The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Any New England McIlroy Owners?

Hello CoM friends!
I received my beautiful A30c just before Christmas 2018. Having only heard clips online, it has surpassed all that I hoped in sound and beauty! I’m in awe every time I play. The clear rumbling bass is so balanced with the sparkling highs and thick mids. I play barefinger fingerstyle and it is so crisp and clear.

That said, I’m a bit of a Hobbit (5’7”) and I’m finding the A size a little too large. Not sure if I’ll get used to the size or if I should have gone with the AS body.

So are there ANY Mcilroy owners in the New England USA area? I would love to test drive an AS size but would also be happy to try a different wood combo too!

Thanks friends!
Josh
Old 01-20-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Drove up The Fellowship of Acoustics this weekend and picked up an incredible A50 (Madagascar rosewood/Sitka Spruce). With so many wonderful guitars there, you'd think it would be a tough choice, but it wasn't at all. Played a few, saw this one, sat there for awhile with it and then went looking for someone to make the deal happen. Haven't felt this way about a guitar since probably '02 when I bought my Gibson CL30 Deluxe.

Will be doing a NGD post later this week!
Old 02-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Default New member

Hello to CoM Forum,
My name is Uli , living in Aachen Germany. I bought a wonderful used Mcilroy AS 76 10 th anniversary model in mint condition. Many guitars has came and gone the last twenty years but this one will stay for a long time. PlayStation like a Dream.Reading in this forum was a main reason to look for a Mcilroy Guitar.
Greetings from Aachen , Germany
Uli
Old 02-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Smile

" plays like a dream"
Old 03-03-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli View Post
Hello to CoM Forum,
My name is Uli , living in Aachen Germany. I bought a wonderful used Mcilroy AS 76 10 th anniversary model in mint condition. Many guitars has came and gone the last twenty years but this one will stay for a long time. PlayStation like a Dream.Reading in this forum was a main reason to look for a Mcilroy Guitar.
Greetings from Aachen , Germany
Uli
Wonderful! NGD coming from me soon. I'm still so excited about this guitar that even when I don't have time to play, I run my fingers across the strings and let it ring out.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:20 PM

Hello CoM. Thought id tell you about my mint A58. I am working from home; I'll get a cocobolo guitar. So, the stars aligned and I found an owner keen to sell this one with a redwood top. It is much wider than my Martin. The sound is orchestral. Like a piano. Not sure if the search is over. But am stoked nonetheless.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-16-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCoast View Post
Hello CoM. Thought id tell you about my mint A58. I am working from home; I'll get a cocobolo guitar. So, the stars aligned and I found an owner keen to sell this one with a redwood top. It is much wider than my Martin. The sound is orchestral. Like a piano. Not sure if the search is over. But am stoked nonetheless.
Welcome to AGF, it is a wonderful forum and here is where I learned all about Mcilroy guitars. The A58 sounds lovely and yep, it is, in my opinion, the tonal opposite of a Martin. Makes for a nice contrasting pair.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-16-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:14 PM

Love the cocobolo, certainly lives up to its reputation as being clear and loud. Wonderful guitar...great for finger playing.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCoast View Post
Love the cocobolo, certainly lives up to its reputation as being clear and loud. Wonderful guitar...great for finger playing.

Welcome to the McIlroy and AGF Family Congratulations on the A58! Would love to hear you play it sometime.

I was so close to ordering a redwood topped Mcilroy but went with Cedar Walnut. All of Dermot’s guitars are wonderful though!

Cheers!
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 08-06-2020, 03:34 PM

Default Hi!

Hi!
I have a really early McIlroy, A30c, #84. Finished in 2002.
I didn't know this thread existed. Excellent!

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Old 08-06-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Cardinal View Post
Hi!

I have a really early McIlroy, A30c, #84. Finished in 2002.

I didn't know this thread existed. Excellent!

Welcome!! How long have you owned this fine McIlroy? #84 sure is an early one! Bet that Sitka is now a beautiful honey color.
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM

Default hello

Lets see here, Ive had it about 7-8 years. Yes, the top is gold now, and the Rosewood is even and wide grained. It is an excellent guitar. I sent Dermot an email a long time ago about it, and he said "Whoa!!! Thats an early one!" He said it was an exciting time then. I obviously discovered him while researching Lowdens, and loved his story!

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 AM

Smile

Hey CoM, the Adamas historic series 1818 strings are currently on the A58. Have tried others but these 1818s sound incredible. Thanks for the suggestion (can't remember who it was on AGF). Plenty of meat on the bass
Old 04-22-2021, 02:01 AM

Good morning. I just purchased a Mcilroy A48 Redwood koa. Although I am far away, I am glad I discovered this thread. Thanks

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 04-22-2021, 05:28 AM

AJ16

No 887

Mahogany / Italian (Val de Fiemme) spruce large Jumbo.

the story?

Well, I'd Played a friend's Koa Mcilroy 7 or 8 years ago. it was quite simply the finest musical instrument I'd ever been in the same room as.

as a high school design technology teacher I had a big old workshop, so I started building guitars myself. and mandolins, bouzoukis etc etc.

eventually I had to take early retirement because my lower back is toast.....

so, I had a stock of tonewood and no workshop anymore, so it went on eBay.

Dermot contacted me and asked could he buy all my Rosewood back and side sets. I live about 10 miles from his workshop so I jumped at the chance for a visit.

I suggested the possibility of a trade for maybe a second/blemished guitar, but he doesn't do those......

Anyway, I arrive in Antrim and he shows me around the factory and there are three guitars hanging in the hallway. one had damage on the top around the fingerboard join. one had the top smashed in and had been (almost) invisibly repaired. I cant remember what was up with the other one.

I refused to touch them on the way past. I couldn't afford to touch them......

I touched to one with the repaired top.

Ok, how much?

its not for sale.

everything has a price, go on......

he said a price.

I went to the ATM.

he got a stack of rosewood back and side sets and some cash, I got a guitar which sings to my soul every time I touch it.

I KNOW how fortunate I am. I could never justify buying one of these magnificent instruments, either artistically or financially, but here I am.

I know some folk are very precious about their high end instruments and won't let another soul anywhere near them, but I let all comers play this because it deserves to be played by people who are better players than me!

I sing Dermot's praises at every opportunity.

I've played many Lowdens and Avalons over the years (I went to school about 1/2 a mile from the Newtownards factory and know Ernie McMillan who was their senior luthier for years)

their necks, just don't fit in my hand the way the McIlroy neck does.

I'm Just a little passionate about it as I'm sure you can guess!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop