The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-12-2022, 01:52 PM

I have a curiosity question. Last year I traded for a 1962 G6124 Anniversary, with a single Hi-Lo Tron (which I really like) and a retrofitted proper Bigsby B6 with the aluminium Bigsby bridge (also have the original tailpiece). I traded a 1962 Gibson Melody Maker for it. I wanted it because when I was 20 I bought a late 1950's probably Tennessean (with painted on F-holes, and one pickup) when I was deployed at the Montreal Olympics.

My question is how would you Gretsch experts compare and contrast a 60 year old G6124 to the newer Korean guitars, and as well to the new Chinese guitars? Assuming my guitar is around 90% as far as fit and finish is concerned.

Last edited by MC5C; 03-13-2022 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
Am I insane? I can get a brand new Chinese made G5420T For maybe a little over $100 more than I can get a Korean made used one. I have been shopping for used Korean made Fairlane Blue, but now questioning my rationale for holding out for a used Korean built one versus a brand new Chinese made one.
I am looking to sell or trade in my Epiphone Wildkat as part of this purchase. I guess it’s a little piece of me that feels like if I’m letting go of one Chinese made guitar (although I have to admit the fit and finish is good on the Wildkat - pots are good, but maybe it’s just me but the selector switch seems a little Loose) Do I really want another Chinese made guitar to replace it.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks.
I don't think you're insane at all. I think the MIK ones will appreciate somewhat in value as they become harder to find. Conversely, the MIC ones will be common and plentiful. That's definitely happening right now with other brands, such as Epiphone.
Old 03-12-2022, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
Am I insane? I can get a brand new Chinese made G5420T For maybe a little over $100 more than I can get a Korean made used one. I have been shopping for used Korean made Fairlane Blue, but now questioning my rationale for holding out for a used Korean built one versus a brand new Chinese made one.
I am looking to sell or trade in my Epiphone Wildkat as part of this purchase. I guess it’s a little piece of me that feels like if I’m letting go of one Chinese made guitar (although I have to admit the fit and finish is good on the Wildkat - pots are good, but maybe it’s just me but the selector switch seems a little Loose) Do I really want another Chinese made guitar to replace it.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks.
It's a good question. Personally, I own maybe 4 or 5 MIK Gretsch Electros and 4 or 5 Chinese made Electros. I don't hear or feel any perceivable differences in tone between them (aside from construction methods and pickups that are specific to models). I also owned a Wildkat for a time. Nice guitar too! It was a bit "dark" for my taste at the time. I think new pickups would have fixed that.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 03-12-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
...My question is how would you Gretsch experts compare and contrast a 60 year old G6124 to the newer Korean guitars, and as well to the new Chinese guitars? Assuming my guitar is around 90% as far as fit and finish is concerned.
Hard to say as IME Gretsch QC at that time was all over the map (as a former owner and luthier I'm sure you're familiar with the neck-heel dowel, either through the back of the body into the neck block or, as in the case of my own '64 Double Annie through the top of the neck heel - and the reasons for same), especially with the low- and mid-line models. What I can say is that the MIK E-matics are not only high-quality but very consistent in terms of fit/finish/playability, and while I haven't yet had the chance to play the 2022 MIC models, in my hands the first-run 2019 versions didn't have the same feel (I won't get into tone, which to my ears was reminiscent of the very same full-size humbuckers they discontinued on their MIK models in 2012 - I understand the new FT-5E pickups may have addressed that issue). As with everything else guitar, YMMV - if at all possible I'd strongly recommend an A/B comparison test at your friendly local guitar shop, and you be the judge...
Old 03-20-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
If the used one is mint I would go for that. I'm assuming you can't find any new fairlane blue models? I have to say I love my MIK 5420T but I have no clue if it's really better than the new Chinese version. I do like the rosewood.fretboard on the Korean models. Good luck I hope you find something soon. If you find a new blue one in stock call the seller for the best price!

Edit: I just saw Sweetwater has one more G5420Tg-59 in stock and I'm relatively sure if you call them they would come down on the price. I almost bought that model because of the classic orange color but I didn't want the gold hardware. Really beautiful guitar.
I have the G5420TG Limited Edition Electromatic '50s Hollow Body Single-Cut with Bigsby Orange Stain. Its a very guitar, it has the Gold hardware which looks great, but if I had the choice, I would have passed on the gold.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:34 AM

Ok, thank you for a lot of insight here. After a few years of back-and-forth, saving money etc. next week I am finally going to get my Gretsch 5420 that I’ve thought about for so long. So that’s sad, my last question is … is there a difference between a 2017 made in Korea or a 2021 made in Korea G5420t. Post guitars are in excellent, I would say mint condition. The 2017 is Aspen Green the 2021 is Fairlane Blue. I always had my heart set on the Fairlane blue but seeing the Aspen green, it is pretty nice. Plus for some reason the 2017 Aspen Green one is $55 (before tax) less. They are at separate places for sale.

Thanks again for the input here. The information and education I get from this site is invaluable.
2018 Taylor Academy 12e
2007 Dean Performer ce
Electric -
2014 Fender Telecaster Modern Player
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2021 Gretsch Tri Five G5410t
1960-70’s-ish Heit SG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars