The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 06:51 AM
Guest 33123

I have very specific tastes too. I often can't find what I'm looking for through the usual suspects so for rare or OOP books I use abebooks.com.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
For years, I’ve been quite happy buying books from Amazon.... I became aware that Amazon was suppressing many titles...
I'm not aware Amazon is suppressing titles. I'm happy buying books from Amazon, as well as golf balls, office chairs, buffets, IOW, all kinds of things!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-12-2021, 08:48 AM

I get my books at Guitar Center or Schmidt Music
Old 04-12-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I have very specific tastes too. I often can't find what I'm looking for through the usual suspects so for rare or OOP books I use abebooks.com.
Abebooks is owned by Amazon. I don't care if Amazon stopped sales of certain more controversial Titles. That's their right as a private company. It's technically censorship but the US First Amendment doesn't apply to private companies. There's plenty of other places to buy those books both online and in person thanks to the free market.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
9 out of 10 times I buy “used” books in “very good” condition from Amazon.
Me, too.

I have two or three books going at any one time. I love reading. It keeps my mind active, I get to live out adventures I'd otherwise never have.

I know Amazon is not necessarily the best choice for buying books or anything else, but when a person lives way out in the country as I do, Amazon is one of my few choices. There are no bookstores near where I live.

- Glenn
Old 04-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Abebooks is owned by Amazon. I don't care if Amazon stopped sales of certain more controversial Titles. That's their right as a private company. It's technically censorship but the US First Amendment doesn't apply to private companies. There's plenty of other places to buy those books both online and in person thanks to the free market.
As an aside, public libraries have and do refuse to distribute books too.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I write books, the G&B Detective Agency novels, and they are sold through a number of distributors. Each of them has a different fee structure. They all take a portion for selling my books. Fair enough, everybody has to make a living. Amazon takes the least amount from me, gives me the most support and pays up the quickest. B&N takes the most and I make less than a dollar a book from them. I don't make much of anything from independent book stores and neither do they. There are too many layers feeding off of both ends of that deal. It isn't Amazon that is killing the independent book stores, it is the distributors who cut deals with the big box stores.

Amazon does not sell a lot of books for a lot of reasons and I'm not involved in what they do or don't. They drop authors who abuse and violate their rules to take advantage of them, especially books sold through Kindle unlimited because it is easily manipulated. Those who get dropped usually bring it on themselves. What I also know is that they treat the authors that they do sell very well and I sell more books through them than the rest combined. If you want the authors of the books you buy to get a fair shake, buy them from Amazon.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 04-12-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I write books, the G&B Detective Agency novels, and they are sold through a number of distributors. Each of them has a different fee structure. They all take a portion for selling my books. Fair enough, everybody has to make a living. Amazon takes the least amount from me, gives me the most support and pays up the quickest. B&N takes the most and I make less than a dollar a book from them. I don't make much of anything from independent book stores and neither do they. There are too many layers feeding off of both ends of that deal. It isn't Amazon that is killing the independent book stores, it is the distributors who cut deals with the big box stores.

Amazon does not sell a lot of books for a lot of reasons and I'm not involved in what they do or don't. They drop authors who abuse and violate their rules to take advantage of them, especially books sold through Kindle unlimited because it is easily manipulated. Those who get dropped usually bring it on themselves. What I also know is that they treat the authors that they do sell very well and I sell more books through them than the rest combined. If you want the authors of the books you buy to get a fair shake, buy them from Amazon.
Very interesting comments!

- Glenn
Old 04-12-2021, 10:33 AM

I like physically book "shopping". I get most at thrift stores, specifically Value Village, or from the chain Half Price Books.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing that viewpoint with us.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Very interesting indeed. I may have to rethink this. Thank you for sharing this perspective.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-12-2021, 11:03 AM

I do nearly all my reading on a Kindle now and so use Amazon exclusively. Thanks to R Link for the Amazon comments and for the G&B Detective Agency books, too bad the boys retired!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
I do nearly all my reading on a Kindle now and so use Amazon exclusively. Thanks to R Link for the Amazon comments and for the G&B Detective Agency books, too bad the boys retired!
That just made my day, maybe my week. Thanks.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-12-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That just made my day, maybe my week. Thanks.
Thanks for saying so. I read a lot of Kindle Unlimited and Skip and Max are my favorite kindle unlimited characters second only to DC Smith by Peter Grainger. I enjoy mysteries where the bodies don't pile up.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
You should check out your library. I get kindle books through them, which then sends you through amazon to download. For Free.

Hopefully you like a lot of authors, including some obscure ones. Because there are waiting lists for really popular books. I've been "175th in line on 8 copies" more than once! Generally have 5 or 10 on hold. And yes I've gotten three on the same day with a 21 day deadline!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic