The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Default Why not build your own combo amp?

I'm really not to impressed with the quality of acoustic amps, or most amps out there. Cheesy vinyl covering, pealing even!, made in some foreign country buy some kid. Not that I don't think kids shouldn’t work just not in a sweatshop. Got to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow got to put that on the list. Well anyway we all have these really nice guitfiddles why not a nice classy homemade amp to go along. I’ve seen some nice rack mounted 150 watt or so 2 channel amps on eBay. They are PA oriented and with a small 4-channel mixer (could even have a digital USB interface on it, wound that be sick?) you’d be set. By building it your self you could incorporate the components into the cab. So how about it? Are we not men, do we not live for the weekends and any excuse to fire up the circular saw? Drinking beer and operating power tools is the American way of life. You could go with a covering, veneer, or some nice laminated wood (avoid warping). Well the wood at least not the musician. Comments, concerns, general banter??
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 PM

IF you understand amplifier electronics and especially cabinet design for speakers, you might build a passable acoustic amp. It will not equal small shop amps with all the same specs you describe. Might not be the sonic equal of those dreaded imports. Fun project but don't expect too much.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDNME View Post
Cheesy vinyl covering, pealing even!, made in some foreign country buy some kid.
Well, that may apply to some of them. The AER Compact 60 I have (with an Oak housing) that was made in Germany falls into a different category.

BTW -- it's serial number #1 for the Oak Case Model.

I'm gonna' leave the "Comments, concerns, general banter??" for the others to add theirs. But, if you feel like making an amp, by all means, give it a go.

Peace,
Bill

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 01-16-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:45 AM

I am sure you could make a very nice one without too much trouble. There is a large community of audio nuts online that make their own. I made half a dozen audio tube components. Likely fairly good support for guitar tube amps online too.

They are high voltage so be careful.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by CraigRyder; 01-16-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDNME View Post
I'm really not to impressed with the quality of acoustic amps, or most amps out there. Cheesy vinyl covering, pealing even!, made in some foreign country buy some kid. Not that I don't think kids shouldn’t work just not in a sweatshop. Got to go to Wal-Mart tomorrow got to put that on the list. Well anyway we all have these really nice guitfiddles why not a nice classy homemade amp to go along. I’ve seen some nice rack mounted 150 watt or so 2 channel amps on eBay. They are PA oriented and with a small 4-channel mixer (could even have a digital USB interface on it, wound that be sick?) you’d be set. By building it your self you could incorporate the components into the cab. So how about it? Are we not men, do we not live for the weekends and any excuse to fire up the circular saw? Drinking beer and operating power tools is the American way of life. You could go with a covering, veneer, or some nice laminated wood (avoid warping). Well the wood at least not the musician. Comments, concerns, general banter??
At our last guitar party Don Hindenach sent his homebrewed acoustic amp for us to try. Check the last couple of pics on this page:

http://www.fxguidry.com/GTG2008/index.htm

Lots of folks thought it sounded really good.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 AM

I was thinking about this sort of thing for a bass amp, but things took a turn....

I had a 100w Peavey keyboard amp.......

that I played bass through.....

like this......

but the preamp section died.

ah well, so I scoured eBay for a bass head that could be used with the still perfectly working speakers.......

a piezo horn and an 18" monster

I dared to search Trace Elliot.......

and I find a 715SMC 150w "head" advertised.......

now the 715SMC is not and has never been a head. it's a combo......

but this one was the amp section which had lost it's combo, just a bare chassis......

which cost me £50!!:toohappy:

an hour introducing it to a pine table that had languished in the back of my school store for 5 years......

and......

tahdah!!!

once the electronics section is removed from the peavey and the "new" head is parked on top.......

I think I'll need to go to the dentist......... this combination has shaken a few fillings loose!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 PM

I like it.
2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop