The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 07:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Share Your Photos VIII

Continued from Share Your Photos VII.

Please, continue to post your terrific photos.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:59 PM

Yay! I love these threads!!

This is a sunset over the Tetons a couple years ago. About the only good thing about what has seemingly become yearly huge fires is that the smoke tends to make pretty sunsets.

I could do without the fires though...

A bunch of stuff...lol

Last edited by kego; 03-28-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Ah, nice! Made me think of some shots I got of Half Dome from Olmsted Point one evening, returning to the valley from Tuolomne Meadows. Came around the bend and it was lit up with this amazing light from the smoke of a nearby fire.

The really cool part of this is that I only had a 24-105mm zoom, with which I got the second shot. But there was a nice guy next to me with his wife and young kids, taking some shots. He saw I also had a Canon, and asked me if I wanted to use his much longer, very nice, very expensive Canon zoom. Total stranger! I gladly accepted and got the first shot above. I will always remember that small gesture of trust, kindness, and photographic camaraderie. Makes the photo that much more special for me.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 03-28-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:25 PM

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-28-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Ah, nice! Made me think of some shots I got of Half Dome from Olmsted Point one evening, returning to the valley from Tuolomne Meadows. Came around the bend and it was lit up with this amazing light from the smoke of a nearby fire.

The really cool part of this is that I only had a 24-105mm zoom, with which I got the second shot. But there was a nice guy next to me with his wife and young kids, taking some shots. He saw I also had a Canon, and asked me if I wanted to use his much longer, very nice, very expensive Canon zoom. Total stranger! I gladly accepted and got the first shot above. I will always remember that small gesture of trust, kindness, and photographic camaraderie. Makes the photo that much more special for me.

That first shot is just fantastic!

The other one is very nice too but the first one, is stunning.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
Yay! I love these threads!!

Thus is a sunset over the Tetons a couple years ago. About the only good thing about what has seemingly become yearly huge fires is that the smoke te ds to make pretty sunsets.

I could do without the fires though...
Interesting shot..... Yes unfortunately with the current lack of snow pack and if we don't get more snow now and or rain throughout the summer is could be another really dry year with extreme fire danger

Here is shot on a clear day (also a number of years back) with a tiny little cloud over Grand

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
That first shot is just fantastic!

The other one is very nice too but the first one, is stunning.
Thanks Ray, much appreciated! I totally agree, no question. I do also like the context which the second one offers as a compliment, as it shows the source of the smoke and places Half Dome in the context of the larger Yosemite landscape.

I keep a fair sized print of the first one in my office.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Great shot of Half Dome, Dirk. That's a beautiful place... in person and photos. I have the Ansel Adams B&W shot hanging on a wall.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Great shot of Half Dome, Dirk. That's a beautiful place... in person and photos. I have the Ansel Adams B&W shot hanging on a wall.
Thx Kerbie! Yosemite is magical for sure. Here are a couple more images from the past several years. First is from Glacier Point, the second from the valley floor, with apologies to Mr. Adams.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Just awesome, Dirk! I saw it in person years ago on a family trip to Yosemite. What a beautiful park. Then I got to fly over it many times on approach into San Fran and it's even incredible to see from altitude... and remarkably distinctive. I like the B&W better. The clarity is pristine. I think Mr. Adams wouldn't mind a bit... he would have liked it!
Old 03-29-2022, 04:40 AM

I love these Yosemite photos.

I'd love to get there some day.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 03-29-2022, 05:47 AM

Dirk’s B&W Half Dome image makes me wonder what Ansel Adams would have done with Photoshop.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Dirk’s B&W Half Dome image makes me wonder what Ansel Adams would have done with Photoshop.
he probably would have said something like "Hmmpfff!" scratched his head for a but then walked away thinking that civilization is doomed.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 03-29-2022, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
he probably would have said something like "Hmmpfff!" scratched his head for a but then walked away thinking that civilization is doomed.
Oh I disagree! He was the master of exposure manipulation during the print process, dodging and burning each part of the image to very precise degrees. I think Lightroom would have been a joy to him. Here’s a good read:

https://www.haroldhallphotography.co...and-group-f64/

He used every trick at his disposal. I think it would be amazing to see what he’d have done. He started playing with color but hated giving control to the print shop. Today he’d have had full control.

I would speculate he’d be a strong proponent of making prints, and keeping that as a huge part of the process.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 03-29-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Just awesome, Dirk! I saw it in person years ago on a family trip to Yosemite. What a beautiful park. Then I got to fly over it many times on approach into San Fran and it's even incredible to see from altitude... and remarkably distinctive. I like the B&W better. The clarity is pristine. I think Mr. Adams wouldn't mind a bit... he would have liked it!
Thanks Kerbie! I think he’d have rightly said the bottom half is kind of a mess with few discernible features. I’d love to shoot it again from there with a different light angle to create some foreground separation.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic