The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Default Tonewood Amp - Can I Run a Loop Pedal Into It?

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Tonewood amp for a very specific application but I'm not sure if it is capable of the specific task that I am interested in.

I'd like to run a looper (ditto or jamman) from the guitar into the tonewood amp (guitar>looper>tonewood) for coffee shop performances so that I can playback rhythm guitar through the tonewood amp while I improvise without using any sort of external amplifier. I suppose the question is essentially this - would it be possible to run the looper signal into the tonewood amp, and have the tonewood amp playback the signal from the looper into the guitar at a volume that would be loud enough to solo over? I could run a gain/eq pedal as well to boost the signal if necessary. I just wanted to get a little more info on whether or not this would be possible before moving forward with the purchase.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Never tried it, but if you put the looper after the Tonewood, why wouldn't it work like a normal looper?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Never tried it, but if you put the looper after the Tonewood, why wouldn't it work like a normal looper?
You would need to then amplify in order to hear what is being looped, and my take from the OP is that it would be undesirable to have to incorporate an external amplification source.

There are a couple issues at hand; the signal from the TWA wouldn't likely be hot enough to be heard over the din of even a small coffee shop without using the DI feature to run the effects through external amplification. The good news is that the effects still work very well this way; just instead of using the resonant chamber of the guitar it sends the selected effect to the amp or PA. But an even larger problem I see, and while I feel the OP has an interesting idea, is that there is no current foot switching that I know of to engage the TWA. While the TWA is a great invention, this is one area that I feel the device lacks- the ability to treat it like a real time effects processor or pedal board. It is cumbersome to layer music when your hands that need to be on the strings also need to be "switching" on the TWA. I did read somewhere that TWA is working on something that you can control with your feet but that hasn't been released as of yet.

Now I know people could say that it is meant mostly to be played on the go and "acoustically", but they did have the foresight to enable the device for live play. So, why not take it a step further and have some kind of stomp box feature to control the TWA hands free? You could run that same unit with a stompbox tuner, looper, etc.

I recommend you reach out on the TWA forum for an answer to your question. The moderators are quick to answer questions and you also could read about how others are using the device.

https://support.tonewoodamp.com/support/discussions

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification