The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2020, 11:45 AM

Yes. They are thin on specs for sure.
Email questions should get a response.
I also had many questions regarding details, but am not planning any purchase currently.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

What is the price of the Dlutowski guitar? (I can’t seem to find it on the website)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:27 AM

I’m sorry but every time I see this thread I’m reminded of John Belushi as “Bluto” Blutarski in “Animal House.” No disrespect to Mr. Dlutowski who appears to be a very talented and skilled luthier.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
I’m sorry but every time I see this thread I’m reminded of John Belushi as “Bluto” Blutarski in “Animal House.” No disrespect to Mr. Dlutowski who appears to be a very talented and skilled luthier.
And we all know what Belushi did to a guitar in that movie!
Old 07-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
What is the price of the Dlutowski guitar? (I can’t seem to find it on the website)
You can see prices here:
https://www.artluthier.com/en/shop/
Old 07-25-2020, 12:06 PM
Guest 928

There are a lot of unknowns here. A specifications sheet would be helpful as would an approximation of shipping costs and possible tariffs.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
There are a lot of unknowns here. A specifications sheet would be helpful as would an approximation of shipping costs and possible tariffs.
Writing them is likely the only way to get that information. The site doesn't have it that I know of.

Speculation follows:

IMO, the lack of work on the website is a strong indicator, that their primary market is probably Spain or Spanish speaking countries. There's a lot of love for nylon strings and it could be already be as much as their production can handle, or they want to handle.

The guitars may be stellar, but based on the lack of information they provide, sales to the USA have likely not been a priority of any kind. If you can already sell all you can make locally or to your market base, then their website is adequate to the task.

Still, I'm sure they would answer questions, even coming in English. Google Translate works well enough if there is no English at all.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Uncle,

I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told I might have to investigate this possibility more and start raising funds. These guitars look awesome. I'm guessing around standard scale with about a 2 inch nut. I might even give up my Blackbird Lucky 13 in trade or to offset the cost.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Uncle,

I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told I might have to investigate this possibility more and start raising funds. These guitars look awesome. I'm guessing around standard scale with about a 2 inch nut. I might even give up my Blackbird Lucky 13 in trade or to offset the cost.
I see now that EvanB is everybody’s uncle. Bob must be jealous!
Old 07-25-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
And we all know what Belushi did to a guitar in that movie!
I n the movie Belushi didn’t want Stephen Bishop to go “On And On.”
Old 07-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Guest 928

AC: There must be some interest in sales outside of Spain, otherwise they would not bother with the English translations offered on the site (got to think positively).

Mot: Calm down.

ES: When you reach a certain age everyone thinks you're their uncle. I've definitely reached that age.

We should elect Sir Whale as our ambassador and ask him to represent the English speaking world in dealing with Dlutowski. He could help them address questions from this side of the pond: specs? Finish possibilities? Custom possibilities like 1.7/8 nut width? Tariff costs? Sale price on Columbus day? Etc.

As our ambassador, Sir could expect a great visit with the maker and could then do a review for a colonial market.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Thought I'd see what existed on YouTube. This is what I found.

This seems to be most of the videos in one place, but there are a couple more below.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxJ...CneuZNdaycHi0A

Their steel string version sounds very good to me. I'd love to try one sometime as well as their nylon variations.

I'd say their focus is on nylon, primarily. Makes sense. Spain. They know classical and flamenco well.

Here, maybe just my eyeball error, but this is a very new video and it doesn't look like a 2 inch nut to me, at least to me.

This one is all Spanish, but I think you can see the builder and his shop. You also get a really nice idea of the sound of the guitar from the short clip. I'd be very, very happy with that sound. The video was from a few years ago. I wonder how much longer he will continue to build?
Old 07-25-2020, 04:54 PM

This also popped up during the same search.

A mystery Spanish CF nylon string guitar from someone else. Maybe a one off. A bit less impressive sound wise. . . . but . . . . there is some ergonomics going on.

I wonder what else is happening with CF in the non-English speaking world?

Edit: Not a one-off. They have a website. www.evoninstrumentos.com Evon Instruments. Spanish only.

Last edited by ac; 07-25-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Journey Rob Bailey on Journey nylon post

I would like to see Emerald, Dlutowski, and Journey putting their heads together with a support group led by uncle Ev., in developing an untimate CF nylon. I know... very unlikely but they could probably learn a lot from one another.

Regardless, Mr. Bailey from Journey might be able to answer some of the questions regarding where they are headed with CF nylon. He recently replied to why the bridge on OC660 is closer to the rear on JOURNEY ADVERTISING THEIR CF NYLON thread.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I found the English, but not the information I would like. In particular, body size.
I'll just note that in this interview...

https://guitarrista.com/noticias/gui...towski-guitars

...he notes, while talking about the nuts and bolts of the construction, that the mold is made from another guitar, which then has to be thrown away.

I've owned a few guitars from Madrid, and I don't remember any of them being an outlier as to their comparative dimensions... but Madrid guitars might be larger than others as a group, to be fair. Since he's been building in Madrid for years, and is successful, I suspect the guitars for the molds have been in that vein.

I also suspect that the crowd which has him make more individual instruments for them already share that standard vision of what the basic instrument is. The carbon fiber version is half the cost of one of his wood instruments, but someone asking for specialized dimensions would likely bear the brunt of the costs for making a guitar to those dimensions to then produce a mold, before even getting to the CF instrument. I'm sure he'd do it, if the potential purchaser was willing to pay to make it worth it to him.

As a builder friend of mine always says, I'm happy to do what they want, if they think it's worth paying for.

----

I've got to admit, my guitar situation has been pretty stable for a long time, but now I'm facing both this flamenco model and the reintroduced Rainsong 12-string. This year might turn out expensive....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber