The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-29-2020, 04:09 AM

Default Tárrega | Prelude No. 2 in A minor

Tárrega Friday, part XV.
Prelude No. 2 in A minor

Tárrega dedicated this short prelude to his most talented pupil, the great Miguel Llobet. The reaching harmonies are quite adventurous for Tárrega's more conservative musical language and the prelude paints a fitting portrait of Llobet's artistic character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2x7...dSbt9&index=15
Old 08-29-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Patrik,
That’s a beautiful piece, wonderfully played. Thanks for sharing it and it’s interesting history.

Can you tell us about your guitar and preferred strings? Appears to be cedar over rosewood. It doesn’t appear to be the spruced topped Cohen made instrument on your website.

I enjoy your playing and appreciate you sharing with us on the AGF.
Cheers,
Tom
Old 08-30-2020, 06:22 AM

Thank you Tom for your nice comment!

I used to play often with Savarez carbon strings for the clarity of sound but nowadays I find the sound of those a bit lacking of warmth. Nylon strings on the other hand have generally the warmth of sound but not clear and "sharp" enough for my taste. These Tárrega videos I made with Thomastik hard tension classical guitar strings (Thomastik is a very famous violin string maker) which I find a very nice combination of the qualities I mentioned before. Just when I thought I've found my favourite strings I used the strings for a contemporary music program and realised that the bass strings basically broke pretty easily from the fret points (my pieces required a lot of percussing elements on the strings). So the search for strings goes on...

The guitar is made by Rinaldo Vacca (from Sardegna, Italy) which is indeed cedar top with rosewood back and sides. The thing is that I usually get very bored with "cedar guitar sound" for the lack of clarity in the sound. I was giving a masterclass in Italy and he brought the guitar there for me to try it and for me it was the first ever cedar top guitar with not only warm sound but very clear and focused. I was so impressed that I order one on the same day! I had played the Cohen guitar for 11 years and was ready to turn the page for something completely new...
Old 08-30-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the reply, Patrik.
I find that all very interesting. With your playing, the guitar sounds fantastic.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

All my best to you,
Tom
Old 08-30-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Patrik, This is my first time watching and listening to your fine playing! You've just compelled me to view your entire TÁRREGA FRIDAY ALL SUMMER! series. Thanks for sharing your artistry with us!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-30-2020, 01:08 PM

Absolutely beautiful!
Old 08-31-2020, 05:27 AM

Thanks a lot SpruceTop and chuckv97!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
llobet, prelude 2, tarrega