The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Nut and Saddle specs needed

I am thinking of getting a beater Yamaha that needs help to do some learning on. Needs new nut and saddle, some fret work and cleaning and new strings. I have nut files, fret oil/cleaner/stain, and fret files to smooth and clean. What I am looking for are the specs on a Yamaha FG335II nut and saddle. Thought I'd start here on this part of the forum since there are a lots of luthiers and builders and learners over here.

Thanks for any light you can shed on tis for me.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I sand till its snug. I went for too snug on my first build and broke the saddle unfitting it. I like when the Nut holds itself in place.
You will find that factory new the Yamaha neck angle is different than standard. The straight edge will fall to 1/8" to 1/4" below the bridge break line on a straight neck.
I got this from a Stew Mac video "how to build a Kit guitar" Get the width of your saddle. Round one side, fit it in then mark your other end. Sand and round.
The top edge of the saddle should start closest to the soundhole at the high E string. Draw a line from the front of the saddle at high E to the back side (top) of the low E. That will give you the beginnings of proper intonation.
You need a Fret Rocker to check for high spots on a refret.
Have fun FG335II's are great guitars. I hope you get her running
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Default Thanks....

Yamaha junkie: I suspected (and hoped) you might reply. I appreciate the advice.... starting with what I hope are slightly simpler tasks in learning more about the how different elements combine to make good intonation. Stew Mac is one of my main sources for basic information and probably parts as well. Also looking at one of our AGF sponsors who specializes in nuts and saddles. Now all I need to get are the specs on size, etc. Do you know if any of that is available on the Yamaha site?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshughd View Post
Now all I need to get are the specs on size, etc. Do you know if any of that is available on the Yamaha site?
you have the guitar, what more do you need?

*everything* is a tone control
Old 07-04-2010, 06:04 PM

Default Need....

The guitar doesn't have a nut or a saddle so I am starting from scratch. Don't have a lot of dollars invested but still would like to do this right. Will keep researching - there's more out there I know. Plus Yamaha junkie's ideas helped. Will keep after it. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I'll measure the basic measurements on a FG335II for you in the am. But! Fitting is part of what makes the replacement better.
There is a guy out of Colorado that sells on eBay over sized bone blanks - 10 nuts/10 saddles for what some supply houses sell 2 for! You also gotta have a digital caliper. Harbor Freight has a great one for less than $30. I got mine for $15 on sale.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Cool. Thanks.

It is this kind of learning opportunity that keeps me on this forum, that and the knowledge base, the friends I may never see or know beyond this typed conversation - but we all enjoy our boxes of wood and strings and things, don't we. And we do love to share.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Here you go.
Nut is .183 thick at the base, 1.748 wide

Saddle is .1265 thick and 2.898 long.

Those measurements came right off of a FG335II. Good luck. Post pictures!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 AM

www.frets.com

Using gauged files is a good idea. Also buying a few extra nut/saddle blanks, just because. The nut is complicated. It helps me to measure and file with the strings on. Leave it tall until you're quite sure and take your time.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks all. Excellent advice and help. Exactly what I expected and always expect from friends here on the AGF. Pardon the pun, but will keep you posted. Right now things are on hold due to health issues with my wife's back. Seeing lots of docs in the next few days, MRI on the horizon so most of my free time will be taking care of her. But I will get there working on guitars and learning.
Thanks again for the help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair