The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 AM

Default Charmed Life Pick: Casein 0.65mm Blue Flame Video Demo

if this isn't ok here, i'm ok w/ the mods moving it. scott gave me a prototype pick that i'm absolutely in love with. i play a hybrid of fingerpick and flat picking. up until last year - my favorite pick was a charmed life pick in 0.8mm blue flame casein.

scott sent me a prototype of a super thin blue flame casein pick - and it's the only pick i use now. life is always busy - but since i'm on vacation - i've been working on recording more.

i recorded a cover of "alive" by ruston kelly on my lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar. i play it with fingerpicking and use the charmed life pick at 1:15.

the casein pick is just magical - it brings out such an even response from all my guitars - it somehow boosts clarity and richness - on all of my guitars. i've been pleading to scott to offer it - i know it's tough b/c since it is so thin, it is relatively fragile.

i've had it for about a year; and as you can see in my video - i don't strum very hard, so the longevity would be different w/ those w/ a heavy hand.

to close, i've had dunlop primetones, tortex, red bear picks - i've never loved a pick even remotely close to this blue flame casein. thanks so much scott!!!

Old 12-29-2020, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Nice Zeebow. Love the sound of that guitar and like the mix of fingerpick and strum. I too, tend to use a thinner pick than most, but often get the string clack that I want to avoid. Sounds like the pick you are using has a softer attack. Would that be fair to say?

I went from a 0.75 nylon to a 0.73 primetone (similar thickness, but way different in flexibility and tone. Then I stepped up to a 0.88 primetone. Good tones from this pick, but trying to learn a softer strum without losing the grip and dropping my pick. Works great for single notes, but having trouble with a strum.

You think this pick would help me?
Old 12-29-2020, 07:02 AM

Hi,

try out the 073 Dunlop Signature Primetone Pick by Animals as Leaders.

cu

erniecaster
Old 12-29-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Nice Zeebow. Love the sound of that guitar and like the mix of fingerpick and strum. I too, tend to use a thinner pick than most, but often get the string clack that I want to avoid. Sounds like the pick you are using has a softer attack. Would that be fair to say?

I went from a 0.75 nylon to a 0.73 primetone (similar thickness, but way different in flexibility and tone. Then I stepped up to a 0.88 primetone. Good tones from this pick, but trying to learn a softer strum without losing the grip and dropping my pick. Works great for single notes, but having trouble with a strum.

You think this pick would help me?
thanks!! the casein picks are stiffer than the nylon or primetone ones, so i think it would help reduce string clack. although the casein licks donít have anything to help with grip.

my small body lowdens are insanely responsive, so anything besides a light/medium attack overdrives them - so iíve ďlearnedĒ the proper way to play them, itís something iíve developed over time - although i thought before i played with a light touch, the lowdens forced me to play even more lightly, bc the guitar does all the work for you, it likes to be played with finesse, like driving a porsche

something i saw from tony polecastro is that there is this stuff called pickers grip, itís this paste you can put on your fingers to help with grip.

charmed life picks are pricey - but there is. thing like the tone this thing brings out - response is so balanced and notes ring out so beautifully - this is true on every guitar i own! i have a few custom cocobolo taylorís and a couple of lowdens. if i play with a pick, i only grab the blue flame casein ones

scott from charmed life only offers them as thin as 0.8m thickness right now i believe, just shoot him and email and chat with him, heís pretty accommodating
Old 12-29-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hi,

try out the 073 Dunlop Signature Primetone Pick by Animals as Leaders.

cu

erniecaster
i will add it to my list, thx for the suggestion!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell