The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2021, 05:07 AM

Default Crack repair

Hello, this is a Gibson Blues Master and I'm thinking of getting it at a very good price because of this crack in the back. This picture is the only reference I have so I don't know if it's all the way through the wood but I'm being told it isn't. Anyway, assuming the worst, is it repairable and how would a luthier go about fixing this and how much should I expect to pay? Thanks in advance for an input.

OK, so I can't figure out how to post the picture and the FAQ explanation is clear as mud. There is no "manage attachments" button on this page....

Last edited by blinddog; 03-11-2021 at 05:18 AM. Reason: picture
Old 03-11-2021, 05:31 AM

if you have a facebook account, upload it to facebook,

when viewing the full image, right click inside the image area, click on save image link or image link location.

open up a new post / or edit existing post, click the picture icon in the edit window, and paste the link from facebook there.

imgur also is a free hosting site, you can create an account there and do pretty much the same steps
Old 03-11-2021, 09:54 AM

https://www.blinddogstudios.com/specials

Here's a link to the picture, why does this have to be so hard???
Old 03-11-2021, 12:54 PM

Terrible photo, but that is not an easy repair. The back seam has opened up, which means that the back center reinforcement strip is loose and so are a couple of the back braces.

This also casts doubt about what else may be loose, and what kind of harsh humidity changes the guitar has been through.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:04 PM

it's not hard, this is what all these forums to have pictures in posts.

I just use my facebook account, at least I finally found something it's GOOD for!
Old 03-11-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
it's not hard, this is what all these forums to have pictures in posts.

I just use my facebook account, at least I finally found something it's GOOD for!
I couldn't figure out how to upload to my facebook account without actually posting the photo to my facebook page, that's why I just uploaded it to my own website and posted the link.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Terrible photo, but that is not an easy repair. The back seam has opened up, which means that the back center reinforcement strip is loose and so are a couple of the back braces.

This also casts doubt about what else may be loose, and what kind of harsh humidity changes the guitar has been through.
Yep, that guitar is out in Nevada where it's very dry. I think I'll probably pass based on your input.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddog View Post

OK, so I can't figure out how to post the picture and the FAQ explanation is clear as mud. There is no "manage attachments" button on this page....

1) you need to be a charter member (which is super inexpensive but pays the bills to run the servers etc)

2) you click the GO ADVANCED button which gives you extra editing features including manage attachments

very clear, no mud

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-13-2021, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post

Yeah, agree with Howard's assessment. This will be a complex repair because the back plates shrunk, and pulled away from the back-strip and braces as described by Howard.

To repair the crack, it needs to re-humidified first to see how the back plates respond. If the seam closes up when re-humidified, then the back plate seam, back strip and any loose braces will need to be glued and clamped.

If you're looking for a guitar to play right now, and not just a "project", I'd pass on this one.

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"
Old 04-10-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchtopLover View Post
Yeah, agree with Howard's assessment. This will be a complex repair because the back plates shrunk, and pulled away from the back-strip and braces as described by Howard.

To repair the crack, it needs to re-humidified first to see how the back plates respond. If the seam closes up when re-humidified, then the back plate seam, back strip and any loose braces will need to be glued and clamped.

If you're looking for a guitar to play right now, and not just a "project", I'd pass on this one.

I did pass on it. I think it sold for around $800

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair