The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinchriver View Post
Some 45 acp or 308 cartridges cut down for your volume and tone controls would fit right in with your military theme.
Rog - let me know if you need some. I'll bet I have some - and I have a brass cleaner so I can get them polished up for you (so you can turn around and relic them!!!).

Phil
Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Rog - let me know if you need some. I'll bet I have some - and I have a brass cleaner so I can get them polished up for you (so you can turn around and relic them!!!).

Phil
I've been trying to find some .50 cal BMG cartridges for the volume/tone knobs, but I can't seem to track any down. Do you think the 45 acp or 308 would be too small? If you think they'd work, I'd love to give them a try.

Oh and as for progress...
Good news - I got the finish sprayed (I think it looks FANTASTIC) and the tuners installed. I used Deft satin spray lacquer, and it did a great job.

Bad news -I tried to do my fret level and crown, but it appears thay my technique is somewhat lacking. I butchered it horribly even though I had the correct tools. Apparently there's an element of art to it that I don't have. So the next step is to remove the frets and try again.

I'll try to get some pics up this week of the finish.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM

45acp and .308 are under 1/2 inch. 300 win mag are just over......... probably .338 lapua mag would be about the right size. I think 50 cal would be too big
let me know maybe I can dig some up.
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 PM

I just measured, and the tele knobs I have are just barely under 3/4" diameter. Anyone know of a standard military caliber that fits that profile?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Roger
You might try a 50 cal. they should be close.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 AM

That's what I've been thinking, Rick. I'm having difficulty scaring up some empty cartridges though.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
That's what I've been thinking, Rick. I'm having difficulty scaring up some empty cartridges though.
Roger you might try a army surplus store or go on line for reloading supplies. Should be some out there somewhere.

Good luck

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 09-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Despite my fretting woes, I've applied the finish and wanted to get some updates up.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Whippersnapper

Wow, looks great Roger. I really like the body wood's rugged looks.

I notice in the last pic that their appears to be six plugs in the wood like for a string-thru design with ferrules or something. Just curious if you had a change of plans once you got into it, or if I'm seeing something else.

Thanks for the updates!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Well, I got a pm, and I may be having a cool detail arriving in the mail soon

Aside from that, here are some details on the guitar as it is right now:

The finish is Deft satin spray lacquer. It was really easy to work with. After 3 months of drought and 100+ temps, we had a cold, rainy front move in on the day that I wanted to spray the finish. I figured what the heck and sprayed any way. It went on just fine, and I was able to spray about 4 coats. I would wait 25-30 mins between coats with no sanding in between. I did a very light 320 grit sand after the final coat just to knock down a few rough areas. I don't know that I would have done this with another guitar, but considering the rugged look I was going for, I figured I'd have a lot of room for error.

You'll notice that I didn't do the ammo box bridge. I couldn't find anyone with a drill press large enough to drill my string through holes, so I tried to free hand them. Didn't work out so well, so I plugged with dowels and decided to go with a top-loading bridge. The ammo box wouldn't have been able to support the pull of the strings, so I just used a cheap bridge that I'd purchased earlier and painted it. You'll also notice that it's closer to one particular side of the pick guard, My neck was shifted slightly to one side, so the bridge had to move with it. I just need to rout that side of the pocket a little more, and everything will be fine.

I kind of anticipated a lot of issues like this. That's one reason why I wanted to build my first one as a "relic". If I had been trying to make this a factory-fresh, pretty guitar, I'd have given it up for lost a long time ago

I eventually plan to buy some compensated brass saddles, but this will work until I get it done and set up.

*EDIT* - You were posting as I was typing this up, Kyle. You're right on the plugs. You'll see in my reply above why I did it. Thanks for checking in.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Looking great Roger! I have some .45-70 brass that I'd be happy to contribute if you'd like to experiment. The .45-70 casing has a rim diameter of .60 inch and a base diameter of .50 inch.
Fender American Prof II Telecaster
Martin Backpacker
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM

I'll tell ya', I'm getting pretty danged frustrated at this point. I did some rework to the fretboard to give another go at fretting. I was pretty confident in my board being flat, and my slots deep and wide enough, so I bent some more fret wire and started installing with my newfound knowledge of proper hammering technique. The frets still weren't seating properly, so I pulled them out and took a good look at the fret slots. Apparently I'm not as good as I thought . My slots are cut on an angle, so as the frets entered the slot, they would contact on one edge but not the other. Sooooo now it's off to build my 3rd neck and fretboard. I may try to salvage this neck, but I tried steaming off the fretboard, and it didnt' work at all. I may try to run it through the jointer to remove the fb, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will end horribly.

On the bright side, I plan to build a couple of new tools/jigs before I start again including a better fretwire bender and a nice fret slotting jig.

I know you learn a lot by making mistakes, but danged if I ain't tired of learning so much on this build
Old 10-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Progress shots

The position markers are Durhams Water Putty. It worked out really well and gave a nice, aged appearance.

There are some imperfections (quite a few really), but I'm really liking the look. Someone from the OLF graciously offered to make me a fret board since I was having so many difficulties, and it turned out great. Fretting went very quickly since the slots were cut correctly
Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Looks like a mean 'ole guitar!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Whippersnapper

Very nice, Roger. I like the look of the darker fretboard wood, as I think it matches a bit better with the rest of the guitar. And the headstock logo thingy is cool. Is there a story behind it? I'm not a military buff, so I wouldn't know what it is or means, if anything.

Thanks for the update!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair