The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM

Order in the court, please debate nicely.
Busking can be a fun thing to do and I have done it many a time. In San Diego with a permit was needed and in Laguna Beach without a permit. Back in the late '60s I busked on the Berkeley campus for a whole day without any problems. You should always inquire with park, campus, city, & state rules/regulations. But, as someone mentioned, respect everyone that may ask you to leave or not be so loud! And do as they want, with a smile!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Cabbitt,

You were doing really well in this debate until your statement "Actually, I don't believe that it's the busking that disturbs you guys. It's the freedom. Slaves always resent a free man."

That is adhominem, which is the refuge of a lost position, and is unnecessary. Your points were well taken, but resorting to adhominem attacks just diminishes your credibility and the soundness of your position.

Point well taken. I was miffed by the obvious condescension I was receiving, and over-reacted. I apologize to anyone who I offended.
I will conduct myself with more decorum in future.

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM

You are a true gentleman Cabbitt. I have no problem with what you said, but you could feel the tension building! Let the discussion continue.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=Cabbitt;1467726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
I'm guessing that not many here have ever actually busked. Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Well, If you read my first post from this thread (on the first page) you'll see that I was playing in the parks or "busking" in the 70's - my guess and only a guess is that was before you were born. I hope you have half the fun that I've had over the almost 40 years that I've shared my music and guitar with others - many times for free.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyee View Post
looks like you nearly answered your own question there. it's solicitation if the performer says something along the lines of "If you enjoyed the music, please drop some money into the jar." Such statements are a petition, request, plea or asking for money.

but yeah, i'm thinking the prostitution related definition probably doesnt apply... of course there is the naked cowboy guy in manhattan... not sure what his deal is.
I agree that asking for money is clearly solicitation. I dont get to see a lot of buskers where I live. Of those I have seen, none asked for money, but all accepted it. I dont know how representative this of the general busking population, but my point was simply that a person has to ask for money in order for solicitation to occur. Playing music with a tip jar isnt asking for money. It is hoping for money.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjar View Post
I agree that asking for money is clearly solicitation. I dont get to see a lot of buskers where I live. Of those I have seen, none asked for money, but all accepted it. I dont know how representative this of the general busking population, but my point was simply that a person has to ask for money in order for solicitation to occur. Playing music with a tip jar isnt asking for money. It is hoping for money.
Boy, oh boy are you putting a fine point on this. By your logic, a waiter who brings your check out on a tray, and the check has a line marked "Gratuity," is also merely "hoping for money."

I have over the course of 41 (!) years played and sung out on the street with youth groups and high school classes, and also busked for tips in two cities--in the year after college, when a law student and before I got my law job for my own tips, and for designated charities (and to protect the rights of my fellow licensed buskers) at the CTA terminal in between being laid off from my government law job and getting club gigs once I got pregnant. So much for the statement that a lawyer couldn't possibly busk. When I went out and busked with fellow musicians who had just gotten their licenses and the police ordered us to stop because they said it was illegal, I pulled out my license and my copy of the newly-enacted ordinance; and we were allowed to continue. But if we had been accused of obstructing foot traffic, playing excessively loudly to the point of complaints, or accosting passerby and cajoling them for tips, then the officers would have been justified in asking us to move along, licensed or not.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 AM

"...my guess and only a guess is that was before you were born..."

You would be wrong there, Pastor. I did my first paying gig in '65. I'm probably older than you.

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 05-02-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesUndivided View Post
...I live in Plymouth, MA and have emailed the local precinct but haven't received a reply yet. Anyone know off hand if it's legal in Massachusetts to busk. I live down by Plymouth Rock, lots of tourist starting to arrive. I'm thinking I could clean up. While we are on the subject, any tips for a first time busker? Thanks for your time and comments. Keep the faith!

Hey Forces, regardless of the outcome of this lengthy discussion, I would love to come down and here you, I'm in Halifax, Ma. Let me know when you are there, maybe I'll bring my guitar and we can BUSK a move
Old 05-02-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbitt View Post
If you are good, you will draw a crowd and make money. If you aren't, people will just pass you by. www.dunnellononline.com

that theory might need a little adjusting and retesting

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ht=joshua+bell
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 AM

"that theory might need a little adjusting and retesting "

It's always tougher when you're doing cover tunes.

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM

I remembered the 'Bell ends "Ave Maria" to another thunderous silence' line from the article....

didn't remember the dead homeless guy at the top of the escalator part...

oh well...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Boy, oh boy are you putting a fine point on this. By your logic, a waiter who brings your check out on a tray, and the check has a line marked "Gratuity," is also merely "hoping for money."

I didnt make up the defintion for soliciting, and busking (or waitering) are clearly not solicitation. You arent buying a product or service, you are thanking someone for a product or service, showing your appreciation or lack thereof.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
"...my guess and only a guess is that was before you were born..."

You would be wrong there, Pastor. I did my first paying gig in '65. I'm probably older than you. Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Then I would applaud your continued exuberant defense of the 1st Ammendment after so many years of observing its circumvention. The sixties must have been really painful for you.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Then I would applaud your continued exuberant defense of the 1st Ammendment after so many years of observing its circumvention. The sixties must have been really painful for you.

Actually, the 60's were great. A lot of people today belittle that decade, but most of them weren't around then. It really wasn't all about drug-induced euphoria. There was great music, great ideas, and a feeling of hope and expectation that we will probably never see again.

Cabbitt
www.dunnellononline.com
Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Actually, the 60's were great. A lot of people today belittle that decade, but most of them weren't around then. It really wasn't all about drug-induced euphoria. There was great music, great ideas, and a feeling of hope and expectation that we will probably never see again. Cabbitt www.dunnellononline.com
I second that (although there was a lot of drug-induced... well, maybe not euphoria, how about drug-induced ideas?). LOL

But seriously, Cabbitt, I hope you are wrong about us never seeing a time of hope and expectation again. Aside from the pop-culture image of the 60s, there was a "can do" attitude that took us to the moon and brought about some of the most profound advances in technology and society that many take for granted today!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell