The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Redwood Guitar

Thinking of starting a custom build with a Redwood top. From your experience what's the best tonewood pairing/body size for a redwood top guitar? Also open to suggestions for luthiers that make a great redwood guitar.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

George Lowden has an affection for African or Tasmanian Blackwood under a Redwood (often Sinker) top.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-27-2022, 05:31 AM

I've got two custom carved top and back instruments (a 10 string mandola and a 10 string mandocello) that have redwood tops with maple back, sides and necks. Its a great combo on these - great clarity, volume and sustain. Built by Tom Jessen at Cricketfiddle.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:42 AM

That partly depends upon how you want to guitar to sound once done. I've seen a bunch of them combined with Walnut, African Blackwood, Ziricote... Mine is backed with Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle. They all have their own unique voices. There is a lot of choice out there and an unusual combination might be fun.

Because Redwood is a dark wood, aesthetic considerations may take on a larger role. Mostly, folks expect the back to be darker than the top. Do you? Tops and back of a similar hue are not uncommon and are usually acceptable too. But a lighter back? How do you feel about that?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:09 AM

I had a redwood+ziri deep OM. Didn't wow me. I tried a very nice redwood OM by a popular builder here. I love his spruce topped guitars, but this didn't do anything for me.

I'm sure there is the perfect back/side, size, and builder for redwood. So far I don't think it sounds right in my hands.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:42 AM

I've got a guitar from a luthier in the Pacific Northwest, that has a redwood top and mahogany for the rest of it. It's hard to comment on the sound quality, it's not like anything I've heard before.

Turtle
Old 09-27-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I love redwood. I have 4 redwood topped guitars... 2 Indian Rosewood, 1 Brazilian and 1 Olivewood. I admittedly am a Rosewood guy, so I am biased towards more overtones and less dry sound that the Mahogany side of the spectrum brings. With that said, a lot of builders love to use Walnut with Redwood. A good stiff top like that of sinker or Lucky Strike will give you more headroom than the average "normal" redwood, but regardless, I really like what redwood has to offer.

As far as contrasting colors: My Olivewood guitar definitely contrasts, but being bound in Purple Heart and the magnificent back and sides make it a sharp looking guitar IMHO.

I'd share better pictures if I had any more...
Old 09-27-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I have a redwood / cocobolo John Kinnaird deep OM guitar that I love and got a lot of attention from the crowd at Big 2.

I think the builder will likely be more dominant than the backwood in the outcome.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 09-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

My redwood over Tazmanian blackwood Hippner 00-size guitar has outstanding tone, and i'm sure was quite attractive when new. It is my workhorse and was somewhat "weathered" when i got it, so it has quite a few dings now.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

IU had a Goodall Standard with Redwood top over EIR. Big guitar with an even bigger voiced. Enveloping and intoxicating. Great guitar but it didn't last...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-27-2022, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I've played quite a few great sounding Redwood acoustic guitars. One of my favorites has been what James and Luke Goodall are doing with Redwood. I have a Goodall Concert Jumbo in Redwood and Palo Escrito that is one of the finest Fingerstyle guitars I've owned. I've had some good ones!

A couple other builders that are known for being great with Redwood that I've tried are Bruce and Matt Petros also Kevin Ryan builds a fine redwood instrument too!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I'd choose a builder first, then I'd let him guide me with his experience as he talks to you about the build. What your hopes are for the end result will color you choices. Do you want an exotic wood look? Plain wood but nice inlay? Both?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion