The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 PM

For anyone considering upgrading the bridge pins, I just installed a set of Taylor ebony pins with abalone dots on my 2016 GS Mini Koa, and although the new pins are shorter and wider they went straight in after a detune.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:56 AM

Yes, I can also confirm magirus' post.

It's the first thing I did - swapped out the (awful) black plastic pins. Installed Taylor's own Ebony & Alabone bridge pins and they fitted perfectly. Yes, they are shorter (and a tad wider) but a very smooth installation indeed. No issues.

I will be adding an Ebony truss rod cover as soon as I can. Quite possibly change the tuner buttons to some Ebony ones too...

Will add photos when I get a chance.

I love my GSM Koa.

“…a highly experienced musician, tutor & multi-instrumentalist…”
Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMusicMan View Post
Yes, I can also confirm magirus' post.

It's the first thing I did - swapped out the (awful) black plastic pins. Installed Taylor's own Ebony & Alabone bridge pins and they fitted perfectly. Yes, they are shorter (and a tad wider) but a very smooth installation indeed. No issues.

I will be adding an Ebony truss rod cover as soon as I can. Quite possibly change the tuner buttons to some Ebony ones too...

Will add photos when I get a chance.

I love my GSM Koa.

I have an ebony TRC en route from WEC Inlay, via his ebay store "acmesupergenius". I'd be interested to know if you find any ebony tuner buttons, there's loads out there, but nothing I've seen of quality that will definitely fit. If all else fails then Gotoh 510 tuners look to be the business.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirus View Post
I have an ebony TRC en route from WEC Inlay, via his ebay store "acmesupergenius". I'd be interested to know if you find any ebony tuner buttons, there's loads out there, but nothing I've seen of quality that will definitely fit. If all else fails then Gotoh 510 tuners look to be the business.
Thanks for the heads up magirus! I'll take a look on the eBay store this evening.

Yes, the Gotoh 510s are great...I've seen a few GS Mini mods with them and it's definitely a nice touch.

“…a highly experienced musician, tutor & multi-instrumentalist…”
Old 03-30-2017, 06:38 AM

My TRC arrived this morning, 8 days from ordering, Canada to UK. The quality is excellent, the 3 screw holes line up precisely. Fitted, both it and the Taylor bridge pins give the guitar a nice visual lift. Here's a couple of quick phone pics, the parts look nicer "in the wood" as they change as the angle and light change. Now for that F chord . . . ;-)

Old 03-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

^ - Looks great Magirus!
Congratulations.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 PM

This thread came to the top the day I bought a GS Mini off Craigslist. I Plan to use this guitar to accompany my school choir. I would have never thought to do the upgrades but after a day sitting at home here's what I have ordered:

Mini Gotoh 510 antique Gold 18:1 from Japarts
Found the Taylor wave bone saddle on Amazon
Found ebony bridge pins w/abalone dots on Amazon

Still to come: Custom truss rod cover, Dazzo #70 pickup, A.S.S. (Acoustic Strap Secure)

I also shot off a letter to Bob asking him to build a 816 mini and save us all the trouble. Although it's fun. Thanks for the good tips everybody.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
This thread came to the top the day I bought a GS Mini off Craigslist. I Plan to use this guitar to accompany my school choir. I would have never thought to do the upgrades but after a day sitting at home here's what I have ordered:

Mini Gotoh 510 antique Gold 18:1 from Japarts
Found the Taylor wave bone saddle on Amazon
Found ebony bridge pins w/abalone dots on Amazon

Still to come: Custom truss rod cover, Dazzo #70 pickup, A.S.S. (Acoustic Strap Secure)

I also shot off a letter to Bob asking him to build a 816 mini and save us all the trouble. Although it's fun. Thanks for the good tips everybody.

I'll be grateful for any info/tips you can give re installing the Gotohs when you have fitted them.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

After 309 posts, time to start anew...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
customizations, gs mini, mini, mods, upgrades