The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Their conclusion: there was little to no difference in sound quality coming through the cable.
I am sure you realize no sound is coming through the cable, just a few millivolts.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-15-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
No, not exactly.

The Getaria I added the link for comes with lithiums and charges fully in 20/30 minutes, and will run for 4 hours. USB cable provided charges both simultaneously.

Another example is a Line 6 G10, that uses AA, you can buy the Energizer charge pack with 4 batteries for under 20 bucks. I've used the same batteries in rotation for well over 2 years. Never bought another set AA battery for the G10.

I use both aforementioned all the time.

I've had the Line 6 for a few years, the Getaria for about a week, I'm blown away by how good this 59 dollar wireless setup works. And if a band mate decided to use one too, they will figure out the channels to pair on and wont conflict with each other (tested and proven with the other guitar player in my band)
ditto on the Line 6... It replaced my Audio Technica that failed after several years.The Line 6 G10 is a pretty good unit and I use rechargeable batteries as well. It easily lasts for 8 hrs whereas the Getaria won't last a four hour plus show which is what I do 4 to 5 days a week.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
ditto on the Line 6... It replaced my Audio Technica that failed after several years.The Line 6 G10 is a pretty good unit and I use rechargeable batteries as well. It easily lasts for 8 hrs whereas the Getaria won't last a four hour plus show which is what I do 4 to 5 days a week.
yea, That is the one shortcoming of the Gertaria the Line 6 does not have. Great battery life with the G10. The belt pack is a little funky.

did you ever have the battery door open up during the middle of a song! LOL! If have it's an interesting event! "where'd he go??"

I put an elastic band around it when I'm doing something that "counts"...
Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 PM

One word, Mogami.

Lifetime guarantee.
Even the best cables eventually wear out.
When your Mogami does bring it to any seller and it will be exchanged for a new one.

When you buy a high quality Mogami cable you don't just get one cable.
You get a lifetime supply of that cable.
Suddenly they don't seem so expensive.

Last edited by Tico; 07-17-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Just buy some Mogami, Canare, etc., and buy some decent plugs like Switchcraft or Neutrik, and make your own for cheap. If a grown man can't solder 2 wires on each end, then he's got a problem.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
yea, That is the one shortcoming of the Gertaria the Line 6 does not have. Great battery life with the G10. The belt pack is a little funky.

did you ever have the battery door open up during the middle of a song! LOL! If have it's an interesting event! "where'd he go??"

I put an elastic band around it when I'm doing something that "counts"...
LOL! The battery door is cheap so I use an elastic pony tail hair tie to keep mine secure.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceroo View Post
... If a grown man can't solder 2 wires on each end, then he's got a problem.
Actually, soldering well is not obvious.
Maybe not rocket science, but not obvious.
Even grown men vary.

Years ago I was trained at one of NASA's contractors to NASA's exceedingly high soldering standards.
I was then certified to solder thingies that went into billion-dollar systems launched into outer space.
It had to be perfect.

I'm pretty sure that if you do your own soldering of Mogami cable material to the connectors they will not get Mogami's lifetime guarantee.
That's why I just buy them already soldered.
But, as always, YMMV.

Last edited by Tico; 07-17-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 AM

Tico,
I'm not against anyone buying pre-made Mogami cables because of the lifetime warranty, but you better spend even more money and buy 2, because I don't think Mogami will overnight you a new one when you have a gig the next day.....

....and as far as needing NASA level soldering for a guitar cable, well, I guess we all have our standards!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Most cheap cables aren't shielded and that will bring unwanted noise into your signal chain.
I will disagree with this a bit.

The difference between expensive cables (not over-priced, over-hyped cables, like those with the "M" name) and low-priced cables is usually in the quality of the shield and the quality of the connectors and how well the connections are made. I have used inexpensive cables from GC and Amazon and they are fine. Probably the biggest practical difference is that lower-cost cables will usually not stand up as well to heavy use.

Before you go looking for cables, I suggest you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyWt3kANA3Q

What this doesn't tell you is how much different cables are affected by EMI/RFI, which is interference from outside sources. This is where you'll find the biggest difference between really cheap cables, that don't really meet specs, and cables that do meet specs.

I had one mic cable, that was bundled with an inexpensive PA speaker I had, that fell into this category. I also had one guitar cable that I made years ago from the wrong grade of coax that did so as well.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification