The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Default Anyone tried electric guitar strings on x10?

Results?
I saw a video where they put electric guitar strings on the new Fender acoustasonic Telecaster, and it got me thinking that it might a feasible idea.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
Results?
I saw a video where they put electric guitar strings on the new Fender acoustasonic Telecaster, and it got me thinking that it might a feasible idea.
I don't have an X10 but I tried electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar in the past. It wasn't the best idea IMO the guitar lost volume and projection that it had with acoustic guitar strings. I'm not saying don't do it just that I wouldn't. If you're looking for something more exotic than the normal acoustic guitar strings you could try John Pearse pure nickels, D'addario nickel bronze or even Ernie Ball Aluminum bronze. I never had a good impression of the EB aluminum bronze but I only tried them on my X30 and I'm thinking to give them another try on a different guitar.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Try it and see how it works. Worst case is a wasted set of strings and maybe a truss rod adjustment (probably not with a carbon fiber Emerald neck).

I don't even use electric strings on my electric guitar. My Taylor T5 is currently wearing GHS White Bronze acoustic lights (54-12). I don't like the lessened tension of ultra light gauge electric strings - being used to more resistance I often bend entire chords out of tune. [Yes, I do need to lighten up my death grip]. Actually most of my guitars wear medium gauge strings anyway, so I'm really headed in the other direction.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:46 AM

I use Pyramid flatwounds (12-52) on my X-20. I dig the warmer sound they bring. I haven't actually had acoustic strings installed since I've had the guitar, if that helps.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 PM

My rationale is that this guitar is usually used for on stage where acoustic volume isn't really an issue. The benefit would be the ability to do some electric type shredding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber