The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Default Storing back / side wood

In anticipation of starting my first couple of builds (hopefully later this year, but may not be until next) I bought a back and sides set.

Is it safe to store it in the shipping packaging it came in, or does it need some special treatment? The two sides are strapped together and flat, but the two halved of the back are separate. They're currently in a cardboard box packed with those small polystyrene packaging pieces, stored under my bed. RH is about 60% at the moment - we're having an unusually hot and humid summer in UK.

Any tips on how to store it safely for up to a year or so would be greatly appreciated. I live in an apartment so space is at a premium.

The wood is celebes ebony:

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 AM

You really need to get that RH under control -buy a de-humidifier or some form of getting water out of air. You'll want to take the humidity down in gradual stages until you are at about 45% RH. Take the wood out of the box and away from the styrofoam, If you have a closet put it upon a shelf and sticker it as air will need to circulate around it. Also you'll want to coat the edges of the wood -just the open end grain, with a light coating of candle wax or shellac if it isn't already. This will slow down moisture evaporating from the endgrain.

Nice wood, where have I seen this set? Allied Lutherie?

good luck

Last edited by arie; 07-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

What he said. In case the language gets confused lol. "stickered" is thin 1/4" or so, 1/2" to an 1" wide untreated wood you place on the ends and in the middle between boards to promote air flow. Good luck! Keep us posted on your project.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Put it all in airtight plastic bags until the humidity drops and then sticker it once the humidity begins to fall.

Jim McCarthy
Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 AM

Thanks, guys, I'll get it properly prepared to store at the weekend.

Yes, it was a set from Allied Lutherie - I'd been eyeing it up for a while and then bought it during their recent 20% sale. It looks even better in person and will make a beautiful guitar.

They were a little liberal in their size designation though... I think I'll only get an OM out of it if I sandwich (not inlay) a backstrip between the two halves of the back. Not too much of a problem I guess.

I'll be using this in my second build (my first will be more of a practice). I'll pair it with a German or Italian spruce top and make a multi-scale GC (probably around 25" treble, 26" bass). Binding will be curly koa, macassar ebony face and back plate on the headstock, undecided on the rosette as yet. Can't wait!

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair