The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2022, 10:51 AM

Default Rubber bridge guitars

Do any of you have experience with rubber bridged guitars? The have a neat plunky sound. My son wants to get one. The rubber bridge guitar part starts 50 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/2SWhdaZ1-Rw

Last edited by lkingston; 02-20-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:53 PM

You got me curious. Listened to a few on YouTube. Here’s one for sale on Reverb. I have NO connection just looked it up. 1960s Harmony Electrified Rubber Bridge Parlor Guitar - fresh set up, ready to go! With case.
Used – Excellent
$199.99
+ $35 Shipping
https://reverb.com/item/43776073-196...o-go-with-case
Old 02-20-2022, 02:17 PM

Phoebe Bridgers used one extensively on her album Punisher and it has that same sound. Jeff Tweedy of Wilco started using one recently too. Madison Cunningham also uses one. My understanding is that you pretty much need to use a pickup because the volume is muted a lot. I think it's a cool sound.

If you haven't seen this article, you might find it interesting:
https://reverb.com/news/the-rubber-b...er-indie-music
Old 02-20-2022, 03:49 PM

It's very much like total "palm muting" in the way it sounds. Also like the sound you get from a violin with a mute. Violin mutes are a rubber cap that clamps onto the top of the violin bridge, muting the sound, but also changing the tone. Seems to me you could make one for a guitar that would clamp onto the saddle and give a similar sound. Or maybe weaving a rubber strip through the strings right up against the saddle might do it. Very cool sound, kinda Caribbean sounding, or African.

Jack
Old 02-20-2022, 05:33 PM

I've been known to grab a paper napkin from a table dispenser, roll it up tight, and wedge it under the strings right in front of the saddle. Plunka-plunka-plunka. Another method: cut a piece of scrap foam packing to shape and size, wedge, etc. (I made one specifically for my 6-string banjo.) Easily reversible and free.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
I've been known to grab a paper napkin from a table dispenser, roll it up tight, and wedge it under the strings right in front of the saddle. Plunka-plunka-plunka. Another method: cut a piece of scrap foam packing to shape and size, wedge, etc. (I made one specifically for my 6-string banjo.) Easily reversible and free.
Ralph Towner grabbed books of matches, back when hospitality businesses handed them out as promo items, i presume, and used them in the same way but for a different effect.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:55 PM

I believe that Old Style Guitar Shop in LA are the originators of rubber bridge guitars (or at least that’s where Phoebe Bridgers, Jeff Tweedy, Perfume Genius, and Aaron Dessner got theirs). I spoke to someone over there some months back and they were incredibly friendly although they were out of stock of these at the time. I plan to call back again when the finances work out for me to do so.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
I believe that Old Style Guitar Shop in LA are the originators of rubber bridge guitars (or at least that’s where Phoebe Bridgers, Jeff Tweedy, Perfume Genius, and Aaron Dessner got theirs). I spoke to someone over there some months back and they were incredibly friendly although they were out of stock of these at the time. I plan to call back again when the finances work out for me to do so.
There's a great podcast with Old Style owner discussing the rubber bridge guitars at Fretboard Journal podcasts.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There's a great podcast with Old Style owner discussing the rubber bridge guitars at Fretboard Journal podcasts.

Do you have a link?
Old 02-20-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Do you have a link?
Here's an interview with Reuben Cox (Old Style Guitar Shop) who makes and sells the "rubber bridge" guitars.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...e-guitar-shop/

If You want the details about those specific guitars you'll want to listen to Sam Weber, podcast #355 who talks about his rubber bridge guitar:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...355-sam-weber/

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-21-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:37 PM

Reviving this thread — anyone aware of any drop-in rubber saddles that would achieve this effect on something like a Jim Dandy with a magnetic soundhole pickup?
Old 09-26-2022, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
Ralph Towner grabbed books of matches, back when hospitality businesses handed them out as promo items, i presume, and used them in the same way but for a different effect.
Similar to Stuart Ryan, who at this gig used a folded promo postcard:

No need to buy a special guitar and easily reversible.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:25 AM

Default Rubber bridge acoustic

Hey all,

There's a new craze in the indie music world where artists are using little cheap parlour guitars with rubber bridges and I actually love the sound. It's a muted, percussive plucked sound and it really works well for some music. Only one store seems to sell these retrofitted vintage guitars, Old Style Guitar Shop in California which isn't an option for me living in Ireland. Has anyone here experimented with it? It seems to work well with parlors with floating bridges so I was going to buy a Recording King Justin Townes Earle Signature and put some thin rubber on the existing bridge. I'd also put flat wounds on it and try compensate the bridge slightly too. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I have looked at foam under strings and palm muting etc but it just doesn't work as well. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work and i still have a nice little parlor to play around with! Many thanks
Old 11-29-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I haven’t heard of these guitars but I know that some banjo players lay a piece of painter’s tape where the strings go over the bridge to get a plunkier tone. I used to do that on an old banjo that I had. You might try that and see what you discover.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-29-2022, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Don't know if you saw this earlier post on rubber-bridge guitars, but there might be something useful:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ghlight=rubber

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion