The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Luthier Stories - 1000 Miles of Texas Desert with Jason Kostal

Hello everyone!

I have just released the series finale of Luthier Stories which documents an epic road trip that Jason Kostal and I took from Arizona, via New Mexico, to Texas for the extraordinary weekend that was the inaugural Texas B.I.G festival!

Jason and I met 10 years ago and during this trip we had the chance to look back at our decade-long collaboration as luthier and player. We talk about the ideas, music, good times, obscure dietary approaches of legendary rock and roll singers and above all, our love of the guitar, the instrument that brings people together as this forum has proved time and again.

This episode of Luthiers Stories did offer an interesting challenge. Jason and I have been making videos together for a decade and I had interviewed him several times at his workshop in Phoenix Arizona as well as in Berlin, London, Paris, Montreal and at guitar shows all over the USA. This would be an opportunity make a candid interview in an entirely different context. Obviously we'd be re-writing the Great American Road Novel, setting the world to rights and, with any luck, making it from point A to point B with a minimum of difficulty...

I fitted Jason's Range Rover with some discrete DPA microphones and we were off into the sunset!

One thing that I found particularly fascinating during our catch up was the evolution of the of my signature model the MDW model and its adoption and indeed adaptation into new instruments in the shape of a 14-fret model for Paul Richards of The California Guitar Trio and a nylon string for Willy Porter. Very inspiring stuff indeed!

Now, one of the most popular aspects of the Luthier Stories series has been actually hearing the instruments concerned. However, you'll believe me when I tell you that recording sensitive solo fingerstyle guitar is hard enough in the studio, let alone in the passenger seat of a moving vehicle! And besides, maybe this was another opportunity - in this case to show just how versatile Jason's work can be.

I was reminded of a conversation I had had with an extremely famous record producer to whom I had sold one of Jason's instruments, back when I did that sort of thing. He told me, and I'm paraphrasing to some extent, "What I love about this guitar is that it sounds perfect as soon as I record it and I don't need to do anything else!".

Thought-provoking words indeed... and it was this idea that convinced me that writing an original soundtrack for this film, while editing it at the same time, was a sane thing to do. So in this video you'll hear Jason Kostal's work in new musical contexts, recorded in different ways and in different styles. With no EQ, reverb or effects...

I hope you'll enjoy watching as much as I enjoyed making this episode of Luthier Stories and I thank you all for your support this past year since I started the series.

All the best

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Sounds like a great trip. Now I know what I will be listening to come lunchtime. Thanks, as always, for your wonderful videos, Michael.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Smile Great Stuff

This is great! Thanks for putting it all together.

It was a blast jamming with you at B.I.G. And the whole enchilada was awesome!

What a guitar party.

It was fun playing your new Maple Kostal and hearing you play my new Maple Round Peak from John Kinnaird, may have been the highlight of the entire BOSS weekend for me.

More Elvis! Woohoo....

Be well

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

This is fantastic and a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for putting this together Mr. Watts.

I’m really enjoying the Vetiver tab/notation I recently purchased from you. It’s so far been a lot of fun learning this song. I downloaded the entire album from iTunes and last night my wife and I had a lovely dinner with a great red listening to it in the background.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

THANK YOU, Michael and Jason, for giving us this brilliant road trip documentary. I could listen to you guys going stream-of-consciousness for days at a stretch, because you both have such interesting lives and such an eloquent way of telling stories about your adventures. Nice piece of film making, Michael, with the musical interludes and asides.

I made this trip too, from the opposite direction, with my friend and colleague, Joel Teel, and we had these long, rambling conversations as well, as that flat, virtually featureless, but oddly mysterious and entrancing landscape rolled by for hours.

The weekend at Tom and Kathy's house in Spring Branch has formed a lifetime memory of guitar-centric celebration, good food, music, and a gathering of old and new friendships. One of the highlights for me was having some quality time and conversations with both of you, who have been, since I first met you guys, some of the most inspiring and luminous human beings it has ever been my privilege to meet.

Tom Kathy, Natalie, and Dash (the best dog in Texas) are also in the heart of that circle. Thank you for your generosity and hospitality.

Raucous applause to everyone!
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Michael and Jason...for allowing us all to be “flies on the wall” during your trip to Tom’s. I enjoyed the video...and also visiting with you both at BIG. I’m looking forward to the next time we get to talk.

joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Thanks Michael, this video should be nominated for an emmy for video editing as I know the amount of footage which must have been gone through to find an hours worth that could be aired LOL!!!!! That was some pretty barren landscape to be sure coming across NM. I loved how the music character changed from NM to TX.

I thank you as does Dash and Kathy as well. I can honestly say it was a great time for all.

Tom
Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
This is fantastic and a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for putting this together Mr. Watts.

I’m really enjoying the Vetiver tab/notation I recently purchased from you. It’s so far been a lot of fun learning this song. I downloaded the entire album from iTunes and last night my wife and I had a lovely dinner with a great red listening to it in the background.
Hello Bob and thank you for your kind words, that really does mean a lot to me. I'm glad you're enjoying Vetiver (and the transcriptions!) and I look forward to sharing more music with you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
THANK YOU, Michael and Jason, for giving us this brilliant road trip documentary. I could listen to you guys going stream-of-consciousness for days at a stretch, because you both have such interesting lives and such an eloquent way of telling stories about your adventures. Nice piece of film making, Michael, with the musical interludes and asides.

I made this trip too, from the opposite direction, with my friend and colleague, Joel Teel, and we had these long, rambling conversations as well, as that flat, virtually featureless, but oddly mysterious and entrancing landscape rolled by for hours.

The weekend at Tom and Kathy's house in Spring Branch has formed a lifetime memory of guitar-centric celebration, good food, music, and a gathering of old and new friendships. One of the highlights for me was having some quality time and conversations with both of you, who have been, since I first met you guys, some of the most inspiring and luminous human beings it has ever been my privilege to meet.

Tom Kathy, Natalie, and Dash (the best dog in Texas) are also in the heart of that circle. Thank you for your generosity and hospitality.

Raucous applause to everyone!
Steve! I'm so glad you enjoyed the film, it was so good to meet you that weekend having admired your work online! I can finally say I played one of your guitars and had a great time doing so! I look forward to seeing you again soon.

All the best to you and yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Thank you Michael and Jason...for allowing us all to be “flies on the wall” during your trip to Tom’s. I enjoyed the video...and also visiting with you both at BIG. I’m looking forward to the next time we get to talk.

joel
Hello Joel! Likewise, it was lovely to meet you and to try your guitars, keep up the good work and stay in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Now I know what I will be listening to come lunchtime. Thanks, as always, for your wonderful videos, Michael.

Best,
Jayne
It's my pleasure Jayne! Thank you for your support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This is great! Thanks for putting it all together.

It was a blast jamming with you at B.I.G. And the whole enchilada was awesome!

What a guitar party.

It was fun playing your new Maple Kostal and hearing you play my new Maple Round Peak from John Kinnaird, may have been the highlight of the entire BOSS weekend for me.

More Elvis! Woohoo....

Be well

Paul
Paul! Great to meet you too! I really enjoyed our chats and your new guitar was wonderful! Stay in touch!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks Michael, this video should be nominated for an emmy for video editing as I know the amount of footage which must have been gone through to find an hours worth that could be aired LOL!!!!! That was some pretty barren landscape to be sure coming across NM. I loved how the music character changed from NM to TX.

I thank you as does Dash and Kathy as well. I can honestly say it was a great time for all.

Tom
Ah Tom, I've said this to you in private but I wanted to offer my sincere thanks and congratulations once again. It was an unforgettable weekend and if it hadn't been for you none of this would have happened! You rock the hardest and you can quote me on that!

Much love to the Family

M
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks so much, Michael, for putting all your heART and soul into this Luthier Story!!

A road movie, a ribbon to follow, but who knows where? Great conversations as the miles roll by, the accumulation of random sightings and musings taking one further than the intended destination. Not the easiest raw footage to edit, yet you've told us a story that pulls us right into the glove compartment of your guitarmobile, where the view is so fine. (I think I may have even sighted an Elvis impersonator...)

And most importantly, killer soundtrack, man. (Someone was having fun burning the midnight oil!)

Keep up the great work, Mr. Watts!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 07-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

What an awesome video, Michael--thanks for putting that together and sharing it! And very cool music to highlight the entire experience.

It was a fantastic weekend highlighted by meeting you and sitting in on your group workshop, talking with all the wonderful luthiers and playing their creations, hearing all the wonderful concerts and music, and hanging out with fellow members of the AGF community.

Can't wait to do it all over again!

Thanks again, Michael!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 PM

I see that Jason has a new model - guitarrón mexicano.
Goes well with the Texas theme.

Last edited by Johnny_Boy; 07-04-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:30 PM

What fun! I'm sorry I didn't get more opportunities to visit with the two of you at BIG and play Jason's guitars for longer, but the weekend was too short! My lesson was too short too, but it was definitely the highlight for me.

This road trip film is especially evocative for me since I've made that trip many times and recognized every place you stopped. (It's not like there are many alternatives!) There are a couple of small glitches I noticed: the map showing the route you took points to the wrong Spring Branch as the final destination (Tom's Spring Branch is just outside of San Antonio, it's not the suburb of Houston), and the bat bridge Jason describes sounds very much like the Congress Avenue bridge in Austin (though there may be one in San Antonio as well for all I know).My only other criticism of the film is that you didn't hire a videographer for the actual event! Maybe next year!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Hey Michael,
I watched your video this morning. I was thinking about a road trip to Phoenix in the fall but maybe I will fly now! I have driven to Big Bend, but the rest of the drive looks even more boring. Jason's dry sense of humor must have kept you going, but he tends to look at the listener and talk with his hands a lot so there were times when I wondered who was driving as you could see both of his hands and he was looking at you or the camera. As the buyer of the orphan Kostal OMC, I was hoping that he would make it. Oh wait, this all already happened before I handed him a check.

Seriously, it was a pleasure meeting both you and Jason. I had not had anywhere near the interaction of my guitar purchase as had Cigarfan. On then other hand, I received it in about a month. It is a terrific guitar and I also thank the person who ordered it as I could not have selected any better.

If you are ever back in Austin, let me know. You and Jason always have a place to stay.

Cheers,
Jeff McManus
Old 07-05-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Thanks so much, Michael, for putting all your heART and soul into this Luthier Story!!

A road movie, a ribbon to follow, but who knows where? Great conversations as the miles roll by, the accumulation of random sightings and musings taking one further than the intended destination. Not the easiest raw footage to edit, yet you've told us a story that pulls us right into the glove compartment of your guitarmobile, where the view is so fine. (I think I may have even sighted an Elvis impersonator...)

And most importantly, killer soundtrack, man. (Someone was having fun burning the midnight oil!)

Keep up the great work, Mr. Watts!
Thank you so much Deft! I'm glad you enjoyed being our dashboard bobble-head!

You're absolutely right of course, this kind of footage does represent a challenge and I have extensive content for my series one blooper reel... The soundtrack idea came to me as we were driving, it was only supposed to be one recurring theme, stripped back, kind of Paris Texas idea but it just grew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
What an awesome video, Michael--thanks for putting that together and sharing it! And very cool music to highlight the entire experience.

It was a fantastic weekend highlighted by meeting you and sitting in on your group workshop, talking with all the wonderful luthiers and playing their creations, hearing all the wonderful concerts and music, and hanging out with fellow members of the AGF community.

Can't wait to do it all over again!

Thanks again, Michael!
Thank you Nemoman! It was really good to meet you having enjoyed your posts over the years. It was a fantastic weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Boy View Post
I see that Jason has a new model - guitarrón mexicano.
Goes well with the Texas theme.

That's terrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
What fun! I'm sorry I didn't get more opportunities to visit with the two of you at BIG and play Jason's guitars for longer, but the weekend was too short! My lesson was too short too, but it was definitely the highlight for me.

This road trip film is especially evocative for me since I've made that trip many times and recognized every place you stopped. (It's not like there are many alternatives!) There are a couple of small glitches I noticed: the map showing the route you took points to the wrong Spring Branch as the final destination (Tom's Spring Branch is just outside of San Antonio, it's not the suburb of Houston), and the bat bridge Jason describes sounds very much like the Congress Avenue bridge in Austin (though there may be one in San Antonio as well for all I know).My only other criticism of the film is that you didn't hire a videographer for the actual event! Maybe next year!
Ha ha! Thank you so much for watching! Luthier Stories is entirely self-funded and I travel light. You're doubtless completely right about the bat bridge, next time I'm in Texas I'll check it out and report back. Ditto the moving target that is Spring Branch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Hey Michael,
I watched your video this morning. I was thinking about a road trip to Phoenix in the fall but maybe I will fly now! I have driven to Big Bend, but the rest of the drive looks even more boring. Jason's dry sense of humor must have kept you going, but he tends to look at the listener and talk with his hands a lot so there were times when I wondered who was driving as you could see both of his hands and he was looking at you or the camera. As the buyer of the orphan Kostal OMC, I was hoping that he would make it. Oh wait, this all already happened before I handed him a check.

Seriously, it was a pleasure meeting both you and Jason. I had not had anywhere near the interaction of my guitar purchase as had Cigarfan. On then other hand, I received it in about a month. It is a terrific guitar and I also thank the person who ordered it as I could not have selected any better.

If you are ever back in Austin, let me know. You and Jason always have a place to stay.

Cheers,
Jeff McManus
Hello Jeff!
It was a real pleasure to meet you over the weekend and congratulations on your wonderful new guitar. It's a beauty!

As for the no-handed driving approach, I can only be thankful for hundreds of miles of straight road. I'm sure I saw a lady reading a book as she drove past us...

I look forward to seeing you again and will definitely let you know when I'm back in the lone star state, thank you so much!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop