The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-27-2020, 12:35 AM

Default NAD!

Been gasing for a practice amp for at least six months now. Watched all kinds of video reviews, and played a few at the store, and the winner is the Katana 50 MKII. Played a bit with it trying to dial in some tones, and I like its ease of use. Super excited to see what tones I can get out of this thing.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:01 AM

Congrats! Katana has been one of the hottest amps on the market past couple of years. I'm sure you'll find some great tones.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:15 AM

My one and only is a Katana 50 MkII. I'm FAR from a seasoned electric player and not a tone chaser. But it has been great for me. I play mostly on the .5w setting or headphoned up in my rec room to keep peace in the house. But boy can it get loud, especially on the 50w setting. I've only dabbled with the Tone Studio software, but it seems to have almost endless possibilities. Something I'll definitely be exploring more in depth in the future.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:23 PM

Thanks guys. Didn’t get to play with it all that much yesterday, but for the 15 minutes I messed with it and experimented, I was able to dial some decent tones. The ease of use was one of the selling points for me. I’ll probably buy a foot switch for it. I think it takes standard boss latch style switches.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:12 PM

I have one... great lil amp!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Thanks guys. Didn’t get to play with it all that much yesterday, but for the 15 minutes I messed with it and experimented, I was able to dial some decent tones. The ease of use was one of the selling points for me. I’ll probably buy a foot switch for it. I think it takes standard boss latch style switches.
Yes, standard latching switch works to switch between channels and banks. I got the one linked below from Reverb, and it works very well. It's pretty small though, so to some that might be a turnoff.

https://reverb.com/item/9245165-simp...ual-amp-switch
Old 10-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Default NAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTerp View Post
Yes, standard latching switch works to switch between channels and banks. I got the one linked below from Reverb, and it works very well. It's pretty small though, so to some that might be a turnoff.

https://reverb.com/item/9245165-simp...ual-amp-switch

Oh nice! My guess it needs a TRS cable since there’s only one input?
Old 10-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Oh nice! My guess it needs a TRS cable since there’s only one input?
Correct on the TRS cable.

It's also left switch channels and right switch banks. So if you were in channel 1 bank A and wanted to switch to channel 2 bank B it would require 2 stomps. Not a big deal for me, but worth mentioning. There is another switch out there from Bright Onion Pedals that has a switch for each channel/bank combination. Reviews are good, but it's pushing $100 after shipping. I think it's the only one out there with instant one stomp access to each channel/bank.

https://www.brightonion.co.uk/katana-preset-footswitch/
Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Correct on the TRS cable.

It's also left switch channels and right switch banks. So if you were in channel 1 bank A and wanted to switch to channel 2 bank B it would require 2 stomps. Not a big deal for me, but worth mentioning. There is another switch out there from Bright Onion Pedals that has a switch for each channel/bank combination. Reviews are good, but it's pushing $100 after shipping. I think it's the only one out there with instant one stomp access to each channel/bank.

https://www.brightonion.co.uk/katana-preset-footswitch/

About to order this one from Amazon. And a TRS cable of course since I don’t have one. Should also work with my old Crate amp too.

Hosa FSC-385 Footswitch, Guitar-style, Dual-latching https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXKUL0..._JL5MFbJ9TVWV6
Old 10-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
About to order this one from Amazon. And a TRS cable of course since I don’t have one. Should also work with my old Crate amp too.

Hosa FSC-385 Footswitch, Guitar-style, Dual-latching https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXKUL0..._JL5MFbJ9TVWV6
This one gets good reviews for the Katana as well.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
This one gets good reviews for the Katana as well.

Yep that’s why I ordered it!
Old 10-31-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
...It's also left switch channels and right switch banks. So if you were in channel 1 bank A and wanted to switch to channel 2 bank B it would require 2 stomps...There is another switch out there from Bright Onion Pedals that has a switch for each channel/bank combination. Reviews are good, but it's pushing $100 after shipping...
Reminds me why I'm a lifetime guitar-cable-amp guy: my instrument +my amp + my hands = my signature tones and nobody else's...

Less really is more, often as not...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars