The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-16-2018, 03:24 AM

Thumbs up

These are absolutely stunning beautiful guitars!!!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sound clips!

Thanks everyone for the compliments over these two guitars. However, I bet some of you would like to hear them as well. A fairly unique opportunity in our shop was to be able to record two deep body OMs at the same time. They both have Sitka Spruce tops, they both are long scale, they both have soundports and no cutaways. Only the back and sides are different. We recorded 4 short comparison pieces for you to try to suss out the differences between what Walnut does to a guitar compared to Indonesian Rosewood. Good luck! Actually, I think you can tell a difference, but what that is I will let you decide.

In each track, the Walnut OM is always first followed by the Indo OM. Cheap mic, no EQ, same audio file was used for all tracks.

Thanks for listening!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-24-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: took care of some autocorrect errors
Old 07-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Hmmm, First of all, thanks for doing that. It is a great chance for side to side comparisons, and I am not sure what I think because it is opposite of what my pre-conceived notions were.

First they both sound great, but that is a foregone conclusion!!!!

I am surprised in that I think the Walnut sounds more bright, crisp, sharper attack with slightly better note separation than the Rosewood and I would have expected the complete opposite.

Or does this really proves it is the tops that are the driving force for 90% of the sound and the back and sides not nearly as important as we try to make them beyond aesthetics.

I am sure there are smarter people with better knowledge that will make my comments moot, but I was surprised to find the opposite of what I thought.

Addendum: Played for both my daughter and Kathy independently and all three of us picked the Walnut...color me surprised to say the least. Again, both are fantastic, and very much alike in my opinion which is why I am so shocked we all 3 went for the same one as the differences are very subtle to my ear.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-24-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Ummm, WOW, don't know what to say other than spectacular. You guys have truly outdone yourselves. The OM45 is a true show stopper and the walnut is beautiful.
Martin J-41
Old 07-24-2018, 02:07 PM

I like the rosewood more - but very slightly. Both sound wonderful and look even better.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 AM

I hear almost no difference between the two the rose I think has more overtones but for some songs they just sound the same. What kind of mic was used to record them.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

It’s just a cheap Peavey mic from our church that’s more meant for speaking into than performing into. A high dollar mic would probably accentuate some of the differences, but alas I don’t have one of those yet.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Music soothes the soul!

The clips are great as usual. Hard to tell much difference except to say I hear the crispness in the Walnut Tom was talking about. Steve brought the OM45 with him to the East coast. Seeing it up close takes your breath away. I am happy to report it has taken up permanent residence next to my Madi OMDB. What a pair!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

To me, the walnut was crisper and a bit brighter (as noted by others), the rosewood seems full and rich, but not muddy in the least. If I were buying based on sound, it would the rosewood for me. I like a bit of heft in the bass. If I were buying on looks, that walnut back is killer! Great work, and thanks for sharing the recordings!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Steve brought the OM45 with him to the East coast. Seeing it up close takes your breath away. I am happy to report it has taken up permanent residence next to my Madi OMDB. What a pair!
Wow Dennis...what a pair of OMs! I hope the Indo OM finds a good spot in your collection. Nothing like joining the family all over again. Congrats and many thanks.

Old 07-29-2018, 02:56 PM

CONGRATS Dennis!!! Woot woot. Having seen that guitar in person, again I will say that the pictures do not come close to representing how beautiful it is. My memory is the rosewood is darker than in the pictures and with the abalone everywhere, front, back, neck etc. it is a show stopper.

I am not sure because I have not tested this theory yet, but I think once you get two or more Kinnairds, you get to stop by the shop and house at any time you want for free food, beverages, and to goof around with some wood out in the shop. Maybe you can try that first and let me know how it was!

Congrats Steve and Ryan on yet another world class instrument! Dennis, I look forward to the day when I get to hear your lovely voice paired with this fabulous guitar!
Old 07-29-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Dennis, I missed the part about permanent residence in your care, congratulations!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 PM

Man those are both AWSOME looking guitars...And they sound pretty darn good to
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 07-30-2018, 07:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Steve for the nice compliments! Hopefully we’ll hear before long how the second guitar delivery went...

Old 07-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Beautiful OM’s. Congrats guys.

Thanks for posting the sound clips too. It’s very interesting to me to listen to a couple of guitars built so similarly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop