The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-31-2018, 02:53 AM

Post Lullaby suggestions?

I have a confession to make; I'm not a guitar player, I'm a writer. My dad's a guitar player, however, and my favorite thing as a child was listening to him sing and play guitar.

Right now I'm writing a character who does play guitar, He's the new father of a baby boy, and the setting is late 1990's early 2000's, and I need suggestions. Something he could play to help his son get to sleep, something that could become to him and his son what "the cat came back" became to my dad and me. I'd use "the Cat Came back", but it's a little too lively for an infant. I need good lullabies. I tried asking my dad, but we got distracted by explaining what "the cat came back" was to our tenant.

If this helps at all, the character in question is gay, soft-spoken, and in a band, the child is his via surrogacy.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:16 AM

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...riDAJ0VyY_PwUQ
Old 08-31-2018, 06:20 AM

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 AM

The Beatles Goodnight

https://vimeo.com/224431725

Last edited by TominNJ; 08-31-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggycas View Post
Right now I'm writing a character who does play guitar, He's the new father of a baby boy...
Are you looking for an existing song that you want to include in your... what ever it is? Is it a film, a stage play, a book, or...? Does it have to be in the Public Domain?

Couch Standards
Old 09-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
My wife used to sing this to our kids when they were tiny. I was never down with the message. "Your parents will throw money at problem after problem and it'll never end. You'll wind up broke but you'll still have your looks."

Couch Standards
Old 09-02-2018, 06:55 AM

One of the best non-traditional ltems:

“Lullaby” by Trout Fishing In America:

https://youtu.be/Z3CiH4AePL8
Old 09-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I have a confession to make; I'm not a guitar player, I'm a writer. My dad's a guitar player, however, and my favorite thing as a child was listening to him sing and play guitar.

Right now I'm writing a character who does play guitar, He's the new father of a baby boy, and the setting is late 1990's early 2000's, and I need suggestions. Something he could play to help his son get to sleep, something that could become to him and his son what "the cat came back" became to my dad and me. I'd use "the Cat Came back", but it's a little too lively for an infant. I need good lullabies. I tried asking my dad, but we got distracted by explaining what "the cat came back" was to our tenant.

If this helps at all, the character in question is gay, soft-spoken, and in a band, the child is his via surrogacy.

Although I'm not sure how a lullaby would reference/reflect sexual preference or surrogacy, there's been a number of good suggestions so far...

There's an almost unlimited number of songs about a parent's unconditional love for their child...

Just pick something traditional or a soothing parent/child oriented tune from the time frame you're working with...

Last edited by Denny B; 09-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:08 AM

Hushabye Mountain from Chitty Chitty Bang bang is a fantastic lullaby.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Are you looking for an existing song that you want to include in your... what ever it is? Is it a film, a stage play, a book, or...? Does it have to be in the Public Domain?
It's a fanfiction actually, so public domain doesn't matter because it mostly falls under fair use because I make no profit from the mention
Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

James Scott Skinner's "The Cradle Song". Now I like it on flute, but you're probably looking for a guitar rendition:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 09-03-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Although I'm not sure how a lullaby would reference/reflect sexual preference or surrogacy, there's been a number of good suggestions so far...
it really doesn't, but it does reflect the character's personality, showing that the baby in question is long sought-after and loved all the more because of how much work it took to have him
Old 09-03-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
it really doesn't, but it does reflect the character's personality, showing that the baby in question is long sought-after and loved all the more because of how much work it took to have him

As a writer, I can see how you're trying to establish your fictional character's personality...

But I must say, from my experiences as a real life Father, that no child was ever wanted or loved more than my own...and as Grandfather to 6 beautiful grandchildren, I'm positive that their Fathers feel the same...

So, as a reader, I'm just not sure I would grasp the plot concept that a fictional character loved or cared for his child, born under any circumstances, more than I loved my own...just IMO...

But, not to derail your thread, I hope your writing endeavor proves productive and fulfilling for you...
Old 09-03-2018, 10:56 AM

Amazing Grace
Goodnight Irene
Can't Help Falling In Love With You
Greensleeves
Wonderful World
Sleepwalk
Kumbaya
Red Is The Rose
Wild Mountain Thyme
Fields of Gold
Love Me Tender
The Rose
Danny Boy
Annie's Song
Old 09-04-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
As a writer, I can see how you're trying to establish your fictional character's personality...

But I must say, from my experiences as a real life Father, that no child was ever wanted or loved more than my own...and as Grandfather to 6 beautiful grandchildren, I'm positive that their Fathers feel the same...

So, as a reader, I'm just not sure I would grasp the plot concept that a fictional character loved or cared for his child, born under any circumstances, more than I loved my own...just IMO...

But, not to derail your thread, I hope your writing endeavor proves productive and fulfilling for you...
I don't think it's possible to love a baby more than the average parent (below average parents are another story) but for parents who have to try harder, ones who thought it was never possible, there is a little bit more wonder, this is a miracle feeling, I think. This might be personal experience, mom was told she couldn't get pregnant, and my brother almost killed her, so when she got pregnant with me, she had to go through like 5 doctors before she could find one that let her have me. He did demand dad get his tubes tied so there weren't any more of us, but that's neither here nor there, my point is we were miracles, and she never let us forget it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
song suggestions