have little expereince with nylon acoustics. While I was trying out the guitar out I overheard a phone call and it sounded like somebody else on the other end was interested in the same guitar I was test driving. I played it for 30 minutes and could not find anything to gripe about; I kept trying to wipe the smile off my face that kept forming while I played.
So I bought the **** thing.

On the way home I took it by my friends house who teaches classical music and owns quite a few classical high end boomer guitars. I told him what I wanted to do with it and how comfortable it was to me. He commented positively on it having a nice sound, finish, details, etc and noted it was a little quieter than most of his. He did give it a thumbs up and said it was easy to play.

I bought this nylon to get into more Bossa Nova style jazz genre. It's interesting, a few days before purchasing this guitar I barrowed my friends classical Takamine and it felt extremely foreign/ uncomfortable to me due to the "classical" wide flat neck.
So for a guy like me, that plays mostly steel string guitars, this Taylor NS54CE I believe will work out exactly for what I purchased it to do with some comfort and bling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical