The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas View Post
Is the 35 part of the search for an inexpensive backup to your HD28.......I'm confused.
Yes. And I'm confused, too. If I want an inexpensive spruce/rosewood Martin, it seems my only realistic choice is the Special 16. I'm just not fully convinced I want something with satin back/sides. The other Martins that would work are considerably more expensive, so I would have to save for any of those. But then I might be defeating my purpose for a backup. That is, I might end up with two main guitars. I could get the HD-16R, but I keep asking myself if I am going to spend that for a 16 series, why not just get a Standard series used instead?

As I said, this could be solved if I got the RK, but it seems if I am going to spend more than $1000, I would prefer to get a Martin.

Clear as mud, I know.

Actually, compared to what I spent on the new HD-28 Ambertone, a used 28 or 35 would be inexpensive.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas View Post
Is the 35 part of the search for an inexpensive backup to your HD28.......I'm confused.
That is cheaper than him wanting a Modern deluxe as a back up...
Old 09-15-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j38guitar View Post
True.....dat
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 09-15-2022, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

You need to play the guitars. No one can tell you which you will prefer. That I have a D 35 at all amazes me. I've always found all to have too much bass, and the HD to be over the top. Yet you might play an HD and think it'd glorious, and to you it is. But I prefer a seventies D 35, and even then, only some of them. My Custom D 35 is drier still, which is why I like it. If you like an HD 35, you won't like mine.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-15-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Would any of you hesitate to buy one of these due to the 1/4 in. bracing? Would you be wary of potential structural issues?

No. Martin's got it figured out. They started making these in 1965, if there were any problems, we'd have heard about it by now. The 3-piece back shouldn't give you any issues either. I'd always take the D over the HD, because I think it has the perfect volume for singing. The HD is a little louder.

It was a strong enough guitar for Johnny Cash.

Turtle

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 09-15-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j38guitar View Post
Now I never said I wanted a MD as a backup. That was a whole different scenario.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
You need to play the guitars. No one can tell you which you will prefer. That I have a D 35 at all amazes me. I've always found all to have too much bass, and the HD to be over the top. Yet you might play an HD and think it'd glorious, and to you it is. But I prefer a seventies D 35, and even then, only some of them. My Custom D 35 is drier still, which is why I like it. If you like an HD 35, you won't like mine.
I've acknowledged that I need to play the guitars. That's unfortunately difficult because of where I live. Thus, I am doing this. But your post is sensible.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:51 PM

Look, I know some of you probably think I'm nuts, and I may be, partially.

But I will only own one more guitar between now and the time I die, so I am trying to be careful and consider all factors. Besides, I am tired of buying and then selling later. I want this one to be the right choice. So, for those who are bearing with me, and those continuing to respond, I appreciate it very much. I do get a lot of help here.

For any who can't take it anymore, I understand.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:52 PM

Troubador--

A D-35 was not at all on my guit-radar until I came across an immaculate specimen of a 2018 "re-imagined" model last year. It seriously altered the indifferent impression of them I harbored for over 40 years. It's very lightweight (not much more than a D-18!), extremely responsive, beautifully balanced with no hint of the overpowering bass that has so long been associated with 35s, and a comfortable neck that spoils me rotten.

I highly recommend having a close look!
Old 09-15-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
No. Martin's got it figured out. They started making these in 1965, if there were any problems, we'd have heard about it by now. The 3-piece back shouldn't give you any issues either. I'd always take the D over the HD, because I think it has the perfect volume for singing. The HD is a little louder.

It was a strong enough guitar for Johnny Cash.

Turtle
Thanks for your input. I don't have a problem with the 3-piece back; I think it looks great. My old Sakura has a 3-piece back.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:54 PM

When I was looking for a great guitar back in 1983, I picked my D-35 out of a wall full of Martin Guitars.
Still have it and there are no issues showing to this day.

I picked the D-35 for it's overall tone and deep bass.
There are louder Martin Guitars be the D-35 is so versatile and works very well in small settings with only a few guitars or other instruments.
It is often called a "Singer/Song Writer" Guitar.

I have never played an HD-35 and don't have a desire/need to.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogle View Post
Troubador--

A D-35 was not at all on my guit-radar until I came across an immaculate specimen of a 2018 "re-imagined" model last year. It seriously altered the indifferent impression of them I harbored for over 40 years. It's very lightweight (not much more than a D-18!), extremely responsive, beautifully balanced with no hint of the overpowering bass that has so long been associated with 35s, and a comfortable neck that spoils me rotten.

I highly recommend having a close look!
I will definitely have that close look. Isn't the neck the same as on a D/HD 28?
Old 09-15-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
When I was looking for a great guitar back in 1983, I picked my D-35 out of a wall full of Martin Guitars.
Still have it and there are no issues showing to this day.

I picked the D-35 for it's overall tone and deep bass.
There are louder Martin Guitars be the D-35 is so versatile and works very well in small settings with only a few guitars or other instruments.
It is often called a "Singer/Song Writer" Guitar.

I have never played an HD-35 and don't have a desire/need to.
Thanks very much for that helpful information.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:58 PM

Do y'all think it's possible to find a good used 35 for less than, say, $2200? I want to be realistic here and not hope for something I'll never be able to afford.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Also, some are noting here that the D35 has a lot of bass. Well, yeah! That's what I love about it. I can EQ it as necessary, either recording or live, but when it's just me and the guitar, that's what gives it that big stately sound, imo. That's why I always use medium strings, I get more bass out of it. It was a few years ago, but I got mine for $1750. I actually spent 6 mo. looking, it was the best guitar I found, outside a 30's D-28 (which was too expensive).

Turtle
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion