The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 12:05 AM

Default Taylor GS Mini Saddle Height

I had my Taylor GS Mini setup by a luthier but I'm not happy with how it sounds now. I had it setup to low action and string gauge changed to .11-.052. Unfortunately, the high e string is buzzing on the 1st and 2nd frets and I have to play really carefully while strumming as it sounds unclean.

I bought replacement saddle because I now prefer the stock action of the guitar. I bought the Graphtech TUSQ Acoustic Saddle Compensated 1/8 PQ-9200-C0. Would it need to be sanded to match the stock height? Or will this fit? Do you have any recommendation so I'd get the full GS mini experience?
Old 09-19-2020, 12:28 AM

Thumbs up

Original guage for GS Mini is 13-56. I used to put 11-52 on my gs mini but now prefer 12-53 for a louder tone. As the scale length is 23.5”, the string tension is lower than a full-scale guitar (25.4”). So if you really prefer 11 guage strings, your saddle cannot be too low. Otherwise you will get buzzing when playing. It also depends on how hard a person strums. So action of the guitar varies with each individual.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-19-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

I'm not surprised your gs mini sounds bad and buzzes when played. You have set your guitar tech an impossible task: to maintain tone and volume at standard pitch whilst reducing the action and string gauge on a short scale guitar. Physically, that's just not going to work out well.

Having a 23.5" scale is like tuning a normal scale length guitar down a step in terms of tension. Going down in string gauge to 11s is going to make the tension even slacker. The stings will not be vibrating effectively or providing the energy the guitar top needs to vibrate well.

Fitting a higher bridge may solve the buzzing but it will not bring back the guitars original tone. You need to go back to the original string gauge, which may in itself solve the buzzing on the lower frets.

Many players fit medium gauge (13-56) strings to a gs mini because of the shorter scale.

A new bridge will almost certainly need to be sanded to the correct height for any guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-19-2020, 12:49 AM

Slacken off your strings or remove them if they need changing.
The saddle should be a snug fit but you should be able to pull it out.
Measure it's height - I use a Vernier Caliper with a digital readout - you know this measurement is too low and you're experiencing string buzz.
Now measure the height of your new TUSQ saddle - my guess is it will higher.

In this case you will need to lower the TUSQ saddle by sanding the bottom but leave it taller than your current one.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-19-2020, 02:06 AM

I cant remember specific details here so apologies in advance, but when I had a GS Mini Koa, it had a damaged saddle, so I ordered a replacement directly from Taylor. When it arrived It looked totally different (compensation wise) to the one already installed, and although it fitted the slot the intonation was way out. I contacted Taylor and explained this and they told me I needed the "other one" which they kindly sent at no extra charge (even though it should have been more expensive for some reason). This when it came resembled the original exactly, and intonation was good again. So just because a saddle fits the slot and is sold as "fits Taylor guitars" it may not be the right one for your particular guitar and its worth checking that the string contact points are the same pattern.
I agree totally with what others have said about the strings, I cant imagine 11 gauge being a success on so short a scale. Rubber bands come to mind!

Last edited by NotveryGood; 09-19-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:22 AM

I actually got the idea to change the string gauge to .11 because of some posts I see that it helped the string tension and belly bulge. But thanks for this. I'll install 13s again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I'm not surprised your gs mini sounds bad and buzzes when played. You have set your guitar tech an impossible task: to maintain tone and volume at standard pitch whilst reducing the action and string gauge on a short scale guitar. Physically, that's just not going to work out well.

Having a 23.5" scale is like tuning a normal scale length guitar down a step in terms of tension. Going down in string gauge to 11s is going to make the tension even slacker. The stings will not be vibrating effectively or providing the energy the guitar top needs to vibrate well.

Fitting a higher bridge may solve the buzzing but it will not bring back the guitars original tone. You need to go back to the original string gauge, which may in itself solve the buzzing on the lower frets.

Many players fit medium gauge (13-56) strings to a gs mini because of the shorter scale.

A new bridge will almost certainly need to be sanded to the correct height for any guitar.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:24 AM

It indeed sounds like a rubber band now. I'm gonna try and reinstall 13s strings and see how it would sound with the lowered saddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
I cant remember specific details here so apologies in advance, but when I had a GS Mini Koa, it had a damaged saddle, so I ordered a replacement directly from Taylor. When it arrived It looked totally different (compensation wise) to the one already installed, and although it fitted the slot the intonation was way out. I contacted Taylor and explained this and they told me I needed the "other one" which they kindly sent at no extra charge (even though it should have been more expensive for some reason). This when it came resembled the original exactly, and intonation was good again. So just because a saddle fits the slot and is sold as "fits Taylor guitars" it may not be the right one for your particular guitar and its worth checking that the string contact points are the same pattern.
I agree totally with what others have said about the strings, I cant imagine 11 gauge being a success on so short a scale. Rubber bands come to mind!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:39 AM

The way to adjust action on a Taylor is to first change the neck shims to get the angle right — not sanding the saddle down. Once the neck angle is correct, only then can the saddle be sanded slightly to get the last tiny increment of string height change. Your luthier is not a Taylor-trained tech or would know better, and therefore won’t have access to the shims. Replace the lowered saddle and start over. Sanding the saddle is the ONLY option with a dovetail neck, and what most techs default to.

The other part of the problem is that 11’s are too light for that short scale length. Put the 13’s back on, and if you still need easier playing feel, tune them down a half-step to Eb, instead of standard pitch. You could try tuning a whole step down to D-d but that may get you into buzzing and floppiness again.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I had trouble with action on my GS mini. The neck angle was pretty flat. almost convex. The action at the 12th fret was high on the low strings. If I tightened the truss rod, the high E would buzz at 2 & 3 fret. So, I backed off the truss rod. I checked the saddle. It seemed high. So I took it out and sanded it on a bevel to lower the bass side (about 1/16) and not the treble side. Put it back in. torqued up the strings.

Works much better now. I use 13s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
graphtech, gs mini, saddle, taylor