The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Reason for High Action - per Description Below
Neck angle 1 14.29%
Neck relief (truss rod) 2 28.57%
Nut height 0 0%
Saddle height 2 28.57%
Summer humidity 0 0%
Other 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2020, 03:48 PM

Default Taylor GS mini - High Action and Setup

Hi All,

I have a Taylor GS mini that was built about 15 months ago. I like the guitar a lot--fun to play, great sound, looks good too! I am using Elixir PB 0.013 medium strings (Taylor-recommended for this model).

I've noticed that the action is higher than desired, and also higher than Taylor's specs for the 12th fret (about 2/64 higher than spec of 5/64 on low E). My low E string and B string intonation can sometimes run sharp up the neck as a result, though the other strings do pretty well.

I've checked, and (1) the neck angle is correct (aligns with the top of the bridge), (2) the neck relief is correct (if not TOO straight), and (3) the nut is just barely high (fretting the 3rd, checking the 1st fret), but not meaningfully.

(4) I know that Taylor prefers that the saddle NOT be sanded, but rather that the neck angle be adjusted, but I've already ruled out the neck angle in #1.

QUESTION 1: Does anyone have any thoughts on why else the action might be high?

QUESTION 2: Is it appropriate to use Taylor's factor spec guidance (neck angle, relief, action)--designed for full-size guitars--to evaluate the setup on a mini guitar? (Considering string tension, scale size, etc.)

QUESTION 3: the low E sometimes sounds slightly "dead" compared to the other strings. Could this be an uneven bridge slot, also leading to the higher action/height of standard Taylor saddle in the slot?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 07-30-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

You said that you checked the neck relief. So maybe it is fine, I don't know. But I took mine and got on the truss rod. I brought the relief down until I got some buzzing, then put a little more in until it went away. Everything is working fine now and it wasn't hard to do. But I didn't use some gauge to determine what it was supposed to be, I adjusted it until it sounded good and played well.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Just take it to an authorized Taylor repairperson. If the neck angle is already perfect, then playing with the neck shims likely isn't going to help the action, and the saddle needs to be shaved. But someone who works on these kinds of guitars on a daily basis will be able to give you the best recommendation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
action, gs mini, neck angle, setup, taylor