The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Quality or Volume?

If you are composing or perhaps doing a recording of a cover are you more focused on getting things done quickly
and in higher numbers or on quality and polish even if it slows you down considerably? Most of us are not Mozart clones
to be able to do both on a routine basis.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-04-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If you are composing or perhaps doing a recording of a cover are you more focused on getting things done quickly
and in higher numbers or on quality and polish even if it slows you down considerably? Most of are not Mozart clones
to be able to do both on a routine basis.
The latter, without a doubt. Quality over quantity, especially if you’re working on something that taps your inner creativity, whatever that may be.
Speed kills! Often enough anyway.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

On a cover I try to take my time and get it decent, maybe not perfect, but the best I can get within a reasonable amount of time. I tend to get bored with something faster than I can learn it at times.

When I compose sometimes I'll get a ton of ideas and I'll record/notate them before I get a chance to forget the ins and outs of them because my notation creating skills aren't all that great. Those I'll tend to "push out the door." Other times, if I get an idea but can't carry it through to completion it can sit for some time before I finish it, if at all.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM

I'd certainly say the latter! for example, just this week I composed a small piece which is named "A Dancer's Interlude"............it's very early on.......captured it on my phone so I wouldn't forget a few things in there with picking pattern and time signature.
I rarely record in the summer, as I'm really busy and it's anything but quiet in the neighborhood.........but practice/compose a fair amount. My guess is that 2 minute piece will easily wait to be recorded sometime in October or later with a lot of practice and tweaking as I find out how it "wants" to sound and what guitar will eventually get the call to record with.
I find I'll wait weeks or months before posting anything here or on Soundcloud! I'm in no hurry!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-06-2019, 02:39 PM

It depends on the song and the duty it fulfills. Is it a cover to play at a pub? Might make sense to keep that one fairly simple. Is it an original composition? That might be polished up considerably more. Is it going to be sold or presented to a discriminating audience? Perfect that one.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 AM

It's an evolution.

First, there's a draft recording for the purpose of making a record of the work.

Second, tweaking and polishing are not always an immediate revelation. Waiting for it to reveal itself may be sooner or later and often only through much playing and review.

When I learn anything, including my own stuff, I mean just that. I can learn covers and/or write all day long but playing something well is a learning period that isn't always an obvious reveal, and if it is it isn't always easily executed.

Then, there's passion and conviction in the execution, which come only after the mechanical aspects are in the bag, and that must be developed as well.

That's about when I begin to seriously record for quality.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've said it before: I run music on "tracks." I've got a fast track for pieces that I'll be playing in the studio on short notice. I've got my favorites that I'm working on to eventually record that are complex and can take years. Everything else falls into a track somewhere in the middle.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write