The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-24-2008, 09:54 PM

Location: Plattsburgh,NY (one hour south of Montreal Canada )

BIGGEST pair of hands I have ever seen were on Tal Farlow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37zmz...eature=related
Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Then I'm in big trouble! My pinky and thumb are both more stunted than that. Thicker and hairier, too.

"Retirement is when you stop living at work and begin working at living." - Author Unknown
Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Pinky short for guitar playing….
Even though I managed grade 8 Trinity College classical grade performance….many years ago…
I struggled because of such a short pinky, way below the top joint mark of the next finger..
I am a professional soloist ,playing flamenco,classical..and accompany singers…sing myself…do solo arrangements for guitar of many modern songs…as well…until recently being so fed up with this lil pinky issue…about time for me to get moving before I am too old for any finger style playing of a high level
I had two guitars custom made…one 580mm and one 630mm scale length…I use both for flamenco and classical playing..,I have been a professional soloist and accompanist for 40 yrs….and 20 yrs ago tried to ask for a shorter scale guitar nylon strung…any thing would have done…and music store people shook their heads like I was nutty or something….well what a difference these days,short scale guitars come in all scale sizes all types incl….electric,acoustic electric,classical, and more….
However I now realise that a shorter scale guitar or even a smaller neck did not solve the problem entirely of lateral or vertical stretches,that dreaded pinky just never quite made it or felt comfortable.
I have heard guitarists try to offer advice like….you need to practise good technique or some otherUnhelpful words,and say… oh this guy or this woman has got small hands,,,what the heck does that mean….zero, one must look at the hand and especially the relationship of the pinky to the finger next to it,one just cannot technically accomplish advanced classical playing until that problem is addressed,,,so I would not listen to anyone unless they have exactly the same measurements as yourself……yes you can become individual,and create your own style with the limitation of the lil pinky being short….but do not stop there……you can add to that lil pinky with tissue, tape and it takes a few days to get the right amount ,….then you will see that a sort of home made finger prosthetic is really a challenge,,,first and even the 20th attempt shows problems like,,,,too thick padding,too short too long,too much to one side…but with cheap stuff like tissue and covering it with cellotape so it does not shred…you have to be neat and tidy…. first then you can experiment with nice materials,from the chemist shop,,,nice slippery tape, gauze to build up the bulk…or even make latex moulds and heaps of modern material available…
Guitar galaxy site sells finger prosthetics…but do make your own first of all….
You won’t believe the difference …it is fantastic….also you may like to check web sites if you type up in the browser, guitar player finger prosthetics and see what incredible things other folks do who have had finger tips and more gone through awful accidents….. do not give up you can achieve great facility with a made up prosthetic…..it does take experimenting but it will work…all the best…sorry this is so long
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM

Wink pp...pinky problem

Pinky short for guitar playing….
Even though I managed grade 8 Trinity College classical grade performance….many years ago…
I struggled because of such a short pinky, way below the top joint mark of the next finger..
I am a professional soloist ,playing flamenco,classical..and accompany singers…sing myself…do solo arrangements for guitar of many modern songs…as well…until recently being so fed up with this lil pinky issue…about time for me to get moving before I am too old for any finger style playing of a high level
I had two guitars custom made…one 580mm and one 630mm scale length…I use both for flamenco and classical playing..,I have been a professional soloist and accompanist for 40 yrs….and 20 yrs ago tried to ask for a shorter scale guitar nylon strung…any thing would have done…and music store people shook their heads like I was nutty or something….well what a difference these days,short scale guitars come in all scale sizes all types incl….electric,acoustic electric,classical, and more….
However I now realise that a shorter scale guitar or even a smaller neck did not solve the problem entirely of lateral or vertical stretches,that dreaded pinky just never quite made it or felt comfortable.
I have heard guitarists try to offer advice like….you need to practise good technique or some otherUnhelpful words,and say… oh this guy or this woman has got small hands,,,what the heck does that mean….zero, one must look at the hand and especially the relationship of the pinky to the finger next to it,one just cannot technically accomplish advanced classical playing until that problem is addressed,,,so I would not listen to anyone unless they have exactly the same measurements as yourself……yes you can become individual,and create your own style with the limitation of the lil pinky being short….but do not stop there……you can add to that lil pinky with tissue, tape and it takes a few days to get the right amount ,….then you will see that a sort of home made finger prosthetic is really a challenge,,,first and even the 20th attempt shows problems like,,,,too thick padding,too short too long,too much to one side…but with cheap stuff like tissue and covering it with cellotape so it does not shred…you have to be neat and tidy…. first then you can experiment with nice materials,from the chemist shop,,,nice slippery tape, gauze to build up the bulk…or even make latex moulds and heaps of modern material available…
Guitar galaxy site sells finger prosthetics…but do make your own first of all….
You won’t believe the difference …it is fantastic….also you may like to check web sites if you type up in the browser, guitar player finger prosthetics and see what incredible things other folks do who have had finger tips and more gone through awful accidents….. do not give up you can achieve great facility with a made up prosthetic…..it does take experimenting but it will work…all the best…
think i may have posted this already ...trying to work out how to do this forum stuff...
Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM

my fret hand pinky is what would be considered normal length but I have smallish hands. my thumb based on the pic with the arrows is in fact rather stunted on both hands. But I have also had Carpel Tunnel surgery on both hands and on my fret hand I severed the tendons of my ring and pinky finger at one point...took a very long time to recover and I have had to do a lot of adjustment to how I play and my pinky is a lot less functional than it used to be.. not mind you that it was ever great Even now some years later when my fret hand is relaxed the last two fingers curl up farther than normal. Even doing a lot of stretching there is only so far I can stretch it back out heh.

So I know how it goes with short fingers. You can adapt to shorter fingers it just takes patience

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell