The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-01-2018, 07:48 AM

Smile

Gold Tone cello banjos (4 string, 5 strings) are portable and can be quite loud un-amplified. An internet search for 'gold tone cello banjo review' returns lots of info and videos.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:45 AM

I'm a huge Taylor fan but I hated their bass. I had a Fender version of the acoustic bass but didn't like how the head kept tilting down even with a strap on.

I no longer own an acoustic bass BUT if I were to go back to it my two choices I would consider are:
Ovation
Warwick

I would lean towards Ovation due to how weather and stuff really doesn't effect it and with an acoustic bass I would just bang it around and not really care. But that is just me.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

You should check out the "Guitar Scale Acoustic Bass" thread at Talkbass.com . There you will find discussion of short scale basses similar to the Taylor one made by Guild, Ibanez, Goldtone, and several other makers. Also, several posters have recommended Labella cb40 strings as substitutes for the stock d'Adarios.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic Bass

Several months ago, I was in the same position: Wanting to expand my repertoire with a bass.
I stumbled upon a Fender Squire VI - a six string electric bass.
It offers a much expanded tonal pallet versus the traditional four string.
I am sooooo smitten by this guitar.
It is a MUST try!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgph View Post
You should check out the "Guitar Scale Acoustic Bass" thread at Talkbass.com . There you will find discussion of short scale basses similar to the Taylor one made by Guild, Ibanez, Goldtone, and several other makers. Also, several posters have recommended Labella cb40 strings as substitutes for the stock d'Adarios.
Thanks, an interesting thread on talkbass.com. I already made my choice and went for Ibanez PNB14E, I'm very happy with it. Never heard about these Labella strings, could be a good and cheaper option to the d'addario strings.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Thanks, an interesting thread on talkbass.com. I already made my choice and went for Ibanez PNB14E, I'm very happy with it. Never heard about these Labella strings, could be a good and cheaper option to the d'addario strings.
I choose the PNB14E as well, based on that Talkbase thread. I found a used one online at a GC. Picking it up tomorrow in Asheville. My understanding about the Labella strings (apart from being cheaper) is that they are more mellow and slightly quieter unamplified than the d'Adarios. And some described them as having a "softer" feel.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I choose the PNB14E as well, based on that Talkbase thread. I found a used one online at a GC. Picking it up tomorrow in Asheville. My understanding about the Labella strings (apart from being cheaper) is that they are more mellow and slightly quieter unamplified than the d'Adarios. And some described them as having a "softer" feel.
Let us know how you like it. Regarding the strings I love the d'Addario strings' sound, they give more 'acoustic' feel than what you hear from a typical acoustic bass. But it's good to know there are alternatives.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Picked up my used Ibanez PNB14e acoustic bass today. Tested it acoustically and amped at the GC and it checked out fine. It's plenty loud unamped for practice, and maybe with one acoustic instrument. But like all acoustic bass guitars that i am aware of, it will need to be amped to play in a group. Since i'm primarily a guitar player, i appreciate the guitar length scale -- 24.75".

The real test will be tomorrow, when i get together with my fellow retirees for jamming. We'll see how it behaves with three acoustic guitars, a banjo, an occasional flute, and some vocals.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:16 AM

As a bass player myself I owned a Kala U-Bass and it is okay as long as you stick to around the 7th fret. After that it gets kind of tight for your fingers.

I did mess around with the Fender Kingman but it is so top heavy wants to fall down head first.

Just try what a store has and go from there. But I have to say, as someone that is a huge fan of Taylor guitars, I hated their acoustic bass.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Well, now i have played my Ibanez guitar-scale acoustic bass through 4 acoustic jams using an Ampeg BA108. With 3 or more guitars and 1-2 bluegrass banjos and another instrument or two it has come through very well, with the guitar volume setting at 12:00 and the amp volume no higher than the 9:00 position. I'm really happy with this inexpensive little bass. And the fact that i can now practice without being plugged in is a definite plus.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:23 AM

Given that an amp is likely needed, I usually recommend something like Godin's chambered piezo basses.

I played around with Taylor's short scale acoustic bass. Nifty, but can't possibly stand up to my DN, OM, and/or a vocalist with some volume.

I once tried a Dearmond Ashbory bass. I am a long time fretless player and these were very difficult for me to intonate. Nice tone, though.

My choice is a Rob Allen. Good tone. Fits in a regular gig bass. Good bass for acoustic tones and does well in many other genres, other than metal.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

That Rob Allen is a very classy looking bass. But as a guitar player who occasionally pretends to play bass for a jam group, the scale is undoubtedly too long for me. I am lovin' my guitar scale Ibanez.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
That Rob Allen is a very classy looking bass. But as a guitar player who occasionally pretends to play bass for a jam group, the scale is undoubtedly too long for me. I am lovin' my guitar scale Ibanez.
FYI Rob Allen makes a short-scale, similarly-priced version called the Mouse. You might also check out Birdsong basses, including their Shortbass model (the name says it all) starting at $1250; if weight is a consideration you might be able to talk them into building you a one-off of their discontinued Featherbass, which scales in somewhere in the low-/mid-five pound range - comparable to many acoustic guitars and as light as it gets in a solidbody instrument...
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM

The old adage"tone is in the fingers" really does have a place in the "i want it to sound like an upright" thing.good flatwound strings(roto 88s,la bella,tomastick) a decent pickup and EQ and more or less most mid range acoustic basses will get you in the park,but only a lot of time and patience and experimentation will enable you to get the sought after "mwah" that defines the upright sound.good luck.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a Taylor GSMini e bass a few weeks ago. It's a fun bass and sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments