The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-02-2022, 03:45 AM

Default Ultra slim pickup?

Hi, everyone,
I am asking you for ultra slim pickup purchase advice.
I do not have an archtop, I have a Yamaha silent classical with steel strings, I like this guitar, but I would like to add a humbucker to have a "sweet jazzy" sound (Ed Bickert sound, Kenny Burrell sound, etc...).
I am thinking of buying an ultra-slim humbucker. I was thinking of purchasing the "Lace sensor ultra slim acoustic, " but I haven't found any video on youtube (there are only resonator guitar videos).
Also, the Krivo would be an option, but since I am in Italy, buying a krivo is not so easy.
The lace will cost me around 160$ the Krivo 240$ shipped.

I need a slim pickup to attach at the end of the neck without milling the guitar.
Do you think that I can have the sound that I am looking for? Do you have a different solution to suggest to me?
Old 08-03-2022, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

I've tried a couple of different slim pickups on my Kalamazoo archtop, which doesn't have a raised fingerboard. In Europe, Sixtus pickups might be a good and affordable option. I had one of those and liked how it sounded, though I abandoned the idea as the extra mass on the top affected the acoustic sound of my guitar. It looks like they've refined their designs since the one I had, too.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 08-04-2022, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

While not a humbucker, it's super quiet, though your desire for a humbucker seems to be more about voicing, but I may suggest you checkout Victory Lowrider, it's about the thinnest thing I've seen and sounds great. Not gonna necessarily nail the warm thing you may be after, though, but a great pickup and maybe worth a try.

Very good price and he sells some with wired jacks, so you wouldn;t need to do much work to try and use it. Return policy would even allow you to try one of those without committing.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I put a Kent Armstrong slim humbucker on my Yamaha Silent Guitar (steel strings), and it works well. But (warning), I did have to route a pocket .22 inches deep (5.5mm).
Old 09-11-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cri75! View Post
Hi, everyone,
I am asking you for ultra slim pickup purchase advice.
I do not have an archtop, I have a Yamaha silent classical with steel strings, I like this guitar, but I would like to add a humbucker to have a "sweet jazzy" sound (Ed Bickert sound, Kenny Burrell sound, etc...).
I am thinking of buying an ultra-slim humbucker. I was thinking of purchasing the "Lace sensor ultra slim acoustic, " but I haven't found any video on youtube (there are only resonator guitar videos).
Also, the Krivo would be an option, but since I am in Italy, buying a krivo is not so easy.
The lace will cost me around 160$ the Krivo 240$ shipped.

I need a slim pickup to attach at the end of the neck without milling the guitar.
Do you think that I can have the sound that I am looking for? Do you have a different solution to suggest to me?
I have a Krivo on two resonators and they rock, I've never kept a Lace pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops