The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Boomy Low End

Setup: Guild D-50 BG through a LR Baggs PARA DI.

I can't seem to tame that low-end boom. It specifically get's really loud when I play a B note on the low E string even though I have that note notched out on my DI. Overall I feel like I have an out of balance sound happening whenever I fret a note on the low E string.

For example, I play an open C with an open E in the bass it sounds OK but... soon as I play that same chord and play a G in the bass it's boomy and out of balance.

Any ideas? I want an even, clear, warm sound. These booms jump out at you. Should I get a separate EQ pedal?

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-13-2018 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

The D50 BS is a rosewood dread and will have a pronounced low end. EQ will work. Does your amp have EQ? If not, get an EQ pedal.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Reverse phase?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM

This is one of the reasons I like dual systems so much. A mic mounted inside the guitar can sound wonderful on the higher frequencies but get really boomy and feedback prone on the lows. My Schertler AG-6/S-Mic biases the mix towards the magnetic pickup for the lows and towards the mic for the highs. The LR Baggs Anthem does the same thing but with an undersaddle pickup for the lows and a lyric style mic for the highs.

With the pickup you have, a high pass filter can work wonders. Often the bass EQ knob takes too much good bottom end. It’s another reason I like my Elite Acoustic D6-8 so much. It is one of the few acoustic amps that has the things you need to tame a guitar like this already onboard: phase reverse, high pass, sweepable mid and a notch filter.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 PM

It is possible you don't have the offending note notched out correctly. Keep trying. More on that in moment. I forget if the PARA DI has a phase button, if so, this is the time to use it. If that doesn't work, just turn the bass knob down a bit.

About notch filters. I read this technique from the Pendulum SPS-1 user guide. I assume it was written by Greg, the guy who made one of the world's best 2 channel acoustic guitar preamp. Here is what in essence he said to do.

Turn your volume up to the point of almost feeding back without playing a note. Begin tapping on your guitar top around the bridge area and even on the bridge Find the most resonant spot. It will create feedback. Quickly dial your notch filter until that ringing goes away. You have found the most resonant frequency and turned it down. Some people don't like the resulting sound. User tastes vary. It will bring out the mids and brightness of your guitar to cut through the mix of a band. The muddy low end will disappear. It will tighten up your low end and it won't be boomy. Well, there are no absolutes. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villalobos View Post
Setup: Guild D-50 BG through a LR Baggs PARA DI.

I can't seem to tame that low-end boom. It specifically get's really loud when I play a B note on the low E string even though I have that note notched out on my DI. Overall I feel like I have an out of balance sound happening whenever I fret a note on the low E string.

For example, I play an open C with an open E in the bass it sounds OK but... soon as I play that same chord and play a G in the bass it's boomy and out of balance.

Any ideas? I want an even, clear, warm sound. These booms jump out at you. Should I get a separate EQ pedal?
Well, the PARI DI's notch filter can be set to 247 Hz, which is the exact pitch of a B note on the 7th fret of the 6th string in standard tuning. That should remove that resonance.

Often resonances are a composite of a fundamental pitch and octave pitches above, e.g., 247 Hz + 494 Hz + 988 Hz..... One experiment you can do it to use the notch filter as you have and add a cut in the semi-parametric mid control, set at 494 Hz. That mid cut will have a narrower preset Q so it will affect more frequencies than a notch filter (which has a much higher Q) at that same frequency.

The PADI's notch filter 247 Hz setting is its upper center frequency limit. Perhaps it doesn't work well at that upper limit frequency.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-13-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:01 PM

The ParaDI is an eq.
Probably just need to work with it a bit.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM

In what setting is this happening? Where is the guitar? Where is the amp? In what sort of room? Home playing or gig? Etc.

Louis
Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Does the guitar sound boomy unplugged?
80/20 instead of phosphor bronze helped on an HD28 i had, both plugged and unplugged.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-14-2018, 03:25 AM

Quite normal. You need to take out some of the low mods and possibly a little bass.

On my preamps miss are always dialed down to 9 o’clock
Martin J40
Old 07-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
It is possible you don't have the offending note notched out correctly. Keep trying. More on that in moment. I forget if the PARA DI has a phase button, if so, this is the time to use it. If that doesn't work, just turn the bass knob down a bit.

About notch filters. I read this technique from the Pendulum SPS-1 user guide. I assume it was written by Greg, the guy who made one of the world's best 2 channel acoustic guitar preamp. Here is what in essence he said to do.

Turn your volume up to the point of almost feeding back without playing a note. Begin tapping on your guitar top around the bridge area and even on the bridge Find the most resonant spot. It will create feedback. Quickly dial your notch filter until that ringing goes away. You have found the most resonant frequency and turned it down. Some people don't like the resulting sound. User tastes vary. It will bring out the mids and brightness of your guitar to cut through the mix of a band. The muddy low end will disappear. It will tighten up your low end and it won't be boomy. Well, there are no absolutes. Good luck.
I see you resisted the urge to recommend the obvious, get a set of Dazzos that match the characteristics of the guitar. Having Dazzos installed in my sixth guitar as I write this. I now would have to buy another guitar to get more Dazzos.

But I do have a few mandolins.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-24-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Well, the PARI DI's notch filter can be set to 247 Hz, which is the exact pitch of a B note on the 7th fret of the 6th string in standard tuning. That should remove that resonance.

Often resonances are a composite of a fundamental pitch and octave pitches above, e.g., 247 Hz + 494 Hz + 988 Hz..... One experiment you can do it to use the notch filter as you have and add a cut in the semi-parametric mid control, set at 494 Hz. That mid cut will have a narrower preset Q so it will affect more frequencies than a notch filter (which has a much higher Q) at that same frequency.

The PADI's notch filter 247 Hz setting is its upper center frequency limit. Perhaps it doesn't work well at that upper limit frequency.
I don't believe that 247hz is right for a B note on the Low E string...i do believe it is ~123hz in standard tuning! 247hz would be the B note on the D string.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Safest bet in my experience is a sound hole plug, dealing with the cause rather than the effect.

It will change the acoustic sound of the instrument but then you just take it out to play acoustic. It makes very little difference to an amplified sound apart from solving the problem you describe very effectively.

I'm assuming you're using a (ust/sbt) pickup, mics/blends are a whole other bag of cats.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Safest bet in my experience is a sound hole plug, dealing with the cause rather than the effect.

It will change the acoustic sound of the instrument but then you just take it out to play acoustic. It makes very little difference to an amplified sound apart from solving the problem you describe very effectively.

I'm assuming you're using a (ust/sbt) pickup, mics/blends are a whole other bag of cats.
Hey there, i actually run a dual source system with a Dimarzio black angel and k&k fantastick UST through a Grace Felix. I occasionally run the pure mini with either of the 2 as well since its also installed. When both pickups are in phase on a 50/50 mix i also have an attenuated B-C note on the low E string,(i'm also tuned 1/2 step down). This is also consistent with the K&k pure mini in normal phase, or the black angel by itself, and even the es1v3, if i remember correctly when it was in my taylor.
Now, If i reverse the phase on one source i seem to lose my bottom end(even when isolating each pickup seperately), and also the now resonant note changes, I believe to an E note played on the A string, and/or B note on the D string. So with what i believe is in phase for both pickups running dual source, i just use the HPF on the Felix around 125hz, typically for both pickups but it varies.

Anyone can def chime in here with any phase experiences/info!!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 AM

I agree with the soundhole plug.
What your getting sounds like cavity feedback.
when you dial that freq out compleatly you
wont like the resulting tone. The plug will enable
you to keep some of that low end. with no
resonance from the cavity. as long as you can
hear the guitar. The plug makes it more difficult
to hear the acoustic sound. So a monitor is nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
boomy, tone