The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-07-2018, 02:49 PM

All the heavy metal groups that got me playing on the electric as a teenager tuned down 1/2 step permanently. They never recorded anything in concert tuning. So that Em sound I love and have burned into my mind's ear is really Ebm. Eb is used in classical but is only available on a concert pitched guitar by using a capo e.g. capo on 3 and use key of C chord shapes.

Recently I have been practicing bluegrass and old time flatpicking tunes where the capo is always needed to use chord shapes that are smoothly connectable with runs up and down. Since I'm always capoing anyways I tuned down 1/2 and just capo at one to get concert pitch. Take the capo off and I have that heavenly Eb with the open E.

Turns out all the years of practicing my Em scales up and down the neck transitions right into bluegrass where most things are played with G chord shapes, since Em is also G major!

I'm a big fan of the 1/2 step down tuning for the extra sonic versatility and the slight reduction in string tension makes things a little easier on the left hand. What's not to like?
Old 09-07-2018, 03:24 PM

I have a cheapo beater guitar that I use for lessons when I know I'm going to have to leave in the car (Alabama summers), and I tuned it down a half stepa couple of weeks ago. Anyway, that thing sounds fantastic. Just kinda dead before that.

I capo first fret to play with others playing standard.

Finding the right tuning can really help cheaper guitars apparently.

Last edited by mattbn73; 09-07-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:41 PM

I keep most of my acoustics 1/2 step down just because it's easier on my voice. I like the tone too. My Lowden loves being tuned down 1/2 step or DADGAD.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:47 PM

I mean...just try it. You're not gonna hurt the guitar, what can you lose?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 09-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
A ton of guys who play electric tune down 1/2 step...
I read this frequently, but cannot recall anyone notable for tuning down other than SRV. Could you - and others - please add to the list of the “ton of guys” tuning their electric guitars down a half step?

Thanks.

George
Old 09-09-2018, 05:43 AM

I tune my guitar a whole step down as it gives me better singing keys for some songs and if I need to be in standard tuning I just capo on the second fret. Also tuning a whole step down gives you keys better with better intonation for the third note .
Old 09-09-2018, 07:09 AM

I have been a fan of Drop 3 Tuning for many years. When I do use the capo I only capo 2nd fret. Easier on voice, fingers, and sounds much warmer. Not to mention less tension on the guitar.

Drop 3 from standad tuning: Tune guitar C# F# B E G# C#

Capo on 2nd fret makes tuning D# G# C# F# A# D#

Capo on 3rd fret will put you in standard tuning E A D G B E

Try it and you will love it.

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 09-09-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
I read this frequently, but cannot recall anyone notable for tuning down other than SRV. Could you - and others - please add to the list of the “ton of guys” tuning their electric guitars down a half step?

Thanks.
GnR
Metallica
Megadeth
Aerosmith
Randy Rhoades
Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen

To name a few.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM

I've come to the conclusion that the steel string acoustic guitar (opposed to the nylon string guitar and electric guitars with lighter gauge strings) should be tuned down to D-D. I think the E-E tuning is a hold-over from what is really a very different instrument. D-D improves so much on the instrument, from tuning to intonation to harmonicity (intonation of harmonics) to reducing the impact of wolf tones, to the physical well being of the instrument. I tune all of my acoustic guitars D-D now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write