The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 AM

Default Woody Mann Lessons

I am really inspired by some samples of his playing on Youtube so I want to make a deeper dive. I seem recommendations on his various teaching sources such as Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop, Woody's own lesson site, and his books.

If anyone can point out the merits of one verses the other it will help me know where to best spend my dollars and time.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I started with Woody Mann's stuff with this book, The Complete Acoustic Blues Guitar Method. 51 songs which you download with a website and code provided with the book. Absolutely the best $20 you will ever spend. I've had this book for 2 or 3 years and it's still entertaining. Woody also has some video downloads available at Homespun as well. One thing you have to be careful of is that once in a while Woody changes the names of his songs so you might have some duplicates, video vs songbook, but it's still helpful to watch him play.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I was waiting for Barry to plug this book, as I bought it a while back on his recommendation. It is fantastic is all I can say. The tunes are challenging and very rewarding. Woody deserves a wider audience as a player and a music educator in my opinion. You might enjoy his autobiographical book, too, he has had quite a career in many genres.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Great input. I just ordered The Complete Acoustic Guitar Blues Method.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write