The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-20-2022, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Default New Grill arriving tomorrow...

I love my Big Green Egg but hand on heart I have too much going on to use it often as I'd like...barely lit it the last 12 months...I've had it for 6 or 7 years now and regard myself as pretty handy with charcoal but no denying it takes some prep and time is short in the evenings Mon - Fri.

...sooooo I have a new Weber Genesis arriving tomorrow...in my head this is what I will fire up for steaks, whole grilled fish, rotisserie chicken and such during the week. I also got a nice cast iron flat top griddle insert that I'll smash burgers and make breakfast on at the weekend, for example.

I'll still use my Egg for smoking low and slow and other weekend cooks and hey, whenever else I have the time.

My question is, is moving from charcoal into propane like buying an electric guitar when you've played strictly acoustic?

Or worse, a banjo.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 09-20-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
...sooooo I have a new Weber Genesis arriving tomorrow...in my head this is what I will fire up for steaks, whole grilled fish, rotisserie chicken and such during the week. I also got a nice cast iron flat top griddle insert that I'll smash burgers and make breakfast on at the weekend, for example.
Yum! If I lived near Dublin I’d be begging to come to yours for tea.

Silly Moustache has also made a few posts that have made me starving, his harissa chicken sounds brilliant.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:14 PM

I've had propane and natural gas Weber and perfer natural gas. But in California both sources are being phased out and I suspect charcoal will be added to the list. Once you get use to a grilling with gas you might find it a happy experience. Fire it up!

Looking forward to a follow-up report on how the assembly went and if you had any parts left over....IKEA style...where the heck did this go.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 09-20-2022, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I was a charcoal man myself, used a Weber charcoal grill for years. Sneered at those miscreants who used propane.

Then I moved to a semi-arid place where charcoal grills are not allowed. Bit the bullet and bought a Weber Genesis.

Guess what? I love that thing. Wouldn't go back to charcoal if you paid me! So easy, and the food is every bit as good.

Gotta start a pork loin here in a little while.

Your electric vs. acoustic analogy is a good one. It's like that.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:55 PM

I have a Genesis (older model) and a Pit Boss pellet grill. The Weber is great for quick cooking. Burgers, Steaks, etc. are great on it. Low and slow the Pit Boss is far better, so Pork, Chicken, Ribs are much better on that.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:37 PM

I also have a weber Genesis. It is great, and easy, and you can get things going quickly.

I have a metal box that I can put wood chips in if I want a smokey flavor….i set it in the “flavorizer bars” under the grates. It’s not as nice as a smoker, but pretty good for most things (including pork ribs).

Tomorrow I’ll be making paella on it: it does a great job with it, and the house wont smell like fish when it is all done!

While it takes a little bit of an adjustment to leave charcoal behind, it is a pretty easy adjustment….you just need to get a feel for where to set the dials to get the results you want. And if you don’t get the dials set right at first, you can quickly adjust the heat…something that is harder to do with charcoal.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had a BGE for years and have used for everything from smoking meats and fish to making pizza. It’s a great tool, but as you pointed out in the OP it is a little time consuming.

More recently, due to air quality issues from wildfires in our state and surrounding states, we have been under restrictions for smokers, fire pits, etc. The BGE can put out a lot of smoke at times so I picked up a Weber Spirit 3 burner to use while under restrictions. I love it! Turn on the gas, crank on the burners, shut the lid and pour a glass of wine. 10 minutes later it’s at 500f and I’m ready to brush the grills and start cooking. I use it all the time.

When regulations allow I’ll still use the BGE. Homemade pizza done with the BGE pizza stone is fantastic.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=Tahitijack;7090611] But in California both sources are being phased out and I suspect charcoal will be added to the list.
Then what are you supposed to bbq with? To quote Archie Bunker, "California, full of fruits and nuts and getting fruitier and nuttier every day.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new grill. I've been cooking on a built-in gas grill for the last 20 years, and perfectly happy with the setup. It's incredibly consistent and tastes great (although nothing smells as good as charcoal cooking in my neighbor's yard, LOL).

We recently added an electric smoker, which is kind of the same story, where some people may scoff at it vs. something more traditional. But it's so much easier to manage for our family, and the food turns out great and flavorful every time.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:10 PM

Just last week I retired my Weber after 27 years. Replaced it with a Napoleon. I would have gone with another Weber, but my nephew who sells grills told me Weber was bought out and the quality is not what it used to be. YMMV.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 09-21-2022, 08:42 AM

Like others, I used charcoal in my trusty Weber my whole life. Last summer, I bought a Weber Genesis gas grill and originally loved it. Within 2 months, burners would go out randomly, the lighting mechanism worked periodically, and I experienced some crazy flaming no matter how meticulously I cleaned it after every use.

Possibly this is user error, although my ego says it's just an aberration. But I've gone back to Old Faithful, even adding wood chips to the charcoal, and am happy again.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 09-21-2022, 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=stokes1971;7090719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
But in California both sources are being phased out and I suspect charcoal will be added to the list.
Then what are you supposed to bbq with? To quote Archie Bunker, "California, full of fruits and nuts and getting fruitier and nuttier every day.
You’ve heard of greenhouse gases?

You aware of their effects?

Same questions about particulates from fires, whether in forests or your BBQ.

And you think Californians are nuts because they are trying to reduce greenhouse gas emissions?

By the way, the regulation of natural gas and propane is for new home construction and single use propane canisters…like the ones some folks use with camp stoves (I’ve always used white gas and pump canisters). So you can still BBQ as you have been.

Last edited by buddyhu; 09-21-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:16 AM

I thought this thread was about grilling? Mods will soon be here.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

I had a cheapo propane grill for years, thinking a grill's a grill. A bear provided the finishing touches of its demise and I replaced it with a Genesis.

Shoulda bought a Weber 30 years ago!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 09-23-2022, 06:48 AM

Cool

[QUOTE=stokes1971;7090719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
But in California both sources are being phased out and I suspect charcoal will be added to the list.
California burns more marijuana than charcoal it sounds like

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic