The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2022, 06:11 AM

IMHO, It's the kind of signal processor that you really shouldn't know it's active.

I would not use one to "boost" the signal and IMO it should not color/alter the sound/tone of my guitars

I try to set them to raise the "floor" on quieter moments, finger picking, or when pulling back dynamics when using a pick, and to drop the "ceiling" when strumming harder or using a pick.

When I use a compressor that's what I try to achieve with it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-21-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I don't consider the compression effect a 'sweetener'. I'd describe in layman's terms as more of an 'evener' in that it evens out the sound levels a bit between heavy and light attack.

The only pedal I ever tried that was a sure-fire 'sweetener' is the wonderful little TC Electronics Body Rez pedal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Mike Piera (Analog Mike) says “its like pouring honey all over your tone.” Not sure I’ll ever understand that one! But I agree with you on the TC BodyRez. Not sure what all it sprinkles on tone, but it does sound nice.
When I looked into the Bodyrez, it was compression and (scooped IIRC) EQ. Nice to have it all in one tiny preset pedal, but presumably replicable using traditional separates.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:09 AM

I've used the mooer yellow comp and liked it.
But when I bought the helix stomp
I used its comps instead.. like mentioned
Above with a comp on acoustic
Less is more..
Old 09-23-2022, 07:49 AM

I use an expensive 4 knob compressor on my electric rig, the blend knob that comes on the better compressors is the key to maintaining quality tone. And yes, a good compressor adds a sparkle and presence that's hard to live without once you've tried it. Personally, I don't see the need for a compressor on an acoustic set up and wouldn't use it.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 09-23-2022, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GF- View Post
When I looked into the Bodyrez, it was compression and (scooped IIRC) EQ. Nice to have it all in one tiny preset pedal, but presumably replicable using traditional separates.
Interesting, I never really looked into what made the Body Rez tone so sweet. But I guess it makes sense, dampen the loud, boost the soft, apply some EQ. I ultimately abandoned all pedals and just use whatever is available on the amplification system I have since when playing amplified, no one in the audience really knows or cares about that sort of thing beyond the guy playing the guitar anyway!
Old 09-23-2022, 11:44 AM

There was a thread sometime a ways back where somebody tried to duplicate the effect of the BodyRez pedal. As I recall it did involve EQ and compression and just a touch of very short tail reverb. Maybe someone else remembers better.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 09-24-2022, 11:14 PM

I ran square into an objection with it on guitars. Set it for a desired amount of effect (reduction, but almost any use of the volume control at the guitar.. that 'balance goes right out the window.
Now a few years ago I got on to solution (via Jerry Garcia thank you :>).. Put the primary master guitar pot after returning from the comp at the amp.
But going on 73 here is getting a bit late for a pair of new custom rigs
Old 09-25-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
I ran square into an objection with it on guitars. Set it for a desired amount of effect (reduction, but almost any use of the volume control at the guitar.. that 'balance goes right out the window.
Now a few years ago I got on to solution (via Jerry Garcia thank you :>).. Put the primary master guitar pot after returning from the comp at the amp.
But going on 73 here is getting a bit late for a pair of new custom rigs
Never too late to learn. Are you using pedals or rack mount?

[Edit] Actually, either way you're using guitar signal. Would a mini volume pedal not be insert-able into your system?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/valeton-...C%20PLA%201%20[Generic]&utm_term=4576373563915893&utm_content=#catch

Last edited by shufflebeat; 09-25-2022 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I always leave the guitar volume alone and adjust levels at a later point in the signal chain. That might be with the preamp output level (which is after my comp in the effects loop), at the mixer if I have control of it, or at the amp or monitor. As you say, the level of the guitar at the very beginning of the chain can mess with lots down the line, whether it be effects, driving an amp, monitor levels or FOH levels (and if you have someone else doing FOH, they won't be super happy if you keep twiddling your guitar levels from the stage).
Old 09-26-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Never too late to learn. Are you using pedals or rack mount?
[Edit] Actually, either way you're using guitar signal. Would a mini volume pedal not be insert-able into your system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I always leave the guitar volume alone and adjust levels at a later point in the signal chain. That might be with the preamp output level (which is after my comp in the effects loop), at the mixer if I have control of it, or at the amp or monitor.
As you say, the level of the guitar at the very beginning of the chain can mess with lots down the line, whether it be effects, driving an amp, monitor levels or FOH levels (and if you have someone else doing FOH, they won't be super happy if you keep twiddling your guitar levels from the stage).
Thank you both.
To answer :>) A volume pedal post FX' -compressor is this case would be logical and easier for many.. however I need the guitar 'master level at (on) the guitar -for the mobility on stage while playing.

"I always leave the guitar volume alone and adjust levels at a later point in the signal chain".. seems odd, at least given the 'rathers' mentioned seemingly all out of reach? (Perhaps a volume pedal was intended?
Your second paragraph points are all valid. But again, with item one, my point of control is (would be) post 'FX. To the others, sort of seems to imply not varying your guitar level ..at all?
Having said that, perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
"I always leave the guitar volume alone and adjust levels at a later point in the signal chain".. seems odd, at least given the 'rathers' mentioned seemingly all out of reach?
There are several points in the signal chain where you can adjust the volume. There also may be different branches in the path--to the mains, to an amp, to the monitors. Some may be accessible to you, others may only be accessible to someone else at a given moment, but all are accessible.

Your setup will dictate this, but in general, I'd be adjusting any stage or FOH volume well after the guitar FX chain. If I needed to adjust my stage volume, I'd do it either with the monitor mix, or with an amp onstage. For FOH, use the mains mixer, either by asking the sound engineer or doing it yourself. If you are running to both mains and monitor, adjusting the guitar volume isn't recommended because it will affect both, even if all you want to tweak is one or the other. (As it happens, I can run my mains and monitor mixes myself, from a tablet mounted right on my mic stand, with a digital mixer.)

I guess if you are only playing with a single sound source (just an amp, or line system set up behind you--no monitors) I guess you could just adjust the guitar volume, but it shouldn't be too hard to just tweak the amp or array, since it'll be there on stage with you. Changing the guitar volume will affect *any* effect you're using, be it compression, reverb, saturation, etc.

Finally, if you are making constant volume adjustments based on the song, how you are playing, etc. then yes, I'd go to a boost or volume pedal at the very end of the FX chain. If that's the case, you're not just tweaking your stage volume occasionally, you are using it as part of the performance, so put it where you can have your mobility but not mess up other parts of your signal chain.

A long way of saying... no, I don't vary my guitar level onstage, once set. At all. There are reasons to do it that way, IMO.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:

It is possible but the Body Rez is so compact and easy to use I use mine along with a Pz-pre.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-27-2022, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Interesting, I never really looked into what made the Body Rez tone so sweet. But I guess it makes sense, dampen the loud, boost the soft, apply some EQ. I ultimately abandoned all pedals and just use whatever is available on the amplification system I have since when playing amplified, no one in the audience really knows or cares about that sort of thing beyond the guy playing the guitar anyway!
Yes, I think there's some truth in that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
There was a thread sometime a ways back where somebody tried to duplicate the effect of the BodyRez pedal. As I recall it did involve EQ and compression and just a touch of very short tail reverb. Maybe someone else remembers better.

Cheers, _Roger
You prompted me to have a look and while I couldn't find a thread quite like how you describe I did find a bit more info.

As well as (scooped mids) EQ and some compression, it seems (from TC Helicon's manual for the Play Acoustic) that it also has some sort of "ambience". Whether that's reverb, chorus, tremolo, a mixture of all 3, or something else entirely, I don't know. In the chats I looked at, saturation also gets mentioned a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
It is possible but the Body Rez is so compact and easy to use I use mine along with a Pz-pre.
Without a doubt, its selling point is its ease of use (effectiveness vs simplicity and size). Potentially it's replacing maybe 4 (comp, EQ, Chorus, Reverb) pedals with 1 mini.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I think there's some truth in that...

You prompted me to have a look and while I couldn't find a thread quite like how you describe I did find a bit more info.

As well as (scooped mids) EQ and some compression, it seems (from TC Helicon's manual for the Play Acoustic) that it also has some sort of "ambience". Whether that's reverb, chorus, tremolo, a mixture of all 3, or something else entirely, I don't know. In the chats I looked at, saturation also gets mentioned a bit.

Without a doubt, its selling point is its ease of use (effectiveness vs simplicity and size). Potentially it's replacing maybe 4 (comp, EQ, Chorus, Reverb) pedals with 1 mini.
I think the ambiance feature is part of the overall system. My stand-mount Play VG box samples the room with an internal mike and does *something* with it, to the mic and guitar.

The body-rez apparently has an automatic feedback notch also. With a built-in BodyRez, effects, and vocal processor all in one, it (play VG box) really lives up to its hype.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification