The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-26-2021, 04:50 AM

Default NGD!l and NPD!

First I wanted a reverb pedal with a delay. After much researching, I had to go with the EHX Oceans 12. It was a hard decision. But for the past week or so, I’ve been wanting this LP studio from 2016 in fireburst finish. The only catch was no hard case. So I got it for cash and a guitar trade. Still well under the price it usually goes for. This is my first Gibson and couldn’t be more excited!

Old 06-26-2021, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I’m not a humbucker guy, but that’s a sweet looking Lester regardless. And I’d really love to play around with an Oceans 12 some day - looks like fun. Although I have my set and forget reverb and delay pedals already well established, so I’ll probably never get around to it.

Enjoy!

-Ray
Old 06-26-2021, 06:42 AM

Fantastic! Beautiful fireburst. I ordered a fireburst Studio back in 2006 but they were backordered so I went to the local store and bought the wine red with gold hardware Studio instead. That was my 2nd Les Paul after my '99 Standard.

I just checked the specs, 490R / 498T pickups. That's what I have in my studio and they are awesome for hard rock / metal.

In case you're interested, here's Gibson's specs for the 2016 studios. Save it as a PDF for future reference.
http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...ul-Studio.aspx
Old 06-26-2021, 07:07 AM

Sweet Guitar! Who needs binding? Those two additions along with your currnet rig should keep you occupied for a long time. Play in good health! RB
Old 06-26-2021, 12:37 PM

Default NGD!l and NPD!

1neeto, Beautiful Studio. I have one also.
Look at the SKB LP case before you spend on the Gibson offering. I thought the SKB was much more substantial than the bespoke Gibson case.
(tape job was from me)

Last edited by Chickee; 06-26-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:55 PM

Default NGD!l and NPD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Congrats! I’m not a humbucker guy, but that’s a sweet looking Lester regardless. And I’d really love to play around with an Oceans 12 some day - looks like fun. Although I have my set and forget reverb and delay pedals already well established, so I’ll probably never get around to it.

Enjoy!

-Ray
Thanks! That pedal looks complicated, but it’s actually quite easy to dial a nice tone with it right away. I’m barely scratching the surface discovering what this thing can do, but so far it’s been easy to dial a tone and get lost in ambient bliss with my guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! Beautiful fireburst. I ordered a fireburst Studio back in 2006 but they were backordered so I went to the local store and bought the wine red with gold hardware Studio instead. That was my 2nd Les Paul after my '99 Standard.

I just checked the specs, 490R / 498T pickups. That's what I have in my studio and they are awesome for hard rock / metal.

In case you're interested, here's Gibson's specs for the 2016 studios. Save it as a PDF for future reference.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...ul-Studio.aspx
Thanks for that link! That’s a very detailed spec sheet for sure. I was almost expecting to see the screw material and weight lol! I didn’t even know it has coil splitting, and yes, those pickups sound sweet. No need to change them. And it also answered the question why this guitar is so light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
Sweet Guitar! Who needs binding? Those two additions along with your currnet rig should keep you occupied for a long time. Play in good health! RB

Thanks! It’s a no bells no whistles let’s get to work kind of guitar. Love the finish, and the nitro finish is already showing signs of natural aging.

Last edited by 1neeto; 06-26-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
1neeto, Beautiful Studio. I have one also.
Look at the SKB LP case before you spend on the Gibson offering. I thought the SKB was much more substantial than the bespoke Gibson case.
(tape job was from me)

Thanks! Yeah I’ll eventually buy a case for it, SKB cases are no joke!
Old 06-26-2021, 02:21 PM

Default NGD!l and NPD!

Now here’s something odd. According to the spec sheet and pictures from the site, this guitar should have push pull pots, but this one doesn’t. But the pots are clearly conventional. Doesn’t make sense to me for someone to remove push-pull pots and install regular ones.

Also, it has a pick guard. If you look at the Gibson pic that shows all the finishes available, the Fireburst is the only one that doesn’t have one. This is definitely odd.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:59 AM

Hey - it looks legit to me. Here's a pic of my 2018 Gibson Les Paul Studio electronics. Notice how two of the pots have that 'black hat' on top? Guessing that's the push/pull knobs that yours is missing. Not sure why that is.

Email Gibson with your guitar serial number and some pics and they'll let you know. Regardless, you have the real deal.

Dru's Les Paul Studio:

Old 06-27-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Hey - it looks legit to me. Here's a pic of my 2018 Gibson Les Paul Studio electronics. Notice how two of the pots have that 'black hat' on top? Guessing that's the push/pull knobs that yours is missing. Not sure why that is.

Email Gibson with your guitar serial number and some pics and they'll let you know. Regardless, you have the real deal.

Dru's Les Paul Studio:

Yeah I don’t think it’s a fake, I mean why fake a studio? I think it could be one of those weird guitars that somehow started as something, and ended as something else at the end of the assembly line. But I’ll email Gibson because I’m seriously curious about this guitar now.

She plays really well, couldn’t put her down for hours today. And it definitely has that LP tone, and get this, I got a better tone out of my Katana than with my boogie with this guitar. It was one of those things a bit hard to swallow. [emoji23]
Old 06-27-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yeah I don’t think it’s a fake, I mean why fake a studio? I think it could be one of those weird guitars that somehow started as something, and ended as something else at the end of the assembly line. But I’ll email Gibson because I’m seriously curious about this guitar now.

She plays really well, couldn’t put her down for hours today. And it definitely has that LP tone, and get this, I got a better tone out of my Katana than with my boogie with this guitar. It was one of those things a bit hard to swallow. [emoji23]
Try your Boogie with a medium amount of gain (less than what you would usually use) and then boost in in front with an OD pedal. Another option is to try the Boogie on clean or slightly dirty and use a distortion pedal in front. You never know. I'm assuming that you like the hard rock/metal tone but I may have you confused with someone else.

As far as the push/pull knobs go, someone may have grabbed the wrong electronics lol.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Try your Boogie with a medium amount of gain (less than what you would usually use) and then boost in in front with an OD pedal. Another option is to try the Boogie on clean or slightly dirty and use a distortion pedal in front. You never know. I'm assuming that you like the hard rock/metal tone but I may have you confused with someone else.

As far as the push/pull knobs go, someone may have grabbed the wrong electronics lol.

I was on the clean channel and using my copperhead drive (Marshall in a box) distortion pedal. The tone sounded a bit thin, but I was playing at low volume so that is something to consider too.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I was on the clean channel and using my copperhead drive (Marshall in a box) distortion pedal. The tone sounded a bit thin, but I was playing at low volume so that is something to consider too.
OT: I can't see/hear the word 'copperhead' without thinking about Steve Earle's Copperhead Road... I was a big fan of that song when it came out.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
OT: I can't see/hear the word 'copperhead' without thinking about Steve Earle's Copperhead Road... I was a big fan of that song when it came out.

Not subtle that it’s a Marshall emulator. It has the tone, especially when boosted with that mini tube screamer. But the patch I downloaded for the Katana is more on point. I’m sure I just need to spend a bit more time dialing it. I’m also thinking of getting an attenuator pedal so I can drive my power tubes a bit harder without having the cops knocking on my door.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:18 PM

Sweetwater has a more accurate description.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...atin-fireburst

It has the pick guard and it says nothing about coil splitting. Weird it’s not listed in the Gibson site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars