The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-27-2020, 11:49 AM

Default Crazy good fingerstyle online teacher?

Hi all,

So...awhile ago I asked about good fingerstyle resources. I went back and checked that thread and I can't seem to find the guy I found back then (but never contacted). I thought he was mentioned in the thread, but I can't find him. It's possible I discovered him on my own. Maybe you all can help:

This is the very thin lead:

I found a guy online for fingerstyle instruction that was crazy good. So good that he said he usually made up arrangements on the spot during lessons for songs that students were interested in. His website said he was famous for that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure that's actually a good criteria, I'd rather have arrangements someone has given some thought to... But Mark Hanson is certainly capable of doing that, and a terrific fingerstyle teacher. accentonmusic.com
Old 04-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I don't know who that guy would have been. But after several aborted attempts at playing finger style blues over 40 years, a guy who has lessons on TrueFire and has his own site too finally got through to me. I've done a progression of his courses for the past year and a half or so. I still have a ridiculously long way to go, but considering where I was when I started, I'm pretty thrilled with where I am now.

Guy named David Hamburger, if interested. I think I've seen other folks around here mention him as well... But I've never had any contact with him other than taking his courses, so I'm sure he's not the guy you heard would make up pieces on the spot for his students. I don't know if he even does individual lessons.

-Ray
Old 04-27-2020, 12:46 PM

I second Mr. Hamburger. And if you want to venture into DADGAD I would check out Mr. Young's book, "Understanding DADGAD". A shameless plug, I know, but both these gentlemen will give you good grounding and get your fingers into new territory.

why2
Old 04-27-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Default David Hamburger

David Hamburger doesn't do one on one courses as far as I know, but does do an online course where he takes a group of students with online lessons through one arrangement per month with the goal of learning to improvise on the tune (while playing solo fingerstyle). I was a member for a few months, but life got in the way. I would love to sign up again. See https://www.fretboardconfidential.com/ for details.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:36 PM

Old 04-27-2020, 01:38 PM

+1 for David Hamburger. I haven't done his online course, but I've played around with his Acoustic Guitar Method books, as well as his Acoustic Guitar Fingerstyle Method DVDs, and he does a great job with those.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Default Two I like

Maybe not for purists, but I like Mario Cirillo (Blitzguitar) and Paul Davids.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Find what you want to play, track down the tabs and if available, videos too and start on it. Emulating someone else's style is a good way to gain technique and dexterity.

Stretching, often overlooked, especially by me, it is important too.

Finger style is really self taught. A player just needs guidance. You don't want to start off with things that are way over your head.

The biggest key that I have found to learning finger style arrangements is to go as slow as paint dries at first where no mistakes are made. Making a mistake? You're going too fast. Patience is my biggest hurdle.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:03 PM

Truefire has some good courses if you don't need the interactive component. Solid lessons and really cheap if you buy during a sale.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:23 PM

Jeff Linsky?
Old 04-27-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
That's really funny! I don't think he's holding or doing anything now.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:13 PM

The guy from LickNRiff is crazy good guitarist and teacher with a truckload of really great lessons including all things fingerstyle.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:17 PM

Richard Gilewitz

web site

He is also on TruFire.

Exceptionally good teacher.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:19 PM

Probably not who you’re specifically looking for, but Sean Weaver is a great guitarist and an equally good teacher. He’s on YouTube. I originally found him at Six String Country -dot - com.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write