The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-10-2021, 07:58 AM

Default Mac or iOS program for recording video with a backing track

Good morning AGF I did a search but came up empty handed.

I’m using a MOTU M4 and need to record videos of myself playing with a backing track in real time.

I was wondering if anyone had recommended apps or applications that would allow me to record myself playing via webcam with audio from the M4.

Right now I am playing the backing track in iTunes and using the Photo Booth program on my Mac - which actually works but I have to mess around a bit too in to control the loop back mix volume as it relates to my guitar.

I’m looking for a one stop shop where I can set the backing track level and hit record and have it do it’s thing.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 04-10-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman View Post

I’m using a MOTU M4 and need to record videos of myself playing with a backing track in real time.

I was wondering if anyone had recommended apps or applications that would allow me to record myself playing via webcam with audio from the M4.

Right now I am playing the backing track in iTunes and using the Photo Booth program on my Mac - which actually works but I have to mess around a bit too in to control the loop back mix volume as it relates to my guitar.

I’m looking for a one stop shop where I can set the backing track level and hit record and have it do it’s thing.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
"One stop" ,, as in one step ?
There may be some DAW's that will accept video from a computer cam and record audio simultaneously , but I have not tried it

I have however done it 2 step, used my iMac cam using the Mac OS Photo Booth app to record video and used Pro Tools to record the audio with my interface simultaneously . Then dumped both into iMovie

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-10-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Hi Chris,

You'll find that most folks are recording audio and video separately and combining in post-edit. It's not particularly difficult and gives you a lot of control over both the video and the audio you record.

The other popular option is using a camera with remote audio recording capabilities.

Sorry to be of no help, but others might have the same question as to how this is commonly done.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"One stop" ,, as in one step ?
There may be some DAW's that will accept video from a computer cam and record audio simultaneously , but I have not tried it

Yeah I know it’s a leap but I was hoping there might be something since making video with backing tracks isn’t that uncommon.

I have however done it 2 step, used my iMac cam using the Mac OS Photo Booth app to record video and used Pro Tools to record the audio with my interface simultaneously . Then dumped both into iMovie
I’ll give this a shot - I hadn’t tried combining and using the other applications.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Chris,

You'll find that most folks are recording audio and video separately and combining in post-edit. It's not particularly difficult and gives you a lot of control over both the video and the audio you record.

The other popular option is using a camera with remote audio recording capabilities.

Sorry to be of no help, but others might have the same question as to how this is commonly done.
That makes sense, thanks for the insight it definitely helps me look in the right direction.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I’m looking for a one stop shop where I can set the backing track level and hit record and have it do it’s thing.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Hi Chris
QuickTime used to record live video from the computer camera (any source the computer recognized as a camera) and it still might.

You are asking the computer to do three things at the same time (if I understand).
  • Record the video…
  • Record the backing track from a source on the computer…
  • Record your guitar playing along with the backing track…

I prefer to capture the video separately from the audio, and combine them in post processing. This gives me ability to capture video at a decent resolution, and the same with the audio.

Others here may offer other solutions.

Have fun experimenting and please report back with the results…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD