The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-20-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
I’ve seen this clip probably hundreds of times’. I’m not much a of Clapton fan but there’s something so right about this performance, especially the subdued solo.
He also did Blues Power on this broaadcast

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2Ilvek4So
After Matchbox I went back to my PC (probably on this site ) but my wife said she'd yell if Clapton came back on. She didn't, so I assume that his encore was cut for the re-airing. I'm sure there are three times as many commercials now as there were in 1971. But was Blue Power on the actual television taping of the show or was it only done for the studio audience?

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 07-20-2020, 07:58 AM

Who didn't Johnny Cash have on his show?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...hnny+cash+show
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-20-2020, 08:12 AM

People wanted him to stay the guitar god blues master. When he outgrew that and wanted to become a pop crooner, people were mostly confused (I dont think he's that good a singer). Other guitar gods came and took his place. some people are never satisfied. I saw him in concert twice in the 80s and mostly he was phoning in the old stuff like Layla.

The History of Eric Clapton (an import compilation) was the first serious album I owned (1971) and I listened to that a lot - it included some alternate D&D songs and Bonnie & Delaney material. It was great stuff, but time moves on.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

A fun video to watch. A surprisingly decent quality video for the times. I seem to recall that Dave Mason also played with the band in their very early days, maybe for only a concert or two.

I think I'll put on some of their music today.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

....just watched that entire show last night....Also on the the show was Ramblin Jack Elliot with Norman Blake on guitar...they did Muleskinner Blues....I’ve been recording the series...last week I watched an episode with Stevie Wonder and Bill Monroe....

.....as much as I dig the guest performers Johnny Cash is amazing on that show....he’s at the peak of his abilities and delivers great renditions and does a lot of social commentary with Hank Williams/ Luke the Drifter style spoken word stuff...

....i was sixteen when the show was originally airing and wasn’t watching TV much so I never saw it until recently...
Old 07-20-2020, 08:48 AM

Taylor814, thanks for the posting the video link. I enjoyed that a lot.

Brooklyn Bob, that link ended up being a bottomless pit. Amazing how many links popped up with that!

Always liked Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins, so it was fun to see them play with Derek and the Dominos.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-20-2020, 08:53 AM

A rather nice D-41S...it appears...slung off of Mr. Cash's neck. He owned some amazing guitars through the years, both Martin, Gibson, and Larson...and goodness knows who and what else. But that D-41S is a beauty.

Any of you fellas get nervous looking at how Johnny had it slung Bandito style over his back, headstock down...wondering if the strap would pull off of the end pin?...hmmmm?...be honest now {;-).

My friend, luthier John Greven, once saw Johnny slide a brazilian D-35, on it's back, across about 30 feet of the Grand Old Opry stage to a stage hand. A few years later, one of Johnny's managers ordered a guitar from John for Mr. Cash. John made it out of Indian Rosewood, and I asked him, why not brazilian? John said after seeing Johnny slide that guitar across the stage on it's back, he didn't want to use brazilian...just in case...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up

Great!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I don't think many people who are old enough to have heard him with Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, or Derek & the Dominos feel that way. I think it's mostly younger folks who came into a world that Clapton shared with Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Ray Vaughan, years after Hendrix was gone, and didn't hear enough flash in his playing for their taste. For sure, if some of his blues on Mayall's "Beano" album appeared for the first time today, it would probably be considered tasteful but unexceptional.

But in the context of the early/mid 60's, when blues was still mostly thought of as "race music", particularly in the US, what he did was basically revolutionary and opened up so many of us to blues we might not have heard, if not for him. For sure, a lot of English kids were treading some of the same ground - the Stones started out as basically a purist blues band too and made it their own in a very different way. We have been Led to it eventually (pun intended), but Clapton was the first to gain real popularity with it and play it like he meant it. Which if you know his backstory, he did - it was his lifeline.

I still love the guy. He and BB King were the two guys I always tried to play like in my first years of playing. Until Mark Knopfler came along and he jumped right into that list. I never got close to any of them, but I sort of found what I could do by trying to do what I couldn't. Do I still listen to him? Not that much, but some. But then again, I don't listen to music non-stop like I did in my 20s and 30s. I play a lot more and listen a lot less

-Ray.
I think that's a key demographic in the "Clapton, he ain't so hot" brigade.

I had a late friend whose wheelhouse for guitarists he liked was more at the experimentalists. Sonny Sharrock, David Torn, Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, Vernon Reid, and even more obscure artists than those. He was still a huge Cream fan (as I was, and am) and always appreciated Clapton. It's all in the phrasing and tasty choices, as well as some very nice timbral choices that were influential in their time: that Beano turn a Marshall up with a Les Paul tone, the bass-roll-off "woman tone", the clean to crunchy Straty tones (such as are on display in the clips here), even the popularization of 000/OM body styles for rock players in the "unplugged" era.

By the end of The Sixties, being the "Greatest Guitarist" or "Greatest Rock Guitarist" was a millstone and most people can't handle that kind of situation, and Clapton was one of those "most." And it makes you the guy that the musical newcomers, up and comers, and hipsters love to take down a peg. And in the end, as you point out, when you change how people play, sound and approach the instrument, a likely result as time moves on is for people to hear you and say "well, yeah, everyone does that--what's so special..." when someone like Clapton and the success he had is the very reason "everyone does that."

The hipster/contraian/complicarian in me can point out he wasn't the only one reframing the electric guitar, that he "stole" a lot of his licks and reframed them in a different white/exotic swinging London/long-hair/he-knows-the-Beatles (and their wives) way and that he could overplay his limited vocabulary in the Live Cream* era. But as Wade points out, that's all beside the point. Massively, obtusely, beside the point.

*Something Clapton himself seemed to feel, and an era of his playing that I still listen to with pleasure from time to time, because I real hear three good musicians hanging on for dear life with everything turned up too loud in a time when monitors and controlling stage volume might as well be warp-drive spaceships.

But listen, I can prove I'm a hipster. I actually like some of his later pop records.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 07-20-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-2020, 11:53 AM

I have seen that many times. I also like the live performances that Clapton, Dave Edmunds, Ringo and George Harrison did with Carl Perkins.

Perkins strikes me as having a blast with these British guys playing his music. Kind of like they were all his rock and roll god children.

There was some of that with Muddy Waters and the younger white artists too, but it was more complicated, of course.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Correct spelling is Derek and the Dominos, by the way.

Yeah, I do that a lot. In seventh grade I did a report for my music class on a new band called "Lead Zeppelin". The first thing my teacher did was point out I misspelled their name.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
....just watched that entire show last night....Also on the the show was Ramblin Jack Elliot with Norman Blake on guitar...they did Muleskinner Blues....I’ve been recording the series...last week I watched an episode with Stevie Wonder and Bill Monroe....

.....as much as I dig the guest performers Johnny Cash is amazing on that show....he’s at the peak of his abilities and delivers great renditions and does a lot of social commentary with Hank Williams/ Luke the Drifter style spoken word stuff...

....i was sixteen when the show was originally airing and wasn’t watching TV much so I never saw it until recently...
Agree! By the look on Clapton’s face I think he’d agree also. Sure seemed like he was digging getting to play flanked by Cash and Perkins.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
One of the things that I like best about this forum is the robust derision that has usually greeted interlopers who hate Eric Clapton and assume that most of us share their contempt for him.

To me, badmouthing Eric Clapton and his musicianship is completely unfathomable. He’s a true giant, so far as I’m concerned, yet there are a significant number of Clapton haters online who relish denigrating him.

The few times that people have started Clapton-bashing threads on here, they haven’t exactly swept the rest of us off our feet and made us want to get out the torches and pitchforks to join in with their mob mentality. Instead, reason and sanity have prevailed and those who want to deride Clapton have found themselves being derided instead.

My response has usually been along the lines of: “I’m sure you’re correct, but first please list all the gold and platinum records that YOU’VE recorded, so we have a basis for comparison...”

The response to that has always been complete silence, as if I’m somehow being unfair to ask them to prove that they’re as good or better musically than the man they think worthy of contempt.

Anyway, Clapton is one of the greats, regardless of what some malcontents with Internet access would like to have us believe. Thanks for posting the link - that’s the first time I’ve seen it:

Wade Hampton Miller
I happen to like Clapton quite a bit, but I disagree with your post on two points:

(1) You state your opinion about Clapton as if it was the only acceptable one. It is not.

(2) You seem to suggest that only people who make gold/platinum albums have a right to express an opinion about Clapton. If that is true, then you presumably have no right to express an opinion about Clapton either.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:20 PM

I had seen and recorded cash shows with Roy Orbison, hank Williams jr, Waylon, Kristopherson, Linda ronstadt, the monkees, mother May belle on her autoharp, Joni Mitchell.That show was happening here WAY before it’s time..
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 07-20-2020, 05:32 PM

So cool. I played bass for six years in a tribute band, maybe cheekily called Eric and the Dominos. We loved that era...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN