The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-17-2021, 09:04 AM

Default Is this beginner, intermediate or Advanced level?

My nephew sent me a few of his songs that he recorded on his iphone and I converted them from mov into mp4. The recording itself is not that great but I am wondering if someone can provide some feedback on his progress. He starts playing guitar 11 months ago. All of these are straight recording from his iphone, no enhancement whatsoever.

After six months of learning guitar:
https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-13...ory-of-my-life
https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-13.../heart-of-life

After seven months of learning guitar:
https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-138996963/eva-maria

After eight months of learning guitar:
https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-13...3/gameofthrone

After 10 months of learning guitar:
https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-138996963/song1

After 11 months of learning guitar:
https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-13...3/flamenco-mp4 (the recording on this one is not really good)

I am so jealous of what he is able to accomplish in just 11 months. I just start recently and I am still learning the basic chords.

Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2021, 09:13 AM

I like the Game of Thrones at 8 months the best. I'm jealous too! How old is he?

The only suggestion I would have is slow down a bit and work on timing, then speed it back up once everything is dialed in perfectly. Finding the discipline to do that has really helped me and I'm playing things that are less complicated. But sounds like he is doing great!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:15 AM

It is terrific for someone who has been playing for less than a year. I think words like “beginner” and “intermediate” apply to more than the performance of a collection of songs; it refers to a bundle of skills and knowledge. We can’t assess his knowledge from these recordings.

Further, I am not a big fan of some abstract evaluation and generalization. The only evaluation that is useful is the evaluation that helps me decide what to work on next. And we all have things we can improve, all have bits of useful information that we haven’t yet learned.

It’s up to him to listen to his playing and to decide what can use more focus. Our job is to encourage him to put in the time and effort.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
It is terrific for someone who has been playing for less than a year. I think words like “beginner” and “intermediate” apply to more than the performance of a collection of songs; it refers to a bundle of skills and knowledge. We can’t assess his knowledge from these recordings.

Further, I am not a big fan of some abstract evaluation and generalization. The only evaluation that is useful is the evaluation that helps me decide what to work on next. And we all have things we can improve, all have bits of useful information that we haven’t yet learned.

It’s up to him to listen to his playing and to decide what can use more focus. Our job is to encourage him to put in the time and effort.

Yeah beginner, intermediate and advanced could mean anything depending on context. I consider myself an intermediate player, but I can play some licks and passages that can be considered advanced.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:17 AM

On the evidence presented, I would say the middle to top end of beginner.

Why:
Timing - as others have said.
A cacophony of sound, not something that would attract or entertain the average listener.

To move to intermediate level takes time, masses of practice, playing with other muscians & infront of a critical audience. (Could be family & friends to start)

It is a very subtle improvement. Able to entertain an audience at an open mic, with confidence, playing 3 or 4 tunes or songs.

Also consider how the song is presented to the audience, with a beginning, middle & end.

Plus a level of music theory. Able to play the same tune in different keys to suit for example a vocalist.

Understanding & able to play different time signatures. e.g. 4/4, 2/4, 3/4, 6/8

Able to back & compliment other instruments the mix of a band.

Just my opinion..........[emoji846]
I have been playing for 48 years.

27 years in my front room - beginner / early intermediate level.
4 years in a British Morris Band - intermediate level
17 years semi - pro in a British Ceilidh Dance Band - intermediate level.
5 years solo blues, advanced level.

It's been a long journey.

Last edited by Spook69; 01-18-2021 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Probably the worst recorded sound I have heard. Other than that he's doing well, especially with his timing. Played some other instrument prior to picking up the guitar?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-18-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Probably the worst recorded sound I have heard. Other than that he's doing well, especially with his timing. Played some other instrument prior to picking up the guitar?
Yes, the recording itself is not good at all.

My nephew is 17 years old, and he played piano from the age of 6 until the age of 13. He is also taking AP music in high school so I assume he knows music theory well. He practices 90 minutes on weekdays and 2 hours each on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhubltz View Post
Yes, the recording itself is not good at all.

My nephew is 17 years old, and he played piano from the age of 6 until the age of 13. He is also taking AP music in high school so I assume he knows music theory well. He practices 90 minutes on weekdays and 2 hours each on Saturday and Sunday.
Thought he had played another instrument (piano being the most likely suspect). I played piano for several years prior to picking up a guitar.
Definitely that's a jump start on learning another instrument.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-22-2021, 07:40 AM

He recently played this jazz piece on the F183 fazioli: https://soundcloud.com/john-mayer-138996963/jazz-mp3
Old 01-31-2021, 01:22 AM

He's good, better than I was at that stage, and definitely more disciplined with his practice regimen. There's so much clipping in most of the recordings, along with reverb and other effects, which washes out much of the nuance required to give an accurate assessment.

I'll say that he seems to have a natural talent for fingerpicking, and he could pass for an intermediate player in some peoples' eyes. The strumming, though, sounded very rigid so I would recommend that he loosens his grip on the pick and focuses on his wrist movement in his strumming hand. Granted, most of the strumming was in the first recording at 6 months so there's good reason to believe he's improved since then
Old 02-01-2021, 09:41 PM

Progressing nicely, clearly practicing and making gains.

Beginner, intermediate, advanced, meaningless terms.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write