The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-21-2022, 02:20 AM

Default Can anyone identify this maker of this mystery guitar?

Hi

I just got my hands on this old beauty, was just wondering if anyone had any info on the maker given the PG on the headstock.

The previous owner had no info. I was thinking that it could have been a one-off luthier project. Nothing that I can find written on the inside of body....

Also came across a very similar logo after searching the old interweb for a good couple hours and thought I was onto something -- ended up being a master guitar maker by the name of Pavel Gavryushov -- managed to get in contact with him but alas it was not one of his - would have been nice if it was.

any ideas or knowledge regarding the PG headstock would be awesome

Cheers
Old 08-21-2022, 04:49 AM

Did you try to take a well-centred photo of just the logo, and do a reverse image search with that?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-21-2022, 05:20 AM

The logo looks relatively new. The body looks like an older harmony. Is it possible that somebody joined a modern neck to an older body?
Old 08-23-2022, 03:20 PM

I'd vote for this being a replacement neck on an old body, particularly since there's a zero fret. You won't find that on many older U.S. made guitars.
These bodies come up fairly often on Reverb. As an example, I used an old Kay body to join a new neck and make an octave mandolin.

Old 08-27-2022, 04:27 AM

Thanks, everyone for your input, after some further research tonight I came across a winner - will link the reverb listing below but it looks as if it is a pre-war Hofner Schobach, with the PG probably being someone's initials at some point during the life of the guitar. The bridge which I forgot to photograph alongside the pickguard and tailpiece all seem to be original.

anyways thanks again for all your input.

Reverb Listing: https://reverb.com/au/item/14677769-...antic-hardcase
Old 08-30-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Default PG Guitars

PG Guitars is a small builder in Australia. It looks like they replaced the neck on that. You can find them on line.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:49 PM

There's nothing replaced on this guitar - it's a pre-war guitar, 99% sure that it was made in Schonbach. Calling it a Hofner is a stretch, its enough that it fits the local style in all aspects (there were many workshops and sellers there, not nearly all of them documented). If you ever decide to sell, please let me know, I collect these guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
archtop, mystery