The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Some new Silly Moustache videos

Hi, In February last years upon hearing my diagnosis of throat/tongue cancer ad being warned of the side effects My little trio and I decided to record some live performances in a little rehearsal hall - just .. in...case.

Here are some examples:

Well I survived, mostly, but sadly, my singing abilities have suffered as a result of the treatment.
However, we recruited a young lady called Sophie who has been performing as lead singer with us, but as some of the sharper eyes may discern, she is shortly to have her first baby this month, so we though we'd repeat the exercise.
Here are some songs we recorded last Wednesday (sorry about the poor lighting).

I hope you find them enjoyable and we'd welcome any comments either here or on YouTube.

And there's more !

If you do - thanks for watching/listening.

Ol' Andy
Old 07-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Wow! What a treat. Thank you.

I'd never say your voice hasn't changed-- I'm not a liar and you're not a fool. But, the newer pieces of you singing are absolutely lovely. You may not have the same range or stamina (I'd be the last one to judge though) but you still have vocal talent only topped by your musical talent.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
Wow! What a treat. Thank you.

I'd never say your voice hasn't changed-- I'm not a liar and you're not a fool. But, the newer pieces of you singing are absolutely lovely. You may not have the same range or stamina (I'd be the last one to judge though) but you still have vocal talent only topped by your musical talent.
Yeah this. It is certainly still a treat to listen to you perform.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Andy, I enjoyed all these videos and I hope that you and your trio continue to make music, and that the lady singer's baby is safely delivered when the time comes.

If I might make one very minor suggestion, when y'all are doing "Walk Right In", IMHO the lady singer should sing the note of C when it comes to "do you wanna lose your MIND", instead of going up to D (which is of course the chord played at that point). That was how the Rooftop Singers did it back in the day.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Andy, I enjoyed all these videos and I hope that you and your trio continue to make music, and that the lady singer's baby is safely delivered when the time comes.

If I might make one very minor suggestion, when y'all are doing "Walk Right In", IMHO the lady singer should sing the note of C when it comes to "do you wanna lose your MIND", instead of going up to D (which is of course the chord played at that point). That was how the Rooftop Singers did it back in the day.
mmm, interesting!
Do I dare tell an independent young woman what to do? We'll see!
If you see my next videos featuring me with a black eye, you'll know I tried!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:21 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
mmm, interesting!
I've told women what to do and never had them say even a single word to me! (They just weren't in the same room with me when I did it.)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
mmm, interesting!
Andy, I am sure your people skills are more than sufficient to achieve a satisfactory result. You could of course download the Rooftop Singers original version from Youtube and play it to her at your next rehearsal !
Old 07-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Well done SM!

I am very glad to know that you are recovering as best you can. Going through all that can shake a person right to the core.

I salute you for your efforts in fighting back, and I enjoyed your videos here! Well done!

- Glenn
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Explaing my vocal issues - only read if really interested!

Thanks for watching.
For those who might be interested, I have managed to get most of my voice and projection back, apart from the higher registers that I used to use quite a lot, but the real problem is that the radio therapy on my neck and/or the appalling ulceration inside and outside my mouth, has killed off my saliva glands so every time I open my mouth my mouth becomes completely dry, and whilst this is unpleasant, it soon spreads to my throat and it is very difficult to explain what a completely dry throat feels like ... but it isn't pleasant.
Yes there are chemical sprays and gels advertised to imitate saliva but they last for about 3-4 minutes and then you become completely, sandpaper dry.

Some days are better than others and doing stuff like "eating" (no a chore, rarely pleasant), just makes matters worse.

I'd give one of my guitars to get my spit back!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell