The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Old 08-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Lightbulb Luthier Tools - Nut Files, Straight Edge, Radius Gauges, Etc.

Been looking at Stew Mac and other places. Good nut files are pretty pricey. Checking to see if anyone has some used they would be willing to sell. Light/Medium string gauge. And any other luthier tools. Going to start doing my own setups and need to start collecting the proper tools.

Can email direct [email protected]

Jeff
Old 08-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I bought these new after shopping around: https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...e-set-3-files/ ($54) and am completely happy with them for my casual use. That store very occasionally has 15%-off coupons, but they are months apart.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks!! I saw those but was a little concerned about the sizes. I use light strings and therefore a 0.012” e. I’m afraid the 0.016” is too big??

Jeff
Old 08-08-2020, 10:13 PM
Dan - Charter Member

No, that's no problem. It should be a bit bigger so it doesn't bind. I also use 12's and the .016" has been fine.

I also looked and found many previous discussions, with answers by those who would know. This is pretty much your exact question: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=240412
Another one: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=366641.

I Googled [ site:acousticguitarforum.com nut file width ] and got these and many others.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwapoolguy View Post
Been looking at Stew Mac and other places. Good nut files are pretty pricey. Checking to see if anyone has some used they would be willing to sell. Light/Medium string gauge. And any other luthier tools. Going to start doing my own setups and need to start collecting the proper tools.

Can email direct [email protected]
FYI, I fully intended on buying "quality" nut files, but I now use feeler gauges, a digital caliper, and 400 grit sandpaper.

When filing a given nut slot, use a combination of feeler gauges, wrapped tightly with 400 grit sandpaper. Use the digital caliper to verify that combination you're using is a few thousandths/inch larger than the string gauge you're filing for. Works exceptionally well as the feeler gauges are quite rigid. A good caliper is very handy if you're going to be shaping saddles, and the feeler gauges and sandpaper only cost a few bucks. Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Saw that technique too Matts67. Might be an option for me as the string height at the nut is a little too high. Just need to drop it a little bit.

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other