The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM

Default alternating a,m,i on the same string fingerpicking

I do mostly chord/melody fingerpicking and thus far (and not much classical), there isn't a lot of call for hitting the same string 2 or 3 times in a row in the tab I use, but occasionally yes. My question is how strictly do you alternate your picking hand fingers when you repeatedly pick the same string? Do you just use your own discretion or do you always alternate picking fingers in such a case?

Say the tab called for 0 2 3 on the G string--do you pick that alternating 2 fingers? three fingers? Or does it just depend? (Oh, and let's assume your other right hand fingers are not occupied with other strings, and are free to use.) Right now I'm more accustomed to using just one finger on a string (in this example it would most likely be my index finger) and not alternating at all.

Would you decide this based on the length of notes being played? Based on what was being asked of your fingers next? Just wondering.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 06-30-2009, 01:28 PM

It depends on the duration of the notes played. But usually, alternating between i and m will do the trick. The obvious difference is a triplet on the same string, usually on the same note, as in a classically played tremolo, where a, m and i are used repeatedly.

Often, even in very fast runs, just i and m are used, alternating. Paco de Lucia is using i and m in this heart pumping tune with his cohorts. Of course, he's not human. Nor are his cohorts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knghI...eature=related
Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Be flexible in your approach and do what seems to work best in a given situation.

For example (at around 240 tempo 4/4)
Good luck alternating your fingers on this.

--5--5--5--5--5--5--5
--5--4--3--2--3--4--5
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------

Here you could equally easily alternate or
not on the fifth string but it will
sound different each way.
---------------------------
2--2--4--4--5--5--4--4--2
0-----0------0-----0-----0

But as you mentioned if just one string is involved a lot depends on tempo as David mentioned. Above a certain speed alternating fingers is easier and smoother. In most tunes you are often in and out of single or mulit-notes so you are mixing it up. So usually it is what is easiest (if it has the right sound) and most repeatable (error free).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-30-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 PM

Great answers all. Thank you for your information and the time you took to respond. At roughly 1:17-1:22 of the clip David linked it shows a close up of Paco's picking hand, which, in fact reveals that he is not human as David asserted. That is a relief.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 PM

I had exactly the same issue about a year or so ago. A couple of pieces I was learning required runs involving more than one successive note on one string, and it was too fast for me to use the same finger twice. One suggestion I got, one I had experimented a little with, was to play runs alternating between the thumb and the index finger. I've worked on this and has some success with it. On another song, though, "Glory of Love". there is a simliar quick run on one string and the thumb is already taken up. Using the index and the middle in quick succession seemed to get round that one, although hitting the same string with different fingers in succession seemed really unnatural at first.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

On your example I probably would do i m a, but it depends on what happens afterwards. For instance if you had to play 0 2 3 on the g string, and then something on the b string I might use i m i then m or a on the b string. But yeah, it really depends, the only constant being don't use the same finger twice in a row, it will slow you down later when you're learning quicker stuff.

A good thing to practice (not that I do it enough) is alternating rest strokes - that's when you strike the string and follow through so that you are touching the next string. It really gives a full sound on a nylon, but for me its harder to do correctly than free strokes.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
IOne suggestion I got, one I had experimented a little with, was to play runs alternating between the thumb and the index finger.
That is actually a very useful technique and is employed often by Pete Huttlinger. It does require a thumbpick (or at least a long thumbnail) and properly-shaped fingernails to get a "uniform" tone.

As for the original question: one, two or three fingers....just practise them all and use the most effective combination for you. Flexibility in technique (being able to play the same parts with different fingers) is, I think, an often overlooked skill

Here are two quick audio clips I made that involve single-string lines:

http://www.box.net/shared/h3d3c30z8j
I alternate between thumb(pick) and index finger on this, occasionally substituting the middle finger.

http://www.box.net/shared/77y8zimzd7
i-m-i-m on this one, with alternating thumbpick-ing directions on the bass runs.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 07-01-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 PM

I just recently have added some tremolo exercises from Pumping Nylon to my daily practice. This month's Acoustic Guitar Magazine has an article on Muriel Anderson. When asked if she does any picking hand exercises for dexterity she says working on tremolo really helps the picking hand and then gives some exercise examples.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 AM

I like to alternate I and M when playing consecutive notes on the same string. Perhaps its just previous classical guitar training coming through. I feel it gives a smoother sound than just using the same finger. Other guys are different though, some use alternate index and thumb, as mentioned above.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 AM

Well, I've put some effort into employing the advice here, and I must say, once I started thinking about, I really noticed that there is more opportunity to practice this in what I play than I had previously thought. And it does affect the sound, and after you get used to the feel, it even feels better. Just more dexterous, I guess. Still not as natural as it should be, but it's coming along. Thanks again.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 07-23-2009, 03:55 PM

For multiple notes played quickly on the same string, I usually just use one finger to pick - if it's too fast for that, I use the nail on that finger as a "proper plectrum" and alternate picking with the underside and top of the nail (though this does eat up the nail rather quickly). For anything that's super fast, I switch to an alternating tremolo picking pattern (usually regular finger + adjacent finger or a-m-i).
Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 PM

I would advise to alternate the i and m fingers, and practice doing so in order to increase your speed.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post

Would you decide this based on the length of notes being played? Based on what was being asked of your fingers next? Just wondering.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I would base it on tempo, expression and destination.
Who knows, I would, perhaps, even play it on the D string if the tune allows it, but that's besides the point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write