The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
He probably would have thought of a way to give a different response if Taylor’s dreadnoughts were big sellers though, like saying something like how they want to keep the traditional side for those who like that. Otherwise why are so many 100 series dreadnought shaped if he doesn’t want to copy the dreadnought? Because the 100 series dreadnought sells well.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! It's about the bottom line.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I know Andy has built arch tops. I've always wondered if Taylor would release an affordable (3k or so) arch top for the masses.
I cheekily asked that a few months back. There were a lot of good ideas and responses to the concept of Taylor doing a line of inexpensive arch tops.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=642896
Old 09-26-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Why Taylor won't have X bracing anymore, whether it's due to lack of resources, or just wanting to not let consumers have options (like Apple forcing no headphone jacks, no USB-C, no SIM cards, etc.), like if offering X bracing together with V Class would result in more people preferring X bracing and thus diminish V Class? It'd be great if you could provide feedback on behalf of me (and maybe some other people) who were Taylor fans before V Class but now can't find any new Taylors that are X braced and have to resort to the second hand market where guitars aren't in mint condition. Never played a V Class next to an X-braced Taylor and preferred the V Class' thinner and brighter tone, unfortunately.
+1

I would ask for X bracing option
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-26-2022, 01:44 PM

I'd ask if he surfs the AGF.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I'd ask how long it's going to take until Taylors are untouched by human hands. Oh, is the question outdated?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2022, 01:51 PM

I'd tell him I'd like to see more guitars without pickups and cutouts.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Why Taylor won't have X bracing anymore, whether it's due to lack of resources, or just wanting to not let consumers have options (like Apple forcing no headphone jacks, no USB-C, no SIM cards, etc.), like if offering X bracing together with V Class would result in more people preferring X bracing and thus diminish V Class? It'd be great if you could provide feedback on behalf of me (and maybe some other people) who were Taylor fans before V Class but now can't find any new Taylors that are X braced and have to resort to the second hand market where guitars aren't in mint condition. Never played a V Class next to an X-braced Taylor and preferred the V Class' thinner and brighter tone, unfortunately.
YES...Taylors never were that bassy but v class is in another stratosphere. So why?????
Old 09-26-2022, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Default SADDLE SPACING

Why to this day does Taylor still insist that 2 3/16 spacing on a 6 string is all any player should need. Could this be tied into the fact that from what I can tell Andy is a pick player, not a true finger style player.

Bottom line why I don't own any Taylors other than a couple of 12 strings.

Have a good time there.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-26-2022, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

I'd ask him if Taylor is developing a new straight-ahead--no IRs or other enhancements--pickup/preamp system that will for the first time in acoustic-guitar amplification history, really amplify as closely as possible the acoustic tone of whatever guitar it's installed in.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-26-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'd ask how long it's going to take until Taylors are untouched by human hands. Oh, is the question outdated?
Nope, as someone who's been to the factory numerous times I can vouch that there's MANY human hands on each Taylor that comes out of the factory. The only places they're using machines is where there's low tolerance levels and/or grater odds for margin of error (ex. spray finishing).

Oh yeah, and spray finish of such a thin later as to make the guitar sound best often results in post sale damage (like cracks, splits and high action) if the new owner doesn't take better care of it than say a "handmade" Martin (and Martin uses a few machines at their physical plant too).
Old 09-26-2022, 05:12 PM

I live in a land of traditional music (East Tennessee). We seldom see Taylor’s played in our circles. Taylor seems to have ceded this market to Martin and Martin styled guitar makers. I owned some Taylor’s 25 years ago when they made X braced dreads, but I don’t even look at them anymore. I don’t appreciate their sounds or the styles of modern music their players seem to like.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:30 PM

Default Taylor and Guitar Industry Questions

Great opportunity to visit with one of the leaders in the acoustic industry.

A few thoughts:

1- what are Taylor’s plans to work supply chain issues? Urban Ash being a great example.

2- Taylor spent some energy and sells plectrums; thoughts about strings, like low tension (Santa Cruz)?

3- solid tops with layered back/sides are typical. Knowing that curving the sides is complicated and requires extra care, why isn’t there more options with solid top, solid back and layered sides? Are there sound transfer issues? Has much work been done in this area?
Old 09-26-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I'd ask if he will rename the company to....

Powlor Guitar
Old 09-26-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
How is he balancing taking over the roles of Kurt and Bob, along with remaining their master guitar designer?
He had a dream job as the chief guitar designer.
I feel sorry for him now having all that responsibility. I'm sure he is far out of his comfort zone with some of the management issues that go on daily. How is he dealing with inflation, Taylor guitars are already not cheap, can they withstand a substantial price increase?
Old 09-26-2022, 08:29 PM

Default Player vs Performer Guitars

Does he have any plans to get more innovative relative to making guitars that are more "Player Centric" vs "Performer Focused?" An example would be utilizing Acoustic Flutes in the beveled armrest like Kevin Ryan does. Love my Taylors, but being a player who will never plug in or play for an audience, I would LOVE to be able to enhance the playing experience by having the sound directed more toward me vs just out the sound hole and/or via the pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion