The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Default Farmer's Market player - YIKES!

Almost every town in this area has them one day a week in the summer, and most want someone playing music - and most either don't pay anything or pay very low - $25-$75 for up to 4 hours.

Went to a FM on Saturday, outside, small one. Could hear the guitar player for quite a distance, didn't sound good. When I got closer, I saw he (20-something player) was playing through a small electric guitar amp and the distortion on his acoustic was pretty bad. Half the time he was just noodling, but then he did a song - singing with no mic. No one was coming near him, and there was no money I could see in his open guitar case (I didn't get too close either). I almost always throw a buck or two into a player's case when I see them, but this guy (IMO) was giving players a bad name.

Moral of the story - your sound system set up DOES matter!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 07-10-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Almost every town in this area has them one day a week in the summer, and most want someone playing music - and most either don't pay anything or pay very low - $25-$75 for up to 4 hours.

Went to a FM on Saturday, outside, small one. Could hear the guitar player for quite a distance, didnt' sound good. When I got closer, I saw he 20-something player) was playing through a small electric guitar amp and the distortion on his acoustic was pretty bad. Half the time he was just noodling, but then he did a song - singing with no mic. No one was coming near him, and there was no money I could see in his open guitar case (I didn't get too close either). I almost always throw a buck or two into a player's case when I see them, but this guy (IMO) was giving players a bad name.

Moral of the story - your sound system set up DOES matter!
Or maybe the moral of the story is: You get what you pay for.

side note: I was asked to play at a "farmer's market" last weekend in my old hometown. Of course, I was supposed to do it for free to support my old community out of the goodness of my heart. Except that it was really wasn't a farmers market, it was a sidewalk sale for a couple of businesses owned by the same person. Sorry, I'm not going to do free advertising for you...
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

I almost always go check out players at Farmer's Markets, and chat with them whether they are any good or not.

I have lived in our city for 43 years, and love knowing other musicians on both a casual and more personal basis.

I remember the people who encouraged me when I was young, presumptuous and anything but proficient on my instrument. It was the encouragement which drove to be better - that and people who would hang out and show me stuff.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 AM

I play our FM a couple of times each summer. Pays $100 for three hours so you don't do it for the money. However, I've found other benefits from it. You almost always get your picture in the paper, which doesn't hurt. Also, the chamber of commerce, which manages the FM, has several other higher paying gigs throughout the year. They always throw a couple of them my way and I think doing these FM gigs for them helps get some of the better paying work later in the year. I take a stripped down rig: Bose S1, guitar and mic stand. No preamp, effects, loopers, etc. Makes you focus on what you're putting out there. It's a very mellow gig so I get to play lots of laid back tunes and work on new stuff as well.

I got real brave and dusted off the ol' 1984 Ovation for this past weekend...
Rupp FM (2).jpg
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I play our FM a couple of times each summer. Pays $100 for three hours so you don't do it for the money.
Lol - I think you'll find a lot of people would love to get paid $100 for a FM gig!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Fm gigs are fun ..weather permitting. most don’t pay well so 100 for a fm gig is pretty good.Ive played a few where the vendors have fed me or sent me home
With some fresh organic meat eggs and corn.qAlways nice meeting folks
At these things and yes the talent isn’t always great but you gotta start
Somewhere..
I find if a vendor gives me an ice tea on a hot day it’s nice to say over
The pa that it’s the finest ice tea in the whole county . You’d be suprised
How many other vendors may respond in kind...ha
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM

I play for our town's farmers market several times in the course of the summer, maybe once a month. I enjoy it, in fact I kind of think of it as good practice because you need to perform for two hours in front of living people and all your amplification has to work and the pay is $50 and tips. I also see a lot of friends walking by and it is always nice event for the town. Unless it rains, in which case it really sucks.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lol - I think you'll find a lot of people would love to get paid $100 for a FM gig!
Methos, if you want to make the trip I can get you the gig!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-09-2018, 04:13 PM

Wait. There are farmers markets that offer payment for performing?
Old 07-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Cocobologist

I've been playing our local FM at least once a month for the past 11 years. No pay - strictly, "For the love of the sport". Not even an open case for tips...

I love doing it, and both the patrons and vendors are appreciative.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

side note: I was asked to play at a "farmer's market" last weekend in my old hometown. Of course, I was supposed to do it for free to support my old community out of the goodness of my heart. Except that it was really wasn't a farmers market, it was a sidewalk sale for a couple of businesses owned by the same person. Sorry, I'm not going to do free advertising for you...

Absolutely agree.

Sidewalk/park/subway busking is an honorable practice. But playing a typical farmer's market is so creepy - it's the acoustic equivalent of playing in a band on a cruise ship.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post

Ah yes there are always those that would like you to play for the exposure.
I read somewhere where you can ask the business owner to cater your private party.
They can bring their food and a keg of beer.You can’t pay them but just think of the exposure....ha
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
You can tell Methos is from my neck of the woods! There was one FM advertising recently for a weekday afternoon, 4 hours, $50 - they were trying to fill out a few dates for the rest of the summer. They found plenty of people to do it.
I understand there will be tips for the good players, but on a weekday afternoon, I can't imagine the attendance is going to be that great compared to the weekend FMs.

Now maybe if I was retired, this would be a great way to fill an afternoon (but I'm not) and the people jumping on these opportunities are usually younger people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
I've been playing our local FM at least once a month for the past 11 years. No pay - strictly, "For the love of the sport". Not even an open case for tips...

I love doing it, and both the patrons and vendors are appreciative.
Well, that's great if you don't mind working for nothing, but by doing that you have "set the standard", and they won't ever think of paying someone to do it. Not sure why you wouldn't want tips, though...

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You can tell Methos is from my neck of the woods! There was one FM advertising recently for a weekday afternoon, 4 hours, $50 - they were trying to fill out a few dates for the rest of the summer. They found plenty of people to do it.
I understand there will be tips for the good players, but on a weekday afternoon, I can't imagine the attendance is going to be that great compared to the weekend FMs.

Now maybe if I was retired, this would be a great way to fill an afternoon (but I'm not) and the people jumping on these opportunities are usually younger people.

Well, that's great if you don't mind working for nothing, but by doing that you have "set the standard", and they won't ever think of paying someone to do it. Not sure why you wouldn't want tips, though...
I'm not the person you quoted, but I feel similar to what he posted. I own my own business and do well for myself. Music, to me, isn't so much about the few bucks I might get from tips. I just like to sing and play.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Default in lieu of allowance

My sons and I have performed at the biggest farmer's market (we have many) and they get to split up whatever the take is. We've gotten as much as $300 in the bucket on the best day. We play popular songs from the 60s/70s/80s and we harmonize. One of us always mans the washtub bass (mostly for the visual appeal).

When someone comes by with a small child in a stroller, we'll immediately switch over to children's songs and woooosh! All the parents with kids in the vicinity swarm in. It is almost always a lot of fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification