The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2021, 11:51 AM

Default Fumbling chords

When I first pick up the guitar and play a progression of chords it often goes smoothly for a few progressions and I'm thinking wow I've got this, and then I start fumbling the chord changes.
Any thoughts and or suggestions, besides the obvious of practicing/playing more? Does this kind of thing happen to any of you?
Old 02-17-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Chas,

Both during practice and at the occasional gig I'll be (like you) grooving along just fine, really feelin' it -- and then I start thinking about something else (easy to do at a restaurant gig where there activity all over) -- and I hit a bad chord or lose my spot in my sheet music -- in other words, THINKING leads to distraction. And when you make a mistake, just keep going like it never happened. When practicing you might stop and reflect on your mistake, but not at a gig.

Happy strumming!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Chas,

Both during practice and at the occasional gig I'll be (like you) grooving along just fine, really feelin' it -- and then I start thinking about something else (easy to do at a restaurant gig where there activity all over) -- and I hit a bad chord or lose my spot in my sheet music -- in other words, THINKING leads to distraction. And when you make a mistake, just keep going like it never happened. When practicing you might stop and reflect on your mistake, but not at a gig.

Happy strumming!

Yep it’s easy to get distracted, or even sabotage yourself by just being happy you’re nailing the chords. Then you start to worry about keeping up the groove and that’s when you start messing up. Just feel the music and if you mess up, just keep going.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

How does that saying go? Oh yeah, "Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-17-2021, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm slowing down (slower than you'd actually want to play it) during practice
a lot... as slow as it takes to play all the right notes and do all the rolls or
whatever. And with a metronome some of the time. Not so much that it is
not fun to practice, but enough that I think it is doing some good.

-Mike
Old 02-18-2021, 05:51 AM

When I was learning to ski as soon as I’d think “hey, I’m doing alright!” Boom, down I’d go.
Now that I’m learning to play guitar, as soon as I think “hey, I’m doing alright!” Boom, down I go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write