The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-21-2009, 04:30 AM

Default Determining BPM

I am trying to figure out how to match the metronome settings to a recording. I typically use the metronome to get a song I am learning up to speed in graduations of 10 BPM. Can I get the score, time the recording, divide by measures, multiply by the time signature, and viola I have the correct BPM?

thanks

m
Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

How about just tapping your foot to the beat of the song and then adjusting the metronome to match your foot tap or am I misunderstanding the question?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
How about just tapping your foot to the beat of the song and then adjusting the metronome to match your foot tap or am I misunderstanding the question?
I am obviously way to smart to fall for such a simple solution!!!

Wait a minute! you are absolutely right! But you are assuming that I have a sense of rhythm.

thanks for the kind reply

m
Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinder View Post
I am trying to figure out how to match the metronome settings to a recording. I typically use the metronome to get a song I am learning up to speed in graduations of 10 BPM. Can I get the score, time the recording, divide by measures, multiply by the time signature, and viola I have the correct BPM?
Hi m...
If your metronome has a ''Tap'' setting it is for tapping in the tempo and it figures it out.

If not, start playing and then find a beat that is close and just play for a bit, keep the beat in your head and adjust the metronome up/down a few bpm and then play some more and keep dialing it in till you are happy with the tempo...write it down if you plan on learning more than 3 songs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 PM

You should make sure you know the song you want to set the metronome to really well. That way you know the song in your head and can easily set the metronome to the song easily

www.theacousticguitarlessons.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write